Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I was notified of the denial by letter. I did try calling the station chief where I’d had my interview, but she was rude and unhelpful. After a few rejected FOIA requests I finally wrote to the ombudsperson politely asking for a review, and several months later that too was denied without explanation.
I did not even get a denial letter Btw, did you travel internationally after the denial? Any issues whatsoever?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by adventurer17
I did not even get a denial letter Btw, did you travel internationally after the denial? Any issues whatsoever?
I’ve made over a dozen international trips since my GE denial. As I mentioned upthread, not only have I had no problems with CBP, I haven’t even had to wait in lines until recently, since Mobile Passport Control is handled separately from the main queue in most airports.

I did get SSSS once on my flight home from Costa Rica of all places, but I submitted a TSA redress claim and it hasn’t happened since.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
SSSS on an international departure to the US is almost meaningless as a suggestion that there is or is not a CBP problem. Perhaps if it happens 5+ times in a 2-3 month period. But, DHS requires that in addition to its ordinary selectees, the carriers pull up to 15% of the passengers per flight into secondary based on oddball factors and random selection.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
As one who was denied and subsequently approved, do you have any specific advice for someone who is considering reapplying?

As I mentioned upthread, my denial was in 2013, and I’m thinking of reapplying in 2018. I’ve had zero law enforcement or customs issues throughout my life, nor have I visited any countries on terror alert lists, which is why my denial was puzzling.
I retained a lawyer, FOIA'd every agency, found what was in my file and there was some court time involved as well (that was actually most directly related to the FOI requests.) While I'm personally very glad I undertook the project, it was lengthy and decidedly not free.

Personal opinion, I'd speculate that re-applying -without- knowing what caused your denial (as I was able to determine in my case--
Took well over a year) might have a somewhat low chance of success.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I retained a lawyer, FOIA'd every agency, found what was in my file and there was some court time involved as well (that was actually most directly related to the FOI requests.) While I'm personally very glad I undertook the project, it was lengthy and decidedly not free.

Personal opinion, I'd speculate that re-applying -without- knowing what caused your denial (as I was able to determine in my case--
Took well over a year) might have a somewhat low chance of success.
It would be enormously helpful to the community if you shared what got you rejected, how much your appeal cost, and whether your FOIA process resulted in an eventual GE (which is inferred but not directly stated.)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 12.2 when posting:
Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
I have recently had to delete a post where a member got personal with another.

If you believe that someone has violated the rules of FlyerTalk, please do not respond by posting in the thread, alert the moderators.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:49 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. I finally got the denial letter today that just says that I do not currently meet their strict standards. Of course, knowing more would be helpful, but oh well
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
This is unclear. Many people who have had it revoked - different than denied - report frequent if not constant secondary inspections for a period.
A denial is simply that - you didn't meet the strict criteria.

A revocation in almost all instances means that you violated program rules, which seems most often to be bringing impermissible items in without declaration. Even if you did this without GE if caught you would be likely to get more secondary inspections or scrutiny.

So I don't believe that experiences with revocation are particularly relevant to denial.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Check GE status?

I was told by a CBP agent at YYZ today that my GE would likely be revoked, because I complained about not being able to use the GE kiosks without presenting my card.

Is there any way to check on whether he actually followed through on the threat?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I was told by a CBP agent at YYZ today that my GE would likely be revoked, because I complained about not being able to use the GE kiosks without presenting my card.

Is there any way to check on whether he actually followed through on the threat?
I don’t know if the new Trusted Traveler Program website shows if your GE has been revoked. It might as mine shows “approved” and I’m guessing that it would show something else like “cancelled”, “revoked”, “disapproved”, etc., if an agent actually went into the system and voided your enrollment.

That said it seems a bit extreme that you’d get revoked for complaining but then again it appears from other posts here that the level of tolerance is low and reasons for revocation somewhat vague and maybe arbitrary. I understand an out and out violation like failing to declare goods or food but the old GOES website and maybe new TTP website said or say your GE card is not needed for the kiosk. Personally I’ve never had CBP agent ask for my GE card but have been asked for it by airport employee line sorters.

Last edited by Randyk47; Oct 25, 2017 at 8:16 am
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I don’t know if the new Trusted Traveler Program website shows if your GE has been revoked. It might as mine shows “approved” and I’m guessing that it was show something else like “cancelled”, “revoked”, “disapproved”, etc., if an agent actually went into the system and voided your enrollment.
Yup, it sure does. Mine clearly says "revoked" on the new site :/
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Yup, it sure does. Mine clearly says "revoked" on the new site :/
I’m guessing, actually pretty sure, they don’t tell you why you were “revoked”on the website. Probably would be something generic like “violated program conditions” rather than a detailed statement of a specific violation if they did explain so not of much use. Will say we’re really careful now. Mrs K forgot she picked up some peanut snacks in Santorini and didn’t declare them. They weren’t discovered so no harm and maybe they wouldn’t have been an issue but considering some of the posts here we’re now sufficiently paranoid.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Posts discussing whether a Global Entry card needs to be shown in order to access the GE kiosks were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:07 am

I was denied a few years ago. 'Didn't meet criteria'. My guess is because I applied a few weeks before ESTA rules were changed for people who had travelled to 5 certain countries - which I had done. (On a side note, anyone think this could be the reason?)

Didn't bother to appeal.

Is there a general consensus on whether its better to appeal or simply re-apply?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:31 am

Denied Global Entry - No Reason Other than “Born in, Traveled to Pakistan”

I had my global entry interview on December 28, 2017. My CBP officer was surprised to notify me that I had failed because he was not able to find any criminal, civil, agriculture, immigration or any other violation for that matter.

When I asked him why I was being denied, he stated because I was born in Pakistan and had traveled to Pakistan. He also mentioned that he would talk to his supervisor in a few days and wanted me to call him. I will be calling him tomorrow.He was confident that he would be able to get an approval for me as I had nothing on my record.

I was also shocked when I heard the news because I have been the United States citizen since 2003 and I moved to United States in 1990 as a permanent resident when I was only a teenager, that is 27 years. As far as I have researched, it is unlawful to discriminate / deny an applicant based upon national origin. I am planning to appeal this decision after I talk to him tomorrow.
Any comments would be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.