Search

TSA Precheck - Decline in

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pinniped
No, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

As much as I'm cynical about many things DHS, I still don't see the angle here about "servicing the privileged". The nominal paid fee for GE is the least of the three things you "pay" to join the program: the far more important two being submission to a detailed background check and the time/effort to schedule and submit to an interview. (Granted, they were prompt with mine.) The $100 likely serves the purpose of filtering out people who would rarely use it, but does not have any impact on people who would use it often, driving their "per use" rate down to pennies.
DHS requires a passport to approve GE membership, and the cost to get a passport and then GE is high enough that it would act as a restraint on the growth of PreCheck participation. That DHS desire to grow participation in PreCheck use led to things such as the TSA Pre paid membership program, "managed inclusion", and CAC numbers' inclusion as KTN.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DHS requires a passport to approve GE membership, and the cost to get a passport and then GE is high enough that it would act as a restraint on the growth of PreCheck participation. That DHS desire to grow participation in PreCheck use led to things such as the TSA Pre paid membership program, "managed inclusion", and CAC numbers' inclusion as KTN.
So anyone traveling internationally is privileged, because they spent money on a passport?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:28 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
They are "privileged" because they took the time to fill out the application, submit $100 (non-refundable) and go to the interview after getting vetted.

The Pre-Check program is $85 but doesn't require a passport. And the process asks for less information than GE.

Not sure what you mean by privileged...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 4:33 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
Neither the truly wealthy nor the truly underprivileged are standing in many TSA or immigration queues with a bunch of commercial airline travelers. @:-)
The truly wealthy have customs and immigrations go to their private jet and meet them inside. No lines and no walking. Once the meet and greet is done they get into a waiting car (limo) while the pilots load their luggage into the trunk.

No need for TSA security lines. Pre-Check or GE. That's how the privileged do it.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
The truly privileged don't pay for a lot of things the rest of us do.

I don't think the super-rich were the privileged class being referred to.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
Well there's the part where it's ridiculous in the first place to have to pay to avoid the TSA shoe carnival security farce.
I don't think of it as a tax.

I think of the PreCheck program as being very deliberately designed to avoid reform. By enrolling the people who were most likely to complain about TSA practices ("these naked scanners are ridiculous", "this is slow and useless"), and giving those people a relaxed security-screening process, the TSA gets to entrench its own bureaucracy.

The fact that there's a barrier to entry in Global Entry or PreCheck is not really about screening for security (do you know anyone whose application has been denied?), but about selecting for the kind of person who is actually willing to get up and do something. That's a very dangerous kind of person — they might vote or call their Congressperson. To the extent possible, you should placate that kind of person.

Folks who travel frequently and who know how to optimize their trip get PreCheck. Those are *exactly* the kinds of folks who, if the TSA process they saw were crummy or inefficient, would be most likely to demand change. At no expense to aviation security, the PreCheck program does a great job of ensuring there are no complaints from the folks with a little more influence/privilege.

PreCheck awesome and I'm very happy with it! Kind of a bummer for the infrequently-traveling in-laws, though.

Similarly, I stopped thinking about the free-speech rights of American high school students as soon as I graduated from high school.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM
Well too late for the TSA, I have my GE interview next week but I have already contacted my senators and congresswoman
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Similarly, I stopped thinking about the free-speech rights of American high school students as soon as I graduated from high school.
High 5
^
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:35 pm

Based on my experience, I got Pre 5/5 times in my last (and only) TSA checks. This was on Alaska, Southwest, United and Lufthansa in OAK, SEA, LAX, SFO (2x). This was probably because I'm 14yrs old travelling alone? Maybe because I'm from an Arabic country so they'd have to check me before I get there? No idea. It just happened that I always got Pre.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:09 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rimoabdallah
Based on my experience, I got Pre 5/5 times in my last (and only) TSA checks. This was on Alaska, Southwest, United and Lufthansa in OAK, SEA, LAX, SFO (2x). This was probably because I'm 14yrs old travelling alone? Maybe because I'm from an Arabic country so they'd have to check me before I get there? No idea. It just happened that I always got Pre.
You can't get PreCheck on Lufthansa; they don't participate.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
You can't get PreCheck on Lufthansa; they don't participate.
Perhaps inclusion at the checkpoint rather than inclusion by way of boarding pass? Minors not showing ID but traveling by themselves may get sent through PreCheck even when flying non-participating carriers, perhaps more so if accompanied with an airline crew member.

Do UA-issued boarding passes for UA-coded-LH-operated flights have some PreCheck LLL designators?

IIRC LH has a KTN field that has been getting populated.

I didn't follow through yet:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...lufthansa.html
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:55 am

I can't answer for *A flights, but I've had pre when flying BA marketed tickets. Although often when flying BA, I've got an AA connection first.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Arsey00
I can't answer for *A flights, but I've had pre when flying BA marketed tickets. Although often when flying BA, I've got an AA connection first.
That I've seen. But it sounds like those were AA-issued boarding passes. Is that right?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:06 am

My most recent, definitely yes. I'm trying to think back to whether I've ever had it checking in at BA desks at a participating airport and am drawing a blank.

Side question, if a US carrier has issued BPs for connecting flights with Pre printed on them, but the connecting airline reissues their own BPs at airports where one clears security again (JFK AA T8->BA T7, for example), is it possible/advisable to use the Pre BPs to clear the second security, but use the second airline's BP to board?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Arsey00
Side question, if a US carrier has issued BPs for connecting flights with Pre printed on them, but the connecting airline reissues their own BPs at airports where one clears security again (JFK AA T8->BA T7, for example), is it possible/advisable to use the Pre BPs to clear the second security, but use the second airline's BP to board?
It's possible and worked fine for me as long as the boarding pass was for a flight that was accessible from the terminal area just beyond the screening checkpoint where I was using the boarding pass for one flight but boarded with the boarding pass for another flight. I have had this happen when swapping UA and LH at ORD after going airside again and again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.