Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by nycaviationnerd
Approved today!

Applied June 7
Approved July 2 - no interview required, no need for a new card!
So you were renewing then?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And ... during my five year history, I was transient for a few months without a set address. the renewal doesn't allow for gaps but not sure what to put in. I had my mail forwarded to my office during that time.
Can you enter something like "various addresses - traveling for xxx in yyy, zzz, aaa" and a date range? Might be easier to explain that entry than a total gap.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: United 1Kx12, MARR PLife
Lightbulb Renew GE While Active!

Helpful Tip: Renew your GE while it is still active. Renewal application will extend the the GE Benefits for 6 months.
My GE expired in June. Discovered it when the Pre-Check wasn't on my Boarding pass a week after.
Reapplied and paid immediately (June 22) and now waiting (2 weeks today) for response.
What is the experience for the need to re-interview on a renewal? Website says "may" be required.

"On renewal you may or may not be selected for an interview. If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date)."
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by arcadisgc
Helpful Tip: Renew your GE while it is still active. Renewal application will extend the the GE Benefits for 6 months.
My GE expired in June. Discovered it when the Pre-Check wasn't on my Boarding pass a week after.
Reapplied and paid immediately (June 22) and now waiting (2 weeks today) for response.
What is the experience for the need to re-interview on a renewal? Website says "may" be required.

"On renewal you may or may not be selected for an interview. If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date)."
Welcome to FT. Did you reapply after your Global Entry had expired already?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:49 am

Reapplied a week after expiration.
Until approval, I am experiencing the "old days" of shoes off, liquid and laptops out, and passport controls !
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:01 pm

Reapplied a week after expiration.
Until approval, I am experiencing the "old days" of shoes off, liquid and laptops out, and passport controls !
Therefore, "On renewal you may or may not be selected for an interview. If you submit a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date)." does not apply to you.

Next time, renew the day after your birthday on the 4th year.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:29 pm

Thank you. That's very good advice and how I started the conversation - especially since I see that some in this thread did not get a "notice" of expiration.
My status is listed as a "Renewal," so I may fall within the following: "Also, a renewal may be approved without needing to schedule another interview. In this case, a new card will be mailed to the address on file."

However, you may be correct that I lost the opportunity for a approval without and interview. We'll see.
Still wondering of the turn around times for the review to be completed.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
So you were renewing then?
yes, I was renewing. I had unknowingly let my GE expire in mid-May.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:35 pm

Thank you. That's very good advice and how I started the conversation - especially since I see that some in this thread did not get a "notice" of expiration.
My status is listed as a "Renewal," so I may fall within the following: "Also, a renewal may be approved without needing to schedule another interview. In this case, a new card will be mailed to the address on file."

However, you may be correct that I lost the opportunity for a approval without and interview. We'll see.
Still wondering of the turn around times for the review to be completed.
Please keep us posted. There might be a grace period after expiration date which still qualifies for a renewal.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Expiration November 2018.
Migrated over to the new site and submitted renewal June 18.
Renewal approved June 24. (No interview)
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
Thank you for your offer to entertain questions. I have one:

My wife and I just applied for renewal. We have exactly the same international travel history. She was renewed immediately and I was informed that I needed to come in for an interview. Can you give me some insight on this situation? What other variables might be in play?

Thanks again.
The same exact thing happened to me: I have to go for an interview and my wife was immediately approved.

I was surprised that there is still a several week wait for an interview. Looking at the schedule, it kind of feels like Customs just shuts off the calendar for the next few weeks and makes you wait. Not sure why.

BTW, how long do renewal interviews take, and are the officers ever late? To avoid a needless trip to my local airport (it takes me almost 40 minutes and parking is a PITA), I've scheduled mine for 2 hours before a flight from PHL. I assume that's enough leeway?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by iahphx
BTW, how long do renewal interviews take, and are the officers ever late?
My renewal interview was quite brief. Questions about travel and employment. Asked if I ever violated customs laws. Retook photo (horrible outcome).

I showed up way early for the interview, and was asked to wait. The agent ended up taking me before someone coming for their (earlier than me) appointment.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
My renewal interview was quite brief. Questions about travel and employment. Asked if I ever violated customs laws. Retook photo (horrible outcome).

I showed up way early for the interview, and was asked to wait. The agent ended up taking me before someone coming for their (earlier than me) appointment.
Did you tell the officer that you always violate customs laws? Seems like a pretty silly line of questioning. But if they're quick, they can ask me anything they want!

I did use the helpful (albeit slightly confusing) search function of the Global Entry website to match my travel to available interviews. I was able to find an early interview at EWR -- an airport where, logically, you'd think they might be backed up. Not the case at all. I do wonder if the staff at EWR might be "more serious" than at other airports, given that the risk of terrorism is more real in NYC than elsewhere. Of course, this could also work to my benefit: because they'd be more concerned about real terrorists, they'll quickly conclude I'm not a threat and won't hassle me with an overly bureaucratic process.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:39 am

Renewal Approved.

Both my wife and I submitted and paid on 6/11.
I just got approved today 7/08 with no interview.
Wife is stilling waiting......
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Submitted renewal late evening on 6/18/2018. No notification yet as of 7/10/2018. No changes to passport, address, employment. Visited European countries, I transited and visited Istanbul several times. I wonder if that is holding up my renewal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.