Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
If you renew after expiration date, then your new expiration date is five years from your next birth date. You run the risk of not having NEXUS/Global Entry while your renewal application is pending. If an interview is required, then that is a very long delay since no NEXUS interview is available for the foreseeable future.
Ahh that explains why my ^ above referenced approval is valid until June 2027. I just got my card in the mail today and did a huh? when I saw the June 2027 expiry. Thankfully I didn't need an interview, and honestly not having NEXUS/GE for the past 14 months really hasn't been that much of a hardship with the state of international travel being what it was. Though I am going to continue to have an extremely out of date picture on my card.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:54 pm

So, I had nothing better to do on a Saturday night and called the US customs office fully expecting to just hear a recorded message about the program. Imagine my surprise when a lady answered the phone and helpfully answered some of my questions!

Anyway, I am a Nexus member and have had a pending APEC interview for two years, with my interview scheduling deadline set for 8/31/2021. After explaining the situation, I was informed that they could not exte3nd that deadline, and the application would expire on that date. However, she DID say that once the border has reopened and interview slots are available, I could just callback and they would reinstate the application again and allow me to schedule an appointment. While none of this is in writing and was on a phone call, it is still welcome news for me to have some resolution. So, if anyone else has an expiring application, I would encourage you to reach out to USCBP once the enrollment centers open back up and see if you can get the application reinstated.

https://www.cbp.gov/contact
txviking likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by txviking
I was hoping we'd see some kind of announcement about NEXUS reopening in the wake of Canada opening the border to vaccinated Americans last week. For my own part, it's a moot point, as my renewal has been pending conditional approval since February. There is a 24-month grace period (I renewed well before my expiration date,) but I don't think I can use it to enter Canada before I get my information updated with CBSA, which is currently impossible.

On the plus side, I discovered that any Global Entry office can update the US side of the record.
I need to update my passport info, but my NEXUS card is sitting in renewal (done before expiration). I really dont care about Canada at the moment, I just want my PreCheck and Global Entry to continue. Can I just show up at a Global Entry office to show them my new passport?

Originally Posted by hisoka
So, I had nothing better to do on a Saturday night and called the US customs office fully expecting to just hear a recorded message about the program. Imagine my surprise when a lady answered the phone and helpfully answered some of my questions!

Anyway, I am a Nexus member and have had a pending APEC interview for two years, with my interview scheduling deadline set for 8/31/2021. After explaining the situation, I was informed that they could not exte3nd that deadline, and the application would expire on that date. However, she DID say that once the border has reopened and interview slots are available, I could just callback and they would reinstate the application again and allow me to schedule an appointment. While none of this is in writing and was on a phone call, it is still welcome news for me to have some resolution. So, if anyone else has an expiring application, I would encourage you to reach out to USCBP once the enrollment centers open back up and see if you can get the application reinstated.
But does your PreCheck and Global Entry continue, or does it just die with your application?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by twindaddy
I need to update my passport info, but my NEXUS card is sitting in renewal (done before expiration). I really dont care about Canada at the moment, I just want my PreCheck and Global Entry to continue. Can I just show up at a Global Entry office to show them my new passport?
You cannot update until your NEXUS is fully approved.

But does your PreCheck and Global Entry continue, or does it just die with your application?
PreCheck and Global Entry privileges continue as long as you renewed before expiration date. Once you passed the two year deadline, no one knows yet.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

PreCheck and Global Entry privileges continue as long as you renewed before expiration date. Once you passed the two year deadline, no one knows yet.
There was a FT data point (post 928) that Pre✓ is gone once expiration date hits despite a renewal application in process.

TechMarauder had to enrolled in Pre✓ separately as NEXUS application is stuck in conditional approval due to no interviews available.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:07 pm

Interesting,thanks. Wish I had waited till I got my new passport to submit my Nexus renewal, then I could have just updated online.

So I can keep using global entry even if the passport the Nexus / TTP has on file is expired? All my research would say yes, they do not impact eachother. Odd but OK. Hopefully pre-check is not impacted as you do not need a passport for that.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yesterday's email:

Due to travel restrictions, the Fort Erie Enrollment Center will remain closed until further notice. Enrollment Centers within the United States were reopened on September 8, 2020 for Global Entry applicants only. We will not process any FAST or NEXUS applications until Canadian Border Services Agency returns to the enrollment center. Applicants are encouraged to monitor their e-mail, Trusted Traveler Programs account and http://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov for additional information and/or updates.

Due to this your appointment has been cancelled. You will need to reschedule your appointmentby logging on to your account at https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov.

CBP’s highest priority is to ensure the health, safety and security of our workforce and the traveling public. CBP agents, officers, and mission support personnel continue to support the whole-of-government response to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Below are some frequently asked questions. For additional questions, please visit our frequently asked questions page at, https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en.

My appointment was canceled due to the closure of Trusted Traveler Program enrollment centers in response to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak; how can I reschedule my interview?

Conditionally-approved applicants who seek an enrollment center interview will need to reschedule, via their TTP account. Unfortunately, CBP is unable to automatically reschedule affected applicants.

Will my application still be canceled if I can’t complete an interview within 12 months?

In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, CBP has extended the 12 month requirement to 24 months.

Can I still complete my interview using the Enrollment on Arrival program?

CBP’s Enrollment on Arrivalprogram will remain operational. Conditionally-approved Global Entry applicants will be able to complete the enrollment process when arriving on an international flight at any of the 60 airports that offer this program.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL.For additional questions, please visit our frequently asked questions page at, https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en.

Thank you,
Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
On another note, has anyone been able to schedule virtual appointments? And are there any "tricks of the trade"? I have tried "first available", changed time zones, selected specific months but NOTHING is ever available as far out as the calendar goes.

Does this option even work?

The last time I landed in the US, despite the terminal being empty, the agent said they couldn't complete my interview due to "a lot of people in the terminal". Rigggghhhht......
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
On another note, has anyone been able to schedule virtual appointments? And are there any "tricks of the trade"? I have tried "first available", changed time zones, selected specific months but NOTHING is ever available as far out as the calendar goes.

Does this option even work?

The last time I landed in the US, despite the terminal being empty, the agent said they couldn't complete my interview due to "a lot of people in the terminal".
Enrollment on Arrival and Remote interviews are currently available only to renewing Global Entry members, not for NEXUS renewals.

Please refer to the following thread and, for indexing and future search purposes, continue the discussion of remote interviews there:This thread is about Nexus renewals. Please confine your contributions here to NEXUS renewal issues and timelines.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 25, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Old Aug 25, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Thank you for the note and for the link.

I have noted accordingly. Sorry for the drift.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
This is not entirely correct. It is true that you cannot update information yourself before your NEXUS is fully approved. Enrollment officers, however, can. I went to my local Global Entry office (yes, I have NEXUS, not GE) and they were able to update my documents for me after reviewing them in person. They were able to do a name change, update a document (Norwegian passport) and add a document (US passport.)

They did warn me that they cannot update CBSA systems (ie. the Canadian side.) Since NEXUS is seemingly shut down in Canada, I don't know of a way to get their systems updated. But I figured I'd at least take care of the US side.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by txviking
This is not entirely correct. It is true that you cannot update information yourself before your NEXUS is fully approved. Enrollment officers, however, can. I went to my local Global Entry office (yes, I have NEXUS, not GE) and they were able to update my documents for me after reviewing them in person. They were able to do a name change, update a document (Norwegian passport) and add a document (US passport.)

They did warn me that they cannot update CBSA systems (ie. the Canadian side.) Since NEXUS is seemingly shut down in Canada, I don't know of a way to get their systems updated. But I figured I'd at least take care of the US side.
Great info, thank you. So I wonder what the best way to get the Canadian side updated would be. Just do a walk in once the enrollment centers re-open?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Great info, thank you. So I wonder what the best way to get the Canadian side updated would be. Just do a walk in once the enrollment centers re-open?
That is my plan. I don't know of any other way.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

For indexing and future search purposes, please let's get back to the subject of this thread, that is NEXUS renewal information and timelines.

If you wish to continue discussing updating passport and/or driver license in your NEXUS profiles, please do so in The NEXUS Information Thread or the Global Entry / NEXUS - How to Update Passport Information? thread where such issues are commonly discussed.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by seawolf
There was a FT data point (post 928) that Pre✓ is gone once expiration date hits despite a renewal application in process.

TechMarauder had to enrolled in Pre✓ separately as NEXUS application is stuck in conditional approval due to no interviews available.
My Nexus expired March 2021 and husband's June 2021 (USA citizens). We renewed before expiration but got conditional approval requiring interviews. From other data points I've read, it could be the number of countries visited, but also more likely could be multiple trips to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Turkey. Our boarding passes still show TSA Pre. Haven't flown internationally. Still looking for Nexus interviews to open and am following this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.