Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck - Decline in

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Post number 1 on this thread asks a simple question. Posts number two and three give accurate response. Six or seven pages later......
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman
Post number 1 on this thread asks a simple question. Posts number two and three give accurate response. Six or seven pages later......
It's the TSA.

Let us yap about it. It's what we do.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
TSA's stated goal is to migrate 85% of eligible passengers into pre-check with just under 15% receiving what is now standard treatment and a very small % receiving the enhanced secondary treatment.
How does that statement equate w/TSA kicking out the FF's who have been getting PC due to their airline's participation in the program? Leaving aside the argument that only those who have paid TSA's $85 extortion fee should get PC, excluding the FF's is going to leave them short of the 85% number referenced above since the FF's make up a small %, overall, of fliers in this country & the rest, Kettle's, aren't going to pony up for that in order to go Disney World every couple of years.

My personal experience, since AA sent out their e-mail about this in April is 1 for 6 in getting PC, so how does that help the 85% migration? I do agree about using the iPad ramdomizer to shunt people thru PC is a bad thing, never mind using it for families, elderly, & the disabled, however, throwing out the FF's seems to be another (in a long line) of head scratching decisions from the Trained Shoe Analysts

Originally Posted by rylan
Its just another way for TSA to get money and justify their existence. Don't know about GlobalEntry, but the Pre application process is a joke. Fill out the form/questions online, then set up the 'interview' which consists of verifying the questions you already answered and getting fingerprinted. No other actual behavioral questions or real interview.
I especially liked how they pre-filled the answers to the customer experience survey questions at the end, all w/positive responses, of course.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I've got a new question--I've had pretty good luck with Pre since the announcement and figured it was just luck as I've never been interviewed. But logged into my account, TSA Pre is actually noted. I found this odd...
Old May 10, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Arsey00
I've got a new question--I've had pretty good luck with Pre since the announcement and figured it was just luck as I've never been interviewed. But logged into my account, TSA Pre is actually noted. I found this odd...
Probably a result of your FF status and opting in when given the chance. Supposedly this freebie will be reduced, maybe to the point of going away. I can't remember what my profile page looked like before I enrolled in GE and got my associated KTN.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:16 am

Come on, people, let's see the number of complaints to TSA skyrocket. Also, make sure to cc your congressman, each of your senators and the White House. Opt out of the naked body scanners, flood the bureaucracy with complaints. They aren't getting my fingerprints, and I'm not sending them $85 protection money.

Complain to TSA here: http://www.tsa.gov/content/talk-tsa
Complain to the White House here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/su...s-and-comments
Find your congressman's contact info here: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
Find your senators' contact info here: http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm
Old May 15, 2015, 11:37 am

Paid them their $85 extortion fee & my PC rate is 50%

Will file a complaint for all the good it is likely to do.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by txrus

Wow.

I know there are no guarantees, but I would have expected a somewhat better success rate than 50%.

Either that or don't take your $85 in the first place.

Have you tried contacting Ross? He's on twitter, is on FT occasionally. PM or tweet him, IIRC, he's worked to help people work it out before.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Wow, I've had better luck than that since the change without any programs. About 80%.
Old May 17, 2015, 1:02 pm

Just checked in for tomorrow's trip & no surprise, no PC. Again. But, TSA got their $$ & that's all that counts.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I think the reduction (almost elimination) of FF elites from getting 'free' pre-check consideration has been effective to encourage sign-up for a paid KTN process, but I don't know if it will be enough to meet the goals of TSA in this program. There will be some tipping point, but it is not going to be 85%. I suspect they will have to come up with something new to boost KTN enrollment (lower price/simpler interview process for GE/consideration of age minimums for GE requirements, etc./a conversion path from FF elite to a KTN).

I have found the new scanning machines (non-GE) for US citizens international arrivals to be very fast. Maybe not as fast as GE, but pretty good and a vast improvement over the previous process (particularly the subjective review aspects, which are now more streamlined). These machines know what flights you have traveled on, so it is a clear extension of the secure flight process that is already done before you even arrive.

Making these normal processes better (like international arrivals) is the right approach, and I hope TSA finds something similar it can do for most domestic security. We talk about the lack of 'background review' that the existing secure flight process entails, but it doesn't have to be that way, and I think it is feasible for there to be less random and more systematic reviews that could significantly increase the Pre-Check on the boarding pass rate without having significant application/fee manual effort by the passenger to be required.

Rasheed
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
"Free" Pre-Check not eliminated

My wife has been enrolled through DL since available and has rarely missed. This week she was 3 for 3 on getting Pre-check.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:19 am

50% PC rate this week & that's after having paid the extortion fee back in April.

And, when I did get it on Sunday, the PC lane was closed in PHX, so ended up w/PC lite.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:28 pm

I am sure a lot of questions everyone has can be answered by going to the TSA PreCheck blog http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/06/tsa-trav...r-profile.html
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:49 pm

Just checked in for tomorrow's trip & no surprise, no PC. Again. But, TSA got their $$ & that's all that counts.
This is copied and pasted from TSA PC Blog. Perhaps this will help. I think $85 for 5 years is totally worth it!
Updated 02/03/2015 - This post has been updated to bring you the latest information and tips on TSA Pre✓®.
Review these tips if you just received your KTN or have not received TSA Pre✓®.
If you have a Known Traveler Number (KTN), you might want to pay attention to this blog post. Why? Your next TSA Pre✓® opportunity may be impacted by how you use this information.
If you are enrolled in a trusted traveler program (TSA Pre✓® application program, Global Entry, NEXUS and/or SENTRI), or have been issued a KTN (e.g., members of the military), you will receive TSA Pre✓® on a consistent basis.

However, we have learned that TSA Pre✓® travelers who receive their KTN only add it directly to their frequent flyer profile. You may think you are all set, but more may be required to be eligible for TSA Pre✓® on your next flight.

Your frequent flyer profile — for one of the 11 TSA Pre✓® participating airlines — makes the booking process easier, quicker and more efficient when booking on that particular airline website ONLY for future flights; your name, KTN and other personal/billing information is automatically populated when you use that site, and are logged in, for future reservations.

But we want to make a few very important points about this process:

Entering your KTN to your frequent flyer profile will NOT automatically update previously booked reservations.
If you make reservations via a third-party website (not on the airlines’ website directly) and/or travel agency, your KTN may not always be shared with the airline. Also, some systems don’t allow you to enter a KTN and only have a “Redress” field. Do not enter your KTN in the redress field.
Even though you save your KTN in your frequent flyer profile, it will not associate your KTN with reservations automatically unless the KTN is supplied during the booking process. Remember to always enter your KTN when booking your reservation, even when using your frequent flyer profile.
Lastly, if you make a change to a reservation, the airlines’ reservation system may, at times, remove your KTN.

Some of the TSA Pre✓® participating airlines allow you to pull up your individual reservation, and verify your KTN is included. We recommend you check, just to be sure, and it only takes a few minutes of your time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.