Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck - Decline in

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Today was my first time not getting it, after enrolling last year. I shouldn't have been surprised though as this entire trip was one big screw up involving airports and airlines. That being said, once I finally got to the front of the security line, I got directed to the Pre lane anyways, thank goodness.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
And abroad?

So, if I go to the trouble of doing Trusted Traveler, what happens at Narita, Tokyo? There is an expedited line at Narita, but I think it has to do only with class. Doesn't it?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kavade
So, if I go to the trouble of doing Trusted Traveler, what happens at Narita, Tokyo? There is an expedited line at Narita, but I think it has to do only with class. Doesn't it?
Abroad it is of little to no use. It is a US domestic travel program.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Redheadpeter
I only got here because FlyerTalk said it was a 'hot topic'. But it's all actually quite meaningless to me, I have no idea what you are all talking about. But one thing jumps out.
100/200/300/400 people turn up at an airport - they all want to get on the same plane. Lots of other people are arriving to get on different planes. There are x staff to process these people through security. Some kind of maths says that equates to a wait of some minutes. Some folks aren't happy about this, they think because they are frequent flyers, wealthy, important, whatever they should wait less than that number of minutes, ideally no minutes at all. So they pay money to achieve that. The amount of money isn't important.

But this is a zero sum game. The people who organise that security don't take the money and hire more staff, get more machines or do anything else to ensure that people reducing their wait-time doesn't have the effect of increasing wait-time for those who don't or can't pay.

By what logic of human relationship is it fair or equitable that because you have money I have to wait longer?
Your argument is flawed in many ways.

Number 1 - I don't get to bypass the longer security lines because I'm "wealthy." I get to bypass the longer security lines because I have undergone an extensive background check to demonstrate that I am a very minimal security risk.

Number 2 - The money I spent (equal to $20 per year, hardly the kind of money that only the "wealthy" can spare) goes to pay for the costs associated with conducting the above-mentioned background check. It has nothing to do with making your wait longer or extra personnel to man the pre-check lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.