Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck - Decline in

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by silkworm87
Why didn't they announce this in advance so that travelers could make a smooth transition?
https://pro.delta.com/content/deltap...nt-change.html

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...k-eligibility/

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-N...le-of-airlines

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/04/want...ntry-or-clear/

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/tsa-lim...861974952.html

Additionally, many received emails regarding this.

I personally went the GE route and highly recommend it, but also wanted to add Nexus, in case you are near the Canadian border. This will get you easy entry in/out of Canada, is much cheaper than GE, and also gets you GE and PreCheck. But you can only enroll at the Canadian border.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Well except LAS, it seems like everyone & their mother gets pre check there. Though I am glad they are kicking frequent flyer program members out. You want pre check buy pre check. I had to (via global entry) best $100 I ever spent, extremely fast reentry into the USA, and I am 100% on pre check ever since having global entry. (I was 0% on DL frequent flyer program)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There was lots of notice about this.

Unless the OP is asserting this is something unique to Delta it doesn't belong in this forum but instead in the Travel safety/security forums:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-security-222/
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its just another way for TSA to get money and justify their existence. Don't know about GlobalEntry, but the Pre application process is a joke. Fill out the form/questions online, then set up the 'interview' which consists of verifying the questions you already answered and getting fingerprinted. No other actual behavioral questions or real interview.

Does GE do the same thing or do they actually ask something of substance?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:08 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
Well there's the part where it's ridiculous in the first place to have to pay to avoid the TSA shoe carnival security farce.

If you are already receiving PreCheck and therefore have been previously determined by the TSA to not be a security threat, there doesn't seem to be a reason to have to pay to continue to receive the low-threat treatment. Remember, the program is about the government determining whether you are low-threat, and the fee theoretically covers the cost of that determination. This isn't supposed to be a money-grab.
So with that reasoning you also believe that anyone else who received Pre Check in the past must not be a "security threat" and should also be allowed to continue with PreCheck (parents with kids for example, right?!?). Personally I don't think the TSA determined frequent flyers were not a security threat. They just felt it would be a good way to start the program. Same with the "kettles" that were given it without a background check.

Originally Posted by lovecabo
Wife and I went ATL-SEA last week. Both of us have had Precheck for years due to status. On the outbound she got it, I didn't. Coming back we both got it. Not getting it was enough to convince me to pay to play, so I'll be doing that next week. Still can't figure out why they can pull all those people out of the regular line and run them through Precheck, however, without any sort of background check and not give it to me.
Well, you didn't get a background check either, did you? I agree with the above poster who wonders about those who feel it is their God-given right to have PreCheck.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
its mostly a background check I believe. I'm happy with GE, and have gotten TSA pre without fail. I now get through immigration on arrival so fast I usually end up waiting 10-15 minutes on my bag in SEA.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
its mostly a background check I believe. I'm happy with GE, and have gotten TSA pre without fail. I now get through immigration on arrival so fast I usually end up waiting 10-15 minutes on my bag in SEA.
This.

Generally, I carry-on, so when I land, it typically takes me 15 minutes to get from the plane to landside. Worth.Every.Penny.

As has been pointed out, Amex reimburses GE fees for Platinum and Centurion card members, but some Visa products do also (the Ritz Carlton visa, I think and at least one other).

O/H
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:54 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
Its just another way for TSA to get money and justify their existence. Don't know about GlobalEntry, but the Pre application process is a joke. Fill out the form/questions online, then set up the 'interview' which consists of verifying the questions you already answered and getting fingerprinted. No other actual behavioral questions or real interview.

GE is basically that. When Mrs. P and I applied in 2011 it took her 4 weeks for approval and me 9 weeks with applications sent in within 60 seconds of each other. Maybe I had more to hide/find. Now it takes less than a week for approval but it takes a few weeks to get an appointment. Qustions were simple but one needs to appear for a photo and fingerprinting - plus iris scan if in Canada.

Most crimes and even some arrests will ban you. A DUI will ban you for years, maybe ever in Canada. Any problems with a border crossing (getting fined for forgetting to declare something) will be a showstopper.

We went for NEXUS, which cost abot $2,000. It was $50 each for the program and Amex reimbursed us $100 each.) but a room for 2 nights food at the 4 Seasons YVR, airfare, several hours of spa time, food plus entertainment pushed tha additional costs over the $50.

NEXUS allows one to enter Canada without talking to another human.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
This.

Generally, I carry-on, so when I land, it typically takes me 15 minutes to get from the plane to landside. Worth.Every.Penny.

As has been pointed out, Amex reimburses GE fees for Platinum and Centurion card members, but some Visa products do also (the Ritz Carlton visa, I think and at least one other).

O/H
Too much crap with me to stuff in an overhead bin, but at least that saves me the bin wars on my connecting flights in Europe (and sometimes US if I can't get my international direct into SEA).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
More discussion in this existing thread about PreCheck changes.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-changes.html
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rylan

Its similar but stricter approval guidelines. However both programs do a background check which your missing in your description of the process. Something non members do not get. They do verify the information you put on the application.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: DM MM
Originally Posted by puddinhead
NEXUS allows one to enter Canada without talking to another human.
Would like to know where you experienced this. If you arrive by Air, you still have to talk with the immigration agent, NEXUS gets you the short line and also a very short discussion with quick to the point questions and a special card for customs inspection that usually gets you a wave by. By Land, you get to use the NEXUS lane (which is normally very short), scan your card, but still have to stop at the booth and answer 1-2 quick questions. Even if you arrive in your Boat and dock, you still have to call in and register.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:14 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by silkworm87
Apologies to all if this is not the right place to post this. I'm not a heavy user of this forum.
No apologies are necessary, silkworm87.

Because this discussion has virtually nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program, the new home for this discussion is now the Trusted Travelers forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: DL
I got pre check today for the first time as a kettle, after never getting it as silver, gold, or platinum. I also applied for GE today (1AM) and got a conditional approval (9AM) in 8 hours, but haven't interviewed yet.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:35 am
k2

Originally Posted by RoadGame
Would like to know where you experienced this. If you arrive by Air, you still have to talk with the immigration agent, NEXUS gets you the short line and also a very short discussion with quick to the point questions and a special card for customs inspection that usually gets you a wave by. By Land, you get to use the NEXUS lane (which is normally very short), scan your card, but still have to stop at the booth and answer 1-2 quick questions. Even if you arrive in your Boat and dock, you still have to call in and register.
That's correct. It was only during the very early days of NEXUS that you could cross without speaking to a border patrol agent (for land crossings, I rarely use NEXUS for air travel). Now they always ask questions and the waits are getting longer, at least at the crossings I use. It's still worth it to scoot by backups in the normal lanes.

GE appears to be going the same direction by the way. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere but at DTW you do the GE kiosk thing, then wait in line to speak with an agent sitting at a podium, then you're fed into the customs lane with everyone else. Still fast, but they're definitely tightening up as more and more people enroll in these programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.