Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ed ONeill
If you are reading this thread, you have likely applied or are considering applying for global entry. When I went through the global entry interview recently, the custom's agent went out of his way to educate me on why Nexus was better than Global Entry. Nexus was designed to be a US/Canada land border crossing program. He indicated that Canada had begun to offer air entry benefits to nexus program holders, and that the US has decided to match that.

Effectively this means for $50 (half of global entry's cost) you get expedited customs clearance just like global entry, it also works for TSA pre-check and you get a nexus (land border crossing) card.

It was too late for me as I had already applied for global entry and the fee is non-refundable. But if you are reading this you may want to check out the updates to the nexus program and see if you can get more benefit for half the cost.
Perhaps. For a large number of people though, having to fly to a US/Canadian border location to do the interview will be a hard sell unless they already frequently travel to Canada; GE will likely still be less expensive when you take the travel costs into account.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tmiw
Perhaps. For a large number of people though, having to fly to a US/Canadian border location to do the interview will be a hard sell unless they already frequently travel to Canada; GE will likely still be less expensive when you take the travel costs into account.
+1. If I was still living in Seattle and still taking runs up to Vancouver or over to Victoria then probably no question. Living in San Antonio with no plans to visit Canada any time soon, if ever again, it wasn't a consideration or viable option.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:30 pm

Post interview waiting time?

I had my interview last week I'd thought that my goes approval would be active immediately, from what I had read on this forum. The interviewer took my fingerprints, showed me the number that would be my known traveler number and explained how to use it. But at the end he said something about an email being sent in the next few days if approved, and in my GOES account online I'm still listed as "conditionally approved". I have a trip on Monday, in 3 days, and I'm not sure if I'm good to go! Can anyone give me any insight?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Daveinlaca
... and in my GOES account online I'm still listed as "conditionally approved". I have a trip on Monday, in 3 days, and I'm not sure if I'm good to go! Can anyone give me any insight?
The Conditional Approval Notification is not the same as being approved. You need to see the Approval Notification in GOES which is separate from the Conditional Approval Notification.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Applied: 11/2
Conditionally approved: 11/7
Interview scheduled for later this week - much faster process than I expected! Hoping to get final approval in time for Thanksgiving Surprisingly the DC enrollment center had a ton of open slots, I had no issue getting in. Definitely recommend trying there if you happen to be passing through the DC area and can't get into IAD.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: MAR Plat
Applied: 10/18/15
Conditionally approved: 10/29/15
Interview: 11/4/15
Card Arrived 11/9/15

The first available interview was 1/20/16. Kept checking for cancellations and was able to get a much earlier interview.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Applied: 11/4/15
Still pending

I did disclose an arrest in 1991 for disorderly conduct (misdemeanor). Case was dismissed after a diversion program. Never came up in 4 bar admissions and 1 international adoption, but decided to disclose in the interest of transparency. Hope that doesn't cause a problem.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:23 pm

Nov. 2: applied
Nov 10: conditionally approved
Appointments available next day in Miami or Nov 16 @ ORD. Made appt for Miami Nov 16 2 hours prior to my return flight to O'Hare -- I assume that's enough time to be interviewed and get to my gate(?)

EDIT: Arrived at MIA and went to Global Entry office on 12 Nov, even though appt was 16th. They took me in within 15 mins as a walk-in and approved.

Last edited by netzoo; Nov 12, 2015 at 8:43 am Reason: Update
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:41 pm

Applied on November 1st.
Was conditionally approved on November 9th and did the interview the next day (was really lucky with a canceled appointment).

About twenty minutes after I finished my interview I was fully approved!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Daveinlaca
I had my interview last week I'd thought that my goes approval would be active immediately, from what I had read on this forum. The interviewer took my fingerprints, showed me the number that would be my known traveler number and explained how to use it. But at the end he said something about an email being sent in the next few days if approved, and in my GOES account online I'm still listed as "conditionally approved". I have a trip on Monday, in 3 days, and I'm not sure if I'm good to go! Can anyone give me any insight?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by pblawman
Applied: 11/4/15
Still pending

I did disclose an arrest in 1991 for disorderly conduct (misdemeanor). Case was dismissed after a diversion program. Never came up in 4 bar admissions and 1 international adoption, but decided to disclose in the interest of transparency. Hope that doesn't cause a problem.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by netzoo
Nov. 2: applied
Nov 10: conditionally approved
Appointments available next day in Miami or Nov 16 @ ORD. Made appt for Miami Nov 16 2 hours prior to my return flight to O'Hare -- I assume that's enough time to be interviewed and get to my gate(?)
netzoo

Welcome back to FlyerTalk! Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by hyperfire21
Can you elaborate on where you've seen or heard this? I don't see it on the i485 form.
Oct 29, 15, 3:28 pm #2761

hyperfire21

Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, UA GS.
Applied: 10/25
Conditionally approved: 11/3
Interviewed: 11/9

Interview lasted less than 10 minutes @ IAH. Came in, sat down. Asked at what time was my appointment, and an officer asked me to his desk. Asked for my ID and Passport and letter of conditional approval, had a conversation with me about how crazy Thanksgiving travel is going to be. Fingerprinted, photo taken. Approved. Next...!

-Did ask if someone was paying for my Global Entry Fee.. told him AMEX and he chuckled.
-No prior arrests or problems.
-Travel Internationally couple of times a month.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:22 pm

GearSuper

Programs: Skywards Plat, UA GS.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.