Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:42 pm

do they have a schedule on when they update their schedules for cancellations? or is it on the fly? i've been checking periodically for the past 5 days to reschedule husband, and it keeps getting pushed out further. the earliest at LAX is now 12/24.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
Just throwing it out there: all US Green Card holders should have the option of automatically receiving GE (for a fee) at the time they get their permanent resident status. That is all.
Can you elaborate on where you've seen or heard this? I don't see it on the i485 form.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by hyperfire21
Can you elaborate on where you've seen or heard this? I don't see it on the i485 form.
I think that's OP's opinion, not a coming - or likely - DHS policy change.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by nerdi
do they have a schedule on when they update their schedules for cancellations? or is it on the fly? i've been checking periodically for the past 5 days to reschedule husband, and it keeps getting pushed out further. the earliest at LAX is now 12/24.
I read somewhere that it updates on the hour, but in my personal experience, it was updating on the fly. Keep trying! I just kept hitting "Choose another location" (or whatever the button said) and then select the same location again.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Daggett76
I read somewhere that it updates on the hour, but in my personal experience, it was updating on the fly. Keep trying! I just kept hitting "Choose another location" (or whatever the button said) and then select the same location again.
Thank you! I had been logging out and logging back in. This is much easier.

When I rescheduled mine, I got a new appointment so fast! Now that I'm trying to reschedule for my husband, it's not working.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:01 am

doh!!! A 11/2 came up, but when I clicked it, it said the appointment was no longer available! Ahhhh so close.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:55 pm

08/29 Applied for dh and myself
09/09 Conditional approval
10/30 Interviewed and approved (approval notification added almost immediately to website)
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:58 pm

Yessssss, snagged a 11/2 appt for husband.

Question for myself - it says to bring your naturalization certificate and proof of residency if address is different from ID. I don't have my naturalization certificate - I don't know where I put it as I got naturalized in college and then moved abroad after college and have moved many times since. Do I need it? I used my passport as proof of citizenship.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:59 pm

Also, how long is the interview? I just found out husband has to give a phone interview at 11. Will he make it out if his global entry slot is 10:30? I can drive him so he would be able to do the interview in the car on the way back from the airport.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Also, how long is the interview? I just found out husband has to give a phone interview at 11. Will he make it out if his global entry slot is 10:30? I can drive him so he would be able to do the interview in the car on the way back from the airport.
Not sure about LAX but it definitely took way longer than 30 minutes at Otay Mesa when I did it. Though that was likely due to them being behind schedule that day.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Not sure about LAX but it definitely took way longer than 30 minutes at Otay Mesa when I did it. Though that was likely due to them being behind schedule that day.
Thank you for your response. How long did it take, and what time was your appointment? I'm just wondering if maybe they get more backed up in the afternoon than in the morning. <fingers crossed>

He has also asked to push back the interview by half an hour. Hopefully the candidate will be okay with this (I don't see why not though - they are interviewing for a job and should hopefully be flexible!).
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Thank you for your response. How long did it take, and what time was your appointment? I'm just wondering if maybe they get more backed up in the afternoon than in the morning. <fingers crossed>

He has also asked to push back the interview by half an hour. Hopefully the candidate will be okay with this.
I did the appointment in the morning before work. The actual interview was maybe 5 minutes but I think I spent 30-45 minutes waiting in total, first in line to check in with the receptionist and then sitting in the waiting area. (Otay Mesa doubles as a SENTRI interview location so it's also possible that had something to do with it too.)
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yessssss, snagged a 11/2 appt for husband.

Question for myself - it says to bring your naturalization certificate and proof of residency if address is different from ID. I don't have my naturalization certificate - I don't know where I put it as I got naturalized in college and then moved abroad after college and have moved many times since. Do I need it? I used my passport as proof of citizenship.
My wife is a naturalized citizen. She took her cert with her, but was not asked for it. The CBP officer only wanted to see her US passport and state-issued DL/ID.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Processing time

10/18 Initial Application
10/29 Conditional Approva
10/30 Interview (Niagara Nexus center)
Fully approved same day

This is probably posted elsewhere, but since this is a long thread I thought I would share that once you have your "fully approved" letter you can use your global entry number immediately to qualify for TSA pre-check.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
Global Entry vs Nexus

If you are reading this thread, you have likely applied or are considering applying for global entry. When I went through the global entry interview recently, the custom's agent went out of his way to educate me on why Nexus was better than Global Entry. Nexus was designed to be a US/Canada land border crossing program. He indicated that Canada had begun to offer air entry benefits to nexus program holders, and that the US has decided to match that.

Effectively this means for $50 (half of global entry's cost) you get expedited customs clearance just like global entry, it also works for TSA pre-check and you get a nexus (land border crossing) card.

It was too late for me as I had already applied for global entry and the fee is non-refundable. But if you are reading this you may want to check out the updates to the nexus program and see if you can get more benefit for half the cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.