Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment Centers Closed due to US Government Shutdown

Old Jan 19, 18, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

I have a GE interview at the DC location tomorrow (non-airport). Any idea whether they'll be furloughed?
Old Jan 20, 18, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by whistler814 View Post
I have a GE interview at the DC location tomorrow (non-airport). Any idea whether they'll be furloughed?
Interesting question and situation. Generally speaking CBP is exempt from the shutdown but that’s more about Immigration and Customs at border crossings and airports. CBP officers do the GE interviews so notionally they’d be available but a non-airport location might be part of a Federal building that is closed because of the closedown. Hmmm...........
Old Jan 20, 18, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Got an email this morning that all global entry enrollment centers are closed due to shut down.
Old Jan 20, 18, 8:51 am

Got an email this morning that all global entry enrollment centers are closed due to shut down.
Figures. My wife is the chief of staff for a Federal activity here and she got an email telling her she has to go in Monday, assuming no resolution this weekend, and tell everybody else to go home. She and the senior management are exempt/essential and will have to be at work throughout the shutdown. That means out of a few hundred there’ll be maybe half a dozen at work.
Old Jan 20, 18, 9:02 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

The Trusted Travelers forum is informational. Members come here in search of information and practical advice about applying for the various Trusted Travelers programs so that they can travel with minimum hassle and maximum benefits.

Please limit your responses here to facts, experiences, data points and practical suggestions.

If you wish to discuss or debate the politics behind the government shutdown, please do so in the OMNI/PR forum (access to OMNI is restricted to member who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and have posted 180 messages).

Thank your for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
JonNYC likes this.
Old Jan 20, 18, 10:26 am

That is unfortunate. Back in 2013, many people reported their interviews at enrollment centers still went on during the 2+ week shutdown period.

I wonder what the situation is for re-entry via the NEXUS/SENTRI lanes for those who got their final approval a day or hours before last night's deadline and are awaiting their membership card in the mail. Should the shutdown drag 30 days or beyond, will the 30-day membership card activation requirement time frame affect them?
Montoya080 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 18, 12:10 pm

I originally had an appointment scheduled for Long Beach on 2/2. Yesterday, I was randomly checking to see if there was an earlier availability and was excited when I saw an appointment open up at LAX for today so I grabbed it. I knew it was too good to be true because this morning, I got a call from CBP telling me they have to cancel because of the furlough and to reschedule. Now the earliest appointment at LGB is mid-Feb and early March at LAX

Also, I don’t know if the furlough had anything to do with it but my fiancé had his interview yesterday at LAX and was told he should be approved and to keep an eye out on his emails. He still hasn’t received anything. I thought most people got their approval emails within an hour. Or is it case by case basis?
Old Jan 20, 18, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by mzsmiley View Post
I originally had an appointment scheduled for Long Beach on 2/2. Yesterday, I was randomly checking to see if there was an earlier availability and was excited when I saw an appointment open up at LAX for today so I grabbed it. I knew it was too good to be true because this morning, I got a call from CBP telling me they have to cancel because of the furlough and to reschedule. Now the earliest appointment at LGB is mid-Feb and early March at LAX

Also, I don’t know if the furlough had anything to do with it but my fiancé had his interview yesterday at LAX and was told he should be approved and to keep an eye out on his emails. He still hasn’t received anything. I thought most people got their approval emails within an hour. Or is it case by case basis?
It’s case by case. Mine came through immediately while my wife’s took almost three weeks though we were both told we should approved at the end of the interview.
Old Jan 20, 18, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post

It’s case by case. Mine came through immediately while my wife’s took almost three weeks though we were both told we should approved at the end of the interview.
Good to know. Did you receive your Known Traveler Number on the spot or did it come in your email?
Old Jan 20, 18, 1:01 pm

Your KTN is your PASSID which is available on your TTP online account before you even get approved. It just wont get you precheck until approval.
mzsmiley and Randyk47 like this.

Last edited by iamflyer; Jan 20, 18 at 6:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 21, 18, 7:45 am

I have an interview for Global Entry in the Atlanta terminal on Tuesday. I have not seen any notices about cancelling and no emails... anyone know what is going on?

Also - I have been holding off on booking an international trip until I have a trusted traveler number.. is delta good about adding those in after the fact? I will need to book in the next few days and I am uncertain as to how to proceed.
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by SouthernDB View Post
I have an interview for Global Entry in the Atlanta terminal on Tuesday. I have not seen any notices about cancelling and no emails... anyone know what is going on?

Also - I have been holding off on booking an international trip until I have a trusted traveler number.. is delta good about adding those in after the fact? I will need to book in the next few days and I am uncertain as to how to proceed.
I have no crystal ball on the shutdown and when it will end but I doubt you’ll be interviewed Tuesday if the shutdown is not resolved. Global Entry is connected to your passport and not your airline so once you’re approved for GE that part is effective immediately. On the other hand the PreCheck side benefit is connected to your airline and indeed that information has to be on file in your airline profile. It can be added with existing reservations in place.
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by SouthernDB View Post
It's exactly as @Randyk47 wrote above.

For additional information, please take a look at the following thread:
PreCheck and Existing Reservations - do I need to do anything additional?
Old Jan 21, 18, 12:11 pm

My conversation with CBP personnel at LAX informed me that they are calling all applicants who were scheduled for interviews today and advising them that appointments are cancelled. However, as applicants are rescheduling, the appointments in the system are opening back up. I was asked to not reschedule for any open appointments until tomorrow.
Old Jan 21, 18, 1:15 pm

I had an interview scheduled for today @10:45pm (Jan 21) at San Francisco International. Got a phone call today at 11:35am telling me that they are closed until further notice. They also asked me to wait until the shutdown is resolved to reschedule a new appointment. I asked if they will be taking walk in interviews. They said they take walk-Ins from 7am-7pm (in sfo). Also, It will help if you tell them at walk in that your interview was cancelled due to the shutdown.
KRSW likes this.

Search this Thread