Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre✓ Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
TSA Pre✓ Changes

I received an email from AA today regarding changes to Pre✓ that are being implemented by TSA. These changes are taking place for all airlines.

It's important to remember that TSA determines who get Pre✓, not the individual airline. In the beginning, the airlines sent TSA information based on FF Status. Then the systems expanded to include the Known Traveler Number (KTN). Now, TSA is selling Pre✓ to anyone who qualifies and is willing to pay for the privilege of possibly being selected.

So, TSA is saying that if you don't have a KTN, your Pre✓ selection rate is going to decline!

Here's the AA email.

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
• Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
• Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
• Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
For DL, Log in to delta.com and select My Profile from the Home screen. Click "Saved" on the right side of the line TSA Preê/KNOWN TRAVELER/REDRESS to add your KTN.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
This all comes from an announcement made by the TSA last week that it will be cutting back on PreCheck for travelers who are not somehow enrolled in a trusted traveler program. AA seems to have been the first airline to inform its loyalty program members about it.

As a reference point, this article may fill in some holes:

TSA to Cut Back on PreCheck Access for Non-Enrolled Flyers
The Transportation Security Administration, the government agency that manages the nation’s security checkpoints at airports, announced it is changing how it determines how some passengers receive expedited screening via the PreCheck trusted traveler program.

Frequent travelers who have been receiving PreCheck access by virtue of their elite status at an airline will most likely see a decline in the number of times they get PreCheck....

<SNIP>
The above appeared in FBT, where I serve as ed.dir.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Delta sent the same email last week

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to Implement Changes to TSA Pre✓® Program

(April 1, 2015) - The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will soon make changes to the TSA Pre✓® program which may affect frequent flyer eligibility. SkyMiles members who previously “opted-in” to receive TSA Pre✓, but do not have a Trusted Traveler number, may notice a significant reduction in the number of times they are chosen for expedited screening. This is due to an increase in the number of passengers who are eligible, as well as an increase in the number of passengers who pay to participate in Trusted Traveler Programs.

SkyMiles Members

SkyMiles members who are currently enrolled in a trusted traveler program (TSA Pre✓, Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI) and/or have been issued a Known Traveler Number (KTN)/PASSID which is included in their reservations will continue to receive TSA Pre✓on a consistent and predictable basis and no further action is required.

Delta encourages all customers, including SkyMiles members, who are not currently enrolled in a Trusted Traveler Program to consider enrolling. This includes SkyMiles Members who had received an invitation from Delta to participate as a frequent flyer in TSA Pre✓, but do not have a Known Traveler Number (KTN)/PASSID. Customers who already have a KTN/PASSID should be sure to log in at delta.com and add it to “My Profile.”

Trusted Traveler Programs

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has four Trusted Traveler programs which are customized based on travel needs. For guidance on which program may be best for an individual, please click here for a comparison chart. For details and application forms for each program, click on the links below:
1. TSA Pre✓application program - valuable for travelers who primarily fly within the U.S.
2. Global Entry - for travelers who fly both within the U.S. and internationally
3. NEXUS - for travel primarily between the U.S. and Canada
4. SENTRI - for those who travel primarily by land into the U.S. from Mexico
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Delta sent the same email last week

(April 1, 2015) - The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will soon make changes...
I tend to take information arriving on 1. April with a grain of salt - must have missed it!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
This isn't a DL-specific topic anyway, so I don't feel I'm going off topic when I say I continue to be amazed by how people can be conditioned. Put the squeeze on people. Then give them taste of something better - never mind the fact that it's exactly what they had before - and see how quickly they eagerly line up for it. The TSA's move is not all that dissimilar from how airlines are running their loyalty programs as of late.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I didn't get a similar email from Delta. Perhaps because I have Global Entry and that number is on my profile?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
This isn't a DL-specific topic anyway, so I don't feel I'm going off topic when I say I continue to be amazed by how people can be conditioned. Put the squeeze on people. Then give them taste of something better - never mind the fact that it's exactly what they had before - and see how quickly they eagerly line up for it. The TSA's move is not all that dissimilar from how airlines are running their loyalty programs as of late.
Why does it amaze you?

What you're describing is exactly how organizations conduct themselves. If you're an adult and this still amazes you, then I don't even know...

What's the most efficient way to allocate resources for PreCheck? If you charge for it, then at least the government will get some revenue. Random selection? That's unfair to frequent travelers.

It amazes me that it amazes other people that companies and organizations who operate like a real company or organization. Airlines aren't charities. They're businesses that operate for a profit. Being amazed when they make decisions that reduce costs and increase revenue is a little shortsighted.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Anudoric
Why does it amaze you?

What you're describing is exactly how organizations conduct themselves. If you're an adult and this still amazes you, then I don't even know...

What's the most efficient way to allocate resources for PreCheck? If you charge for it, then at least the government will get some revenue. Random selection? That's unfair to frequent travelers.

It amazes me that it amazes other people that companies and organizations who operate like a real company or organization. Airlines aren't charities. They're businesses that operate for a profit. Being amazed when they make decisions that reduce costs and increase revenue is a little shortsighted.
I interpreted the comment way differently than you did - I thought javabytes was saying that he was amazed people could be conditioned to get used to something like PreCheck or Economy Comfort so that later when it costs more money they'll pay for it with no real thought. It's a little surprising how inelastic comfort perks on airlines seemingly are.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by jspira
This all comes from an announcement made by the TSA last week that it will be cutting back on PreCheck for travelers who are not somehow enrolled in a trusted traveler program.
Actually the TSA announced this last summer (Augustish). They said they'd be waning peeps off of getting the "Free" pre-check.

Last edited by HDQDD; Apr 6, 2015 at 4:56 pm
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
...it's about time.... Pre should only go to registered travelers.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I totally agree. Like airline perks that people "pay" for, whether monetarily or through achieving X number of miles and $X of spend, Pre should operate in a similar fashion. It is not fair to those who pay for it to be inundated in the line with others who ride on their coattails, whether it is the random infrequent traveler who gets it and has no clue what to do, or frequent travelers who might have come to expect it. Frequent travelers on DL have Sky Priority at their disposal because they "paid" for it. Known Travelers have Pre Check at their disposal because they paid for it. Fair is fair.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
I interpreted the comment way differently than you did - I thought javabytes was saying that he was amazed people could be conditioned to get used to something like PreCheck or Economy Comfort so that later when it costs more money they'll pay for it with no real thought. It's a little surprising how inelastic comfort perks on airlines seemingly are.
The impression I got was that it annoyed him that an airline or TSA is charging for something that used to be free, and it annoyed him that customers are willing to pay for it.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
This might explain why on Sunday afternoon, the ATL SkyTeamElite security line was longer than it has been in a long time. The Pre-Check lines were shorter than they've been, but the STE line was longer.

Now if they could only implement a frequent traveler line within Pre-Check, those of us who know how to get through quickly won't get stuck behind the people who don't know water is a liquid, think going to the airport is reason to wear tons of heavy jewelry and stuff pockets with coins and are sure that the do-not-remove-your-computers, leave-on-light-jackets and shoes-stay-on-your-feet rules don't apply to them.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Why? Have I missed something? In the years they have been letting frequent travelers use the line, has there been an influx of evil-doers making it through the lines, causing havoc on planes? While any of us could make up possible harms, the facts are allowing frequent travelers through the Pre-Check lines has not resulted in a single safety issue. I have GE, which has saved me waiting in long lines coming back into the country, so I get PC either way, and look forward to the lines thinning, but there really isn't a security reason to stop allowing frequent travelers through.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Anudoric
The impression I got was that it annoyed him that an airline or TSA is charging for something that used to be free, and it annoyed him that customers are willing to pay for it.
It's mostly about how you dangle a carrot in front of and a stick behind people, and they've already forgotten that the carrot was taken from them in the first place.

Personally, my biggest issue is people providing biometrics and consenting to information about them being collected en masse and stored indefinitely in government databases. That this is considered normal - and indeed, desirable to so many to the point they are actually willing to pay extra for it - that's what amazes me. The TSA have quite effectively insulated themselves from the fact that they are the ones that made the screening process so intrusive in the first place. Indeed, they look like the good guys providing a way out for a measly $17/year. But this is a much longer term game. The government knows what it is doing. Airlines know what they are doing. It is people - I fear they know not what they are doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.