Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by marcdc

OF COURSE THIS HAPPENS!! After two months of waiting and having my renewal interview scheduled for today, I get the following email:

“Due to Government shutdown, the JFK Global Entry Enrollment Center is CLOSED. You may go online and reschedule your appointment once the Government Shutdown has ended.

Please note, the Enrollment Center will also be closed on Christmas Eve.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL”

Rescheduled for the first weekend after New Years hoping it’ll be good by then. Classic.

In prior periods of a “federal government shutdown”, at least some of the enrollment centers were open and doing the enrollment/renewal interviews during the shutdown. For example, the Reagan building in DC was open for them and easy for appointments because the city was devoid of a lot of routine traffic. NYC wouldn’t work in the same way as DC.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please discuss issues experienced with Trusted Travelers programs arising due to the US government shutdown in the following thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mnbp
Why do you want to renew GE and not renew NEXUS?

You wrote that "I got my Global Entry in 2013, and then NEXUS in 2015."

This means that starting in 2015 when your NEXUS was originally approved, your standalone GE membership was deleted, and today you have NEXUS (which includes GE and your NEXUS membership uses the same PASS ID - known traveler number - as your original GE used).

In 2019, you can initiate the renewal process for NEXUS, 364 days before your 2020 NEXUS expiration date (or one day after your 2019 birthday).

Remember, NEXUS includes GE. In 2015, your successful signup for NEXUS brought you all GE privileges as well. Don't be confused. As a NEXUS member, you have GE as part of NEXUS.

A GE renewal costs $100 for five years (current pricing). A NEXUS renewal (which includes GE) costs $50 for five years. Why do you want to renew GE when all you have to do is renew NEXUS?
So, my situation is similar. I applied and was approved for Global Entry in January 2014. I have a Global Entry card that indicates it will expire on my birthday, 2019 (May 2019). I separately applied and was approved for NEXUS in November 2016, as my job started requiring me to travel to Canada regularly. My NEXUS card indicates it will expire on my birthday, May 2022.

When I log into the new CBP Trusted Traveler Program dashboard, only my NEXUS membership shows up - Global Entry is not reflected. Based on above, I understand that's because my NEXUS approval replaces (and includes a new) GE membership. As such - do I understand correctly that I do not need to renew until after my birthday in May 2021 (for a renewal term starting 2022 for 5 years)?

This is really important for me to get correct! As someone who flies 3-4 times a week - I need TSA Pre-check to automatically work for me!

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by bluepig1
So, my situation is similar. I applied and was approved for Global Entry in January 2014. I have a Global Entry card that indicates it will expire on my birthday, 2019 (May 2019). I separately applied and was approved for NEXUS in November 2016, as my job started requiring me to travel to Canada regularly. My NEXUS card indicates it will expire on my birthday, May 2022.

When I log into the new CBP Trusted Traveler Program dashboard, only my NEXUS membership shows up - Global Entry is not reflected. Based on above, I understand that's because my NEXUS approval replaces (and includes a new) GE membership. As such - do I understand correctly that I do not need to renew until after my birthday in May 2021 (for a renewal term starting 2022 for 5 years)?

This is really important for me to get correct! As someone who flies 3-4 times a week - I need TSA Pre-check to automatically work for me!

Thanks!
That is correct. Your NEXUS gives you Global Entry privilege. Mark your calendar to renew your NEXUS at T-364.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Correct.

Take a look at this thread:
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Thanks!
Just to be completely clear, your GE card became invalid on the date your Nexus membership was approved. Your GE card may have an expiration date printed on it as May 2019 but it was cancelled when your Nexus membership was approved. Don't try to use your GE card anywhere it might be read electronically (such as at a boarder in a Nexus lane) because it will not work.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:13 pm

Applied for renewal - 12/18
Approved - 12/22

Much faster than expected and no interview required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.