Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Strange Nexus renewal timelines:

I applied for Nexus renewal on May 11 and still shows in Pending Review.
My wife applied for Nexus renewal on July 20 and received her new card in the mail today.

nrg
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Strange Nexus renewal timelines:

I applied for Nexus renewal on May 11 and still shows in Pending Review.
My wife applied for Nexus renewal on July 20 and received her new card in the mail today.

nrg
I assume you and your wife have the same citizenship, share the same address(es), not too many jobs, travel to the same countries, etc..? If so, yeah, that's weird. Another person mentioned unbelievable renewal timeline for his wife. Could be these applications just fall into random buckets and it's the luck of the draw.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
All the same except citizenship: I'm dual USA / Canada and she's USA only.
One more difference is this her 1st renewal but I'm going for my 2nd.
DualityOfNam likes this.

Last edited by nrgiii; Aug 4, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by Leopardz
I was almost certain that I had done it in San Francisco the first time. Is that not possible? I definitely didnt go to a border town. Theres a small possibility that I could have done it during a quick trip to Vancouver but I was pretty sure that it had been at SFO hmm
This is not only possible, it used to be true!

Back when Nexus first started, there were actually two locations on the west coast:

-King County airport in Seattle (NOT Sea-Tac, but right outside of downtown)
-SFO

Both offices have since closed, actually prior to COVID. You're not wrong - you probably did interview there, but that is no longer an option.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott, Delta, American
Originally Posted by DualityOfNam
Interviews are a bit of hassle but nothing like waiting months or longer for conditional approval. I don't think your list of visited countries is the issue. It's likely the moving 10 times in 5 years and holding 9 different jobs that is the trigger. And how did you pull off a permanent address in Canada? Are you a dual citizen?

Still, if it took only 9 days for a profile like yours to get conditional approval, I'm quite optimistic now. I've had the same address and job for a very long time.
I only 'lived' in Canada for a month. I spent a month at an Airbnb in Montreal between moving from FL to NYC. I put every sublet I had in Brooklyn, some for as little as two months, and every odd job I worked. Definitely had a Bohemian last couple of years! Wanted to be as transparent as possible because I want to keep my NEXUS benefits lol.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
I have renewed my nexus prior to expiration but they required an interview. My card officially expired last month but the system says that the expiration is extended for 24 months due to no interviews available.

my question - can I use the nexus machine with the card when entering Canada?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by seegs
I have renewed my nexus prior to expiration but they required an interview. My card officially expired last month but the system says that the expiration is extended for 24 months due to no interviews available.

my question - can I use the nexus machine with the card when entering Canada?
You should be able to.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:05 pm

Replacement card: turnaround time ?

Hi all

anyone recently got a replacement card in the mail? Just wondering how long it takes to get it. (Im in the US)

I dont see anywhere on the site where it can notify you that its been produced.

thank you.

// they say on the site up to ten days but hoping its quicker
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Hi all

anyone recently got a replacement card in the mail? Just wondering how long it takes to get it. (I’m in the US)

I don’t see anywhere on the site where it can notify you that it’s been produced.

thank you.

// they say on the site up to ten days but hoping it’s quicker
Not a replacement card, but it took less than a week for my new card to show up in the Toronto suburbs after renewal was approved - shipped from the US. Very quick.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
January 25: Renewal submitted (1st renewal)
August 12: Approved, no interview required.

Added a few countries in between initial approval and renewal. Been a long 7 months of regular security...
txviking likes this.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Aug 12, 2021 at 9:46 am
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
January 25: Renewal submitted (1st renewal)
August 12: Approved, no interview required.

Added a few countries in between initial approval and renewal. Been a long 7 months of regular security...
Mark your calendar to renew 364 days before expiration.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Mark your calendar to renew 364 days before expiration.
If you submit for renewal before expiration but not early enough then they automatically give a grace period while your app is pending. At least this was the case pre covid. Thus you can squeeze out an extra year because the new card most likely gets produced after your bday, making the next expiration be 5y after the *next* bday
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:36 pm

Aug 11: replacement card requested in the afternoon.
Aug 14: received the replacement in the mail. Card was printed same day as I requested it.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
If you submit for renewal before expiration but not early enough then they automatically give a grace period while your app is pending. At least this was the case pre covid. Thus you can squeeze out an extra year because the new card most likely gets produced after your bday, making the next expiration be 5y after the *next* bday
If you renew before expiration date, your new expiration date is five years from expiration date.

If you renew after expiration date, then your new expiration date is five years from your next birth date. You run the risk of not having NEXUS/Global Entry while your renewal application is pending. If an interview is required, then that is a very long delay since no NEXUS interview is available for the foreseeable future.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I was hoping we'd see some kind of announcement about NEXUS reopening in the wake of Canada opening the border to vaccinated Americans last week. For my own part, it's a moot point, as my renewal has been pending conditional approval since February. There is a 24-month grace period (I renewed well before my expiration date,) but I don't think I can use it to enter Canada before I get my information updated with CBSA, which is currently impossible.

On the plus side, I discovered that any Global Entry office can update the US side of the record.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.