Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by leland
Up for renewal, and trying to figure out how to update my "current" address. I've updated my mailing address, but it seems like the only way to update the current address is to a visit an enrollment center (which are not open). What a weird catch-22.

I'm planning to update my driver's license info then get the renewal going to see if it goes automatically before messing with this in case it trips things up, but accept any coaching on what really needs to be updated and how to actually do it. I don't want to flag myself accidentally by updating my expired driver's license in the system (I'm more than 6 months overdue to update that) or by really chasing how to update the address.
Since NEXUS offices were closed, I've gone to GE offices (actually three times now -- long story) to update documents. This has worked at least for the US side; I haven't been to Canada since the pandemic, but I would not be surprised if their systems are now out of sync. However, since Canada has decided that NEXUS is not a priority for them, updating the US side via a Global Entry office is apparently the only choice available.
leland likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:47 pm

How far in advance can we renew our Nexus card? Me and husband's cards expire on the same year but on our birthday month. One expiring mid year and the other expiring end of the same year. Is it possible to apply for renewal together (I know ew need separate application forms), so we don't have to travel for the interview 2 times? Does anyone has this experience?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by seapad
How far in advance can we renew our Nexus card? Me and husband's cards expire on the same year but on our birthday month. One expiring mid year and the other expiring end of the same year. Is it possible to apply for renewal together (I know ew need separate application forms), so we don't have to travel for the interview 2 times? Does anyone has this experience?

Thanks in advance!
If you scroll through this and other NEXUS threads, you’ll see stories of people who applied together and were approved far apart. Doesn’t hurt to try. You can apply for renewal as soon as a year before expiration, so you’d want to do your plan a year before the later of the two renewals. But don’t expect their renewal applications to stay tied together.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by seapad

Thanks in advance!
You are eligible to renew one year in advance of expiration, which is always your birthday. You currently have up to two years to schedule a renewal interview - if a renewal interview is required - renewals are sometimea approved without an interview being required.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by txviking
Since NEXUS offices were closed, I've gone to GE offices (actually three times now -- long story) to update documents. This has worked at least for the US side; I haven't been to Canada since the pandemic, but I would not be surprised if their systems are now out of sync. However, since Canada has decided that NEXUS is not a priority for them, updating the US side via a Global Entry office is apparently the only choice available.
A US Customs pre-clearance agent in Canada was able to update my Visa information for my Nexus membership while I was flying back to the US. They mentioned that I should be able to use the Nexus machines immediately when entering the US.
Like your thinking, I think the Canadian side is not synced so likely I would continue to use the normal line and maybe ask to see if they are also able to update it during my next border crossing into Canada.
txviking likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:49 am

My birthday is in January, my children in April and my husband's in May. All of our memberships expire on our birthdays in 2023. Last renewal was in 2018 & for the reasons you mentioned, I applied for all our renewals together in July 2017 and in the end we were all approved unconditionally in August. This time I applied for mine separately as early as possible figuring it might take a long time based on some of the comments on this board I applied on Sunday night and received my approval today until January 2028 with no interview needed, so it only took 3 business days. None of my residence or work info had changed since the last renewal so I suspect that may have made some difference in the new streamlined process.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jordanielle
My birthday is in January, my children in April and my husband's in May. All of our memberships expire on our birthdays in 2023. Last renewal was in 2018 & for the reasons you mentioned, I applied for all our renewals together in July 2017 and in the end we were all approved unconditionally in August. This time I applied for mine separately as early as possible figuring it might take a long time based on some of the comments on this board I applied on Sunday night and received my approval today until January 2028 with no interview needed, so it only took 3 business days. None of my residence or work info had changed since the last renewal so I suspect that may have made some difference in the new streamlined process.
Oh how I wish that were true, but I applied for renewal in May 2021 with no changes in work or residence, and am still pending review.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:51 am
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
My second renewal. I applied on the first day I could, on my birthday in April 2021. Received conditional approval today, February 11. The 2 year clock starts today, so I have until Feb. 11 2024 to book an interview

More than 10 months, 300+ days for conditional approval.

Glad that is finally processed, but annoyed to have to interview again. Especially since there are zero available days at any location I could find or via Zoom.

Last edited by BTA; Feb 11, 2022 at 10:43 am
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by BTA
Glad that is finally processed, but annoyed to have to interview again. Especially since there are zero available days at any location I could find or via Zoom.
To my knowledge CBP and CBSA are not conducting any Zoom interviews for Nexus. CBP has an option for Zoom interviews for Global Entry, and since the Nexus appointment scheduling is on the same platform, you see the Zoom option. I suspect that when Nexus interviews resume, locations will go in and add appointment capacity. That's what happened back in December when they announced the resumption of in-person interviews on the U.S. side of the border. I remember seeing more interview locations than the ones currently listed on the Nexus site.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE/JPNTTP/APEC/CREW
Here's my data point.

'First' NEXUS renewal, fourth TTP app.

Initially had GE, a year later applied for NEXUS as I was starting to travel to Canada more and interviewed at a pop-up location in DC. Also, have an ABTC. Applied for renewal 1.5 weeks ago, 10-day turnaround, fully approved with no additional interview.

FWIW I'm currently an airline Crewmember, which may have some consideration on my renewal application/interview requirements/timeline, however I'm speculating.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE/JPNTTP/APEC/CREW
Originally Posted by leland
Up for renewal, and trying to figure out how to update my "current" address. I've updated my mailing address, but it seems like the only way to update the current address is to a visit an enrollment center (which are not open). What a weird catch-22.

I'm planning to update my driver's license info then get the renewal going to see if it goes automatically before messing with this in case it trips things up, but accept any coaching on what really needs to be updated and how to actually do it. I don't want to flag myself accidentally by updating my expired driver's license in the system (I'm more than 6 months overdue to update that) or by really chasing how to update the address.
When you fill out your renewal it will also process the update for your primary address.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes
Here's my data point.

[…], fully approved with no additional interview.

FWIW I'm currently an airline Crewmember, which may have some consideration on my renewal application/interview requirements/timeline, however I'm speculating.
I was one of the first Nexus members when it was just land crossing (had a US immigration agent say he has never seen a known traveller number as low as mine 😂 ). I have had a lot of renewals and have never had an interview with a renewal…
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by BTA
More than 10 months, 300+ days for conditional approval.
Wow! I'm still in Pending Review after 155 days for my 2nd renewal. I no longer feel unique. Glad you finally got conditional approval.

nrg
BTA likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nrgiii
Wow! I'm still in Pending Review after 155 days for my 2nd renewal. I no longer feel unique. Glad you finally got conditional approval.

nrg
Ditto! Waiting since May 2021.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Datapoint from a family member I helped submit a renewal for:

-Renewal application submitted February 3rd
-Full approval (no interview required) on February 8.

Said family member retired a few years ago, so maybe they consider retirees low risk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.