Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Question NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Originally I got NEXUS in 2007 then I got GE in 2009.

I tried to apply for a GE card, but I didn't have an option "Request Global Entry Card" button. Instead, I had "Replace Card".
Last week I was at LAX, so I stopped by the application center and asked the officer. He told me I could just click on the "Replace card" and proceed even I had never had the GE card before.

Anyway during the application process I was charged $25 not $15, then I noticed that I would get NEXUS card not GE card...

I know the $25 is not refundable but hope they can cancel my application or at least give me a GE card...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Originally I got NEXUS in 2007 then I got GE in 2009.

I tried to apply for a GE card, but I didn't have an option "Request Global Entry Card" button. Instead, I had "Replace Card".
Last week I was at LAX, so I stopped by the application center and asked the officer. He told me I could just click on the "Replace card" and proceed even I had never had the GE card before.

Anyway during the application process I was charged $25 not $15, then I noticed that I would get NEXUS card not GE card...

I know the $25 is not refundable but hope they can cancel my application or at least give me a GE card...
I got "Conditional Approval" notice for NEXUS "Card Replacement" as I expected
GOES website is confusing because it just shows my membership is "Trusted Traveler Program".
Do they really ask interview just for NEXUS card replacement anyway???
Besides I do have NEXUS card and I want a GE card...
I understand the $25 fee is non-refundable, but I guess I just cancel the application. I don't want to fly to Seattle just to get an unwanted NEXUS card...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:31 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got "Conditional Approval" notice for NEXUS "Card Replacement" as I expected
GOES website is confusing because it just shows my membership is "Trusted Traveler Program".
Do they really ask interview just for NEXUS card replacement anyway???
Besides I do have NEXUS card and I want a GE card...
I understand the $25 fee is non-refundable, but I guess I just cancel the application. I don't want to fly to Seattle just to get an unwanted NEXUS card...
Why did you want a GE card in the first place when you already have a perfectly valid NEXUS card?

(The cards both do the same thing, that's why you aren't allowed to have both).
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
Why did you want a GE card in the first place when you already have a perfectly valid NEXUS card?

(The cards both do the same thing, that's why you aren't allowed to have both).
I didn't know that when I applied...
So does that mean my GE membership is always attached to my NEXUS membership?
What if I don't need NEXUS membership anymore and I just want GE membership?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
So does that mean my GE membership is always attached to my NEXUS membership?
Why is this even a concern? You don't loose anything by having both, plus NEXUS is cheaper...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Janus
Why is this even a concern? You don't loose anything by having both, plus NEXUS is cheaper...
Well, I don't travel to Canada that often anymore, and all NEXUS enrollment offices are located at very inconvenient places for me for interview.
On the other hand GE enrollment offices are located at very convenient airports for me, and as long as I keep UA 1K status MP compensates 1K members for the $100 Global Entry application fee...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does that mean my GE membership is always attached to my NEXUS.
Sort of. You can let your NEXUS membership expire (i.e. not renew it) and then open an application for GE the day after your NEXUS membership exipres.

After your NEXUS membership expires, open an application for GE. Once you have your re-interview and are approved for GE, they'll send you a GE card in the mail.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I applied to NEXUS (includes Global Entry, is cheaper), had the interview and got the card. At the interview, they said I have to activate the card once I get it. But I don't see anywhere on the GOES website to activate. (The FAQ points me at a page that doesn't have "activ" anywhere on it.)
Old May 5, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by sethb
I applied to NEXUS (includes Global Entry, is cheaper), had the interview and got the card. At the interview, they said I have to activate the card once I get it. But I don't see anywhere on the GOES website to activate. (The FAQ points me at a page that doesn't have "activ" anywhere on it.)
It's on the bottom right corner of the logon page, called "Activate Membership Card".
Old May 7, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Thanks. I kept seeing "logon", so I did, and it sent me to another page.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Well, I don't travel to Canada that often anymore, and all NEXUS enrollment offices are located at very inconvenient places for me for interview.
On the other hand GE enrollment offices are located at very convenient airports for me, and as long as I keep UA 1K status MP compensates 1K members for the $100 Global Entry application fee...
Just to clarify, UA covers the fee for Platinum and higher. Until June, you pay the $100 and then receive a $100 credit to your travelbank which you can apply toward future travel. Starting in June, you will receive a code from UA which basically waives the fee.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18362329-post113.html
Old May 10, 2012, 7:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Just to clarify, UA covers the fee for Platinum and higher. Until June, you pay the $100 and then receive a $100 credit to your travelbank which you can apply toward future travel. Starting in June, you will receive a code from UA which basically waives the fee.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18362329-post113.html
Those with AMEX Platinum cards and 1K/PP status who want to join GE should apply this month so they get both the AMEX Platinum $100 statement credit and the UA TravelBank $100 credit. In June and beyond, it looks like you can no longer double-dip and make a profit on GE membership.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Those with AMEX Platinum cards and 1K/PP status who want to join GE should apply this month so they get both the AMEX Platinum $100 statement credit and the UA TravelBank $100 credit. In June and beyond, it looks like you can no longer double-dip and make a profit on GE membership.
And if you go for NEXUS you get GE as well for $50, increasing the profit.
Old May 12, 2012, 3:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
And if you go for NEXUS you get GE as well for $50, increasing the profit.
Nope; if you get NEXUS, you get nothing back from UA and $50 back from AMEX, so no profit.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Nope; if you get NEXUS, you get nothing back from UA and $50 back from AMEX, so no profit.
Dunno about UA, but that's not correct about Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.