Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Archived: Processing Timelines for 1st Time GE Applications by US Citizens and LPR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:29 pm

woohoo finally got approved.

LAX interview on 12/23, just got approved today on 12/30. took a week but finally got it.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:29 am

Global Entry

I applied 12/21
Conditional approval 12/23
Interviewed 12/30
Approval 12/30

I was just asked verification information and if I had ever been arrested. I have been arrested but it was for a ticket I received for failure to change my DL address. Ticket became a warrant and you know the rest.

For the interviews I would keep checking as spots may open. Originally I had an interview for 1/19/16 but I kept checking and saw a spot for 12/30. ORD location.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:03 pm

Saturday interviews?

I live several hours from DC, and would have to go there to do my interview (it's the closest interview site to me). Does anyone know if interviews are ever conducted there on weekends? I don't want to take a day off work for my interview, but I suppose I may have to do that if there are no weekend slots.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by axraza
Another UK traveller...
UK border code applied: 3 dec '15, approved: 3 Dec '15
GE entry online applied: 3 Dec '15, conditional approval: 17 Dec '15
Interview: 28 Dec '15 at JFK T4, approved same day.

Interview took around 20 mins, asked about job, reason for freq travel to US, purpose of trip to Turkey (!). Staff was courteous and helpful. UK citizens don't get issued GE cards apparently.

Used GE for first time at YYZ - sweet. GE travellers use NEXUS lines at security, which is handy. No stamps in passport anymore, so saving pages. Also pre check seems to work more often at US airports.

Satisfied customer so far.
How does the NEXUS security work - do you just enter your KTN at booking (or checkin), and then you get some special indication on your BP (a la Pre-check)?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta, hhonors
Originally Posted by televisor
How does the NEXUS security work - do you just enter your KTN at booking (or checkin), and then you get some special indication on your BP (a la Pre-check)?
Pretty much. I guess NEXUS is basically Canada's combo of GE and TSA pre check. After CBP officer took my GE receipt he stamped my boarding pass with some "Toronto pre clearance security" thing and directed me to security person who was splitting ppl into regular security line - which was long, and a separate line with a NEXUS sign - which had one other guy. My west jet BP did say "TSA pre check" on it btw, so not 100% sure if it was the stamp or the Pre check on BP that got me the NEXUS security line.

I do YYZ - LGA a lot and with US pre clearance + security at Toronto whole thing takes a good hour on average: rental car return to gate. This time with GE it took 10 mins.

Last edited by axraza; Jan 1, 2016 at 7:12 am
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
Applied 12/20. Conditional approval 12/22. The interview was difficult to schedule at first, but then I found a cancellation. Interview 12/31 1:10pm. Approved 12/31 1:21pm.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Writeabm
I live several hours from DC, and would have to go there to do my interview (it's the closest interview site to me). Does anyone know if interviews are ever conducted there on weekends? I don't want to take a day off work for my interview, but I suppose I may have to do that if there are no weekend slots.
DC is 7 days a week and does walk in appts.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just got mine approved online 9 days after the interview (bizarrely at 01:12 est).
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Applied for Global Entry: 12/7/15
Conditionally approved: 12/14/15
Interview: 1/7/16
Approved: 1/7/16 - 2 hours after interview
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:37 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Applied for Global Entry: 5 Jan 2016
Conditionally Approved: 10 Jan 2016

Anyone know if EWR takes walk in interviews? I'm going down to the NYC area this week and was wondering if I could just do that at the time I'm there.

EDIT: Or any other location around NYC like JFK or the customs house?

Last edited by Server; Jan 10, 2016 at 2:43 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Server
Applied for Global Entry: 5 Jan 2016
Conditionally Approved: 10 Jan 2016

Anyone know if EWR takes walk in interviews? I'm going down to the NYC area this week and was wondering if I could just do that at the time I'm there.

EDIT: Or any other location around NYC like JFK or the customs house?
JFK doesn't take walk-ins. They do usually have available appointments within ~4 days (probably from cancellations). Just check the website regularly.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but thought i would after related question here ...

Is it really true that it takes 48 hours after approval for the Global Entry KTN number to be available for use with TSA PreCheck? Or does PreCheck recognize the number immediately?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: O6 GOLD, SPG GOLD
Can a person on H1B visa apply for GE? (resident alien not GC)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but thought i would after related question here ...

Is it really true that it takes 48 hours after approval for the Global Entry KTN number to be available for use with TSA PreCheck? Or does PreCheck recognize the number immediately?
There are a number of synchronizations that need to take place for PreCheck to show up on a BP so while it may not take 48 hours in every case I wouldn't count on it less than then. (E.g. If there's a KTN in the PNR and the PNR was created more than 72 hours before flight departure, airlines submit the KTN to TSA for the TSA PRE Go/NoGo at 72 hours prior to departure.

If the PNR is created within 72 hours of flight departure and has a KTN, it is immediately submitted to TSA for the TSA PRE Go/NoGo (and I've been pleasantly surprised getting the ^ for completely new reservations booked as late as 90 minutes prior to departure [I love flying by the seat of my pants...])

The process is unclear if the PNR is "old" but a KTN is added, and I suspect it may vary by airline.

One step behind that step is the process by which CBP "exposes" GE members to TSA and it's entirely unclear if there's a realtime connection or if there's a periodic "sweep" where TSA "picks up" all of the new/changed GE numbers... If the sweep is involved, of course, that's another source of delay...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by romania2007
Can a person on H1B visa apply for GE? (resident alien not GC)
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions

Can I join Global Entry if I am not a U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident?

Global Entry is also available to citizens of the Netherlands who are enrolled in FLUX and Korean Smart Entry Service members. Citizens of Germany, Panama, and Mexico may also apply for Global Entry. Canadian NEXUS members have Global Entry benefits, but are not eligible to join.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.