Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Global Entry Renewal [2013-2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG

Greetings all, I decided to start a new topic versus the GE thread. If MODS feel it is better to be merged, so be it and thanks for reading

In May of 2008 CBP started taking applications for GE and the system came online in June of 08 (first at just JFK, DC and Houston and the rest is history). We are less than six months away from the five year mark where we early filers were told our membership was to expire.

Has anyone heard any rumours or seen anything posted about the renewal process? Do you think it be the same as a new application?

With stories of some locations having queues of up to 3 months for interviews I do not want a gap in service for my use of the program.

Just curious...and not patient
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
I'm on the same boat. Mine expires in July.

Some guidance here -- link

I'll start my renewal process in a week.

good luck !

--J
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by jcf27
I'm on the same boat. Mine expires in July.

Some guidance here -- link

good luck !

--J
THat's great, thanks for the link. I searched the GE page and found nothing, but it is on the CBP page...duh to me!

I'm going to start the renewal process now then, thanks.

I have no idea about the NEXUS stuff as I was never a member of that program, but a good question nonetheless.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Related question: I have had GE for a couple of years. May start traveling to Canada frequently, and if so, will add Nexus. If one goes through the Nexus process when already GE approved, does one get a new 5 year period for both? Or is the Nexus expiration set to the original GE expiration? Or are there two different dates?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Related question: I have had GE for a couple of years. May start traveling to Canada frequently, and if so, will add Nexus. If one goes through the Nexus process when already GE approved, does one get a new 5 year period for both? Or is the Nexus expiration set to the original GE expiration? Or are there two different dates?
I did this exact thing last year..I got in GE in 2011 and added Nexus in 2012.. my 5 year date was reset for both programs after I was approved for Nexus..and both have the same expiration date now.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Mine is up for renewal in about a year, it will be interesting to hear how the process plays out.

It would be really cool if no interview is required.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ewal/related/1
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:09 pm

THat's great, thanks for the link. I searched the GE page and found nothing, but it is on the CBP page...duh to me!

I have no idea about the NEXUS stuff as I was never a member of that program, but a good question nonetheless.
You are welcome !

I went into the site and could not find a button, link, etc... that says "renew" or any similar function, much less, detailed instructions. Ideas?

thanks

--J
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I did this exact thing last year..I got in GE in 2011 and added Nexus in 2012.. my 5 year date was reset for both programs after I was approved for Nexus..and both have the same expiration date now.
Excellent. Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

You are welcome !

I went into the site and could not find a button, link, etc... that says "renew" or any similar function, much less, detailed instructions. Ideas?

thanks

--J
Go into the manage funtion and renew is a button on top in goes
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I wonder how the cost works.

At one time, NEXUS was cheaper than GE, and GE was 'free' if you already had NEXUS.

If that is still the same, I wonder if it makes sense to renew NEXUS first, then renew GE?

(edited to add):

Now I'm even more confused.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr.../ge_kiosks.xml

This 2/16/2012 link says NEXUS is good at GE kiosks, as long as you've gone to a GE center and done the fingerprints. ?? I don't see how that is going to work. I'm not sure if that means that renewing NEXUS first still gets GE for no additional cost.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 10, 2013 at 4:21 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Count me in the same boat as up for renewal in a few months. Already have the renew now link at the top. When someone renews, can you please come back to this thread? Just curious if it will be 5 years from renewal date (in which case I will wait a few months) or 5 years from prior expiration (in which case I will do it now).
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:13 pm

Go into the manage funtion and renew is a button on top in goes
Many thanks FH ! Found it - "renew application"

--J
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by chollie
I have no information, but I'm glad you started this thread. It will be a 'first' not just for GE members, but also for CBP. Hopefully there won't be bugs to work out.

I'm also curious how it will work for NEXUS members. Unless things have changed, there's no 'renewal' interview with NEXUS. In fact, I had a friend who got NEXUS immediately after it started (it sort of replaced the old CANPASS that went away after 9-11). He let his NEXUS lapse for a couple years, then when GE started up, he wanted to get a new NEXUS, then GE (it was cheaper that way). The original NEXUS didn't even have a number on the card, so when he re-applied, he called an 800 number in Canada, gave the appropriate info, got his original NEXUS number and renewed online - no new interview, even though there had been a 2-year lapse.

As soon as his NEXUS was renewed, he applied for GE, but he didn't actually get an 'interview' at the time, he just had to go in during office hours and submit his fingerprints.

Hoping it will be as simple this time around (for both NEXUS and GE).
There actually is a renewal.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Not only will it reset, it expires on your birthday after 5 years. Basically, if you get it 1 day after your birthday, you will get 6 years.

I wonder how the cost works.

At one time, NEXUS was cheaper than GE, and GE was 'free' if you already had NEXUS.

If that is still the same, I wonder if it makes sense to renew NEXUS first, then renew GE?

(edited to add):

Now I'm even more confused.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr.../ge_kiosks.xml

This 2/16/2012 link says NEXUS is good at GE kiosks, as long as you've gone to a GE center and done the fingerprints. ?? I don't see how that is going to work. I'm not sure if that means that renewing NEXUS first still gets GE for no additional cost.
1) NEXUS still gets you "free" GE, and its still cheaper. This is because the Canadian government insisted on the price.

2) That old link is basically out of date now. Anyone who has gotten or renewed NEXUS in the last 3-4 years had the full fingerprint treatment done at the NEXUS enrollment center. I got my card in January 2010 and automatically converted. My girlfriend got her first NEXUS in 2007 and had to go in and do the prints. No issue when she renewed.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by N1120A
There actually is a renewal.
So how does it work? Renew NEXUS first (online, card gets mailed out), then renew GE?

1) NEXUS still gets you "free" GE, and its still cheaper. This is because the Canadian government insisted on the price.
Actually, this might not be such a great deal for someone who has airline status/credit card that pays for GE anyway. My friend will have to pay for NEXUS and he'll get GE free, but if he didn't have NEXUS, GE would still be 'free' (paid for by airline/credit card company).

2) That old link is basically out of date now. Anyone who has gotten or renewed NEXUS in the last 3-4 years had the full fingerprint treatment done at the NEXUS enrollment center. I got my card in January 2010 and automatically converted. My girlfriend got her first NEXUS in 2007 and had to go in and do the prints. No issue when she renewed.
Thanks. Wish these guys would keep the website updated.

So I'm not clear how it worked for your girlfriend. Does she also have GE?

IOW, if you have old NEXUS (2002, renewed online in 2007), newer GE (2008), then you still have to go do prints for the NEXUS on renewal? (Kind of strange, original NEXUS didn't do fingerprints, but did retinal scans).
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Actually, this might not be such a great deal for someone who has airline status/credit card that pays for GE anyway. My friend will have to pay for NEXUS and he'll get GE free, but if he didn't have NEXUS, GE would still be 'free' (paid for by airline/credit card company).
While I can't speak for all airlines, for United flyers who earn this benefit UA will pay for GE or Nexus... since Nexus gets you GE anyway and it's half the price of GE by itself it would be silly for airlines to exclude Nexus.

I got my GE membership prior to UA offering the reimbursement..but when I added Nexus last year I submitted the expense to UA and they credited my travel bank with the $50 fee (now they have a different set up where they'll just pay the fee directly for you..but that wasn't around when I got Nexus).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.