Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by txviking
Yes, you can cross the border with an expired card within the grace period. The extension would be meaningless otherwise. However, I would presume you CANNOT cross the border without a valid travel document (ie. a NON-expired passport) tied to your NEXUS card.

I don't know the answer to your passport question. I am pretty sure you would need to renew the passport first, but once you do, I don't know if it lets you update the passport online or if a Global Entry location has access to update it. NEXUS locations are closed for the time being.
A NEXUS Card is a valid travel document itself.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
That is great to know Zoom interview is now available for NEXUS also.
Don't hold your breath for an online NEXUS interview. While they have been offering that option for months, no one on this forum has actually been able to successfully schedule and participate in a Zoom NEXUS interview. GE - sometimes. NEXUS - never. We're all waiting as fast as we can for either online slots to open or the border to reopen. The latter is more likely to happen first, I would guess.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by simchi
Applied for 2nd (10 year) renewal July 2021.
Conditionally approved July 2021 about 1 week later. Interview required.
I have options for in person and online interview.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
That is great to know Zoom interview is now available for NEXUS also.
Do you see any remote appointment availability for Nexus though? I just flipped all the way through December 2022 and didn't see any. :/
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Do you see any remote appointment availability for Nexus though? I just flipped all the way through December 2022 and didn't see any. :/
Nothing looks available, but I plan to go in person with my child for their first-time application when things reopen so we can get it done at the same time... so I was not going remote anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:27 pm

Current membership expring Q4 2021
Late Jan 2021 renewal submitted
20 July 2021 conditional approval received, interview required (both in-person and remote available to choose)

Tried to schedule an appointment in-person or remote and saw nothing all the way through end of 2022. Looks like it's gonna be up to luck to snatch any last minute available spots. I will wait 6 months before I even try to check regularly.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Your choice of course but why do you need to travel? Can't you just schedule the remote interviews for Nexus once they become available? For now, your membership will just be extended.

so have you heard if they will officially be extending again. I ask cause the 730 days extension will not cut it for me

like a few months ago show up on my and my wife’s page

Schedule your appointment as soon as possible. If you do not select an appointment date by Sunday, August xx 2021, your application will be deleted from the system. You will be required to resubmit your application and pay the application fee again.

I tried to call never Abel to speak to anyone emailed and in 24 hr got back and just repeated the 730 days and all should be fine which leads me to believe they didn’t look at my individual account and just read from a standard piece of paper on what to say

Originally Posted by sholnay
Fair point, just not sure I trust zoom interviews every materializing.
When they were asked about zoom interviews for GE and nexus they said for sure only renewals and never four brand new Application sadly.

for nexus right now they are supposedly in beta testing zoom interviews for renewals and not heard any more

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 24, 2021 at 1:27 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by sholnay
Fair point, just not sure I trust zoom interviews every materializing.
Originally Posted by mrlogboy
so have you heard if they will officially be extending again. I ask cause the 730 days extension will not cut it for me

like a few months ago show up on my and my wife’s page

Schedule your appointment as soon as possible. If you do not select an appointment date by Sunday, August xx 2021, your application will be deleted from the system. You will be required to resubmit your application and pay the application fee again.

I tried to call never Abel to speak to anyone emailed and in 24 hr got back and just repeated the 730 days and all should be fine which leads me to believe they didn’t look at my individual account and just read from a standard piece of paper on what to say
I renewed my application in June 2021, so I figure 730 days should buy me enough time. If the pandemic is still preventing the return of normal 2 years from now, I suspect I'll have bigger issues than Nexus renewal to worry about.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:52 pm

Has anyone actually been able to schedule a Nexus interview? I just logged on and there are not any appointment at any location in Canada or the US.

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jashah
Has anyone actually been able to schedule a Nexus interview? I just logged on and there are not any appointment at any location in Canada or the US.

Thanks
The NEXUS Enrollment Centers are currently closed.
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Just received this email today:

NEXUS and FAST enrollment centres remain temporarily closed and enrollment interviews are not being conducted at this time. The enrollment centres will remain closed until the travel restrictions at the Canada-United States border are lifted. As a result, all NEXUS and FAST interviews that were previously scheduled will be cancelled, and applicants and existing members will need to reschedule interviews after the CBSA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) resume enrollment operations. Further updates on the re-opening of the enrollment centres will be shared on the CBSA website.

Existing NEXUS and FAST members who renew their membership before the expiry date on their card will be granted an extension of their membership benefits. Therefore, please renew your membership before it expires to avoid losing your privileges while your renewal is pending.

Visit Current border measures and requirements for information about how COVID-19 is affecting travellers, border services, programs and business.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience through this process.

Sincerely,

Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate
Canada Border Services Agency
txviking likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I wonder if that might change with Canada's partial reopening on August 9th?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
The NEXUS Enrollment Centers are currently closed.
To confirm, does this apply to all US and Canada NEXUS Enrollment Centers, or just Canada NEXUS Enrollment Centers? The email seems to be coming from CBSA and would like to confirm if this is true from the US side as well.
Considering NEXUS requires interviews by both countries, I assume it the closure applies to the US as well, but its the government, so I never know for sure.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bbzidane
To confirm, does this apply to all US and Canada NEXUS Enrollment Centers, or just Canada NEXUS Enrollment Centers? The email seems to be coming from CBSA and would like to confirm if this is true from the US side as well.
Considering NEXUS requires interviews by both countries, I assume it the closure applies to the US as well, but its the government, so I never know for sure.
US Nexus enrollment centers aren’t really “US” as much as they’re shared with Canada since they’re on the border, and obviously since you need both officers you can’t do an enrollment appointment or interview. So there really aren’t any US nexus enrollment centers effectively since the CBSA is necessary for that function regardless of location. As far as I remember, enrollment centers in US airports and cities are open now but of course they don’t process nexus applications.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

For indexing and future search purposes, posts discussing updating passport and/or citizenship information for NEXUS members, and the pros and cons of NEXUS vs. Global Entry were moved to the relevant threads. Members whose posts were relocated were notified by private messages.

Please try to keep your contributions in this thread focused on NEXUS renewal issues and timelines.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by txviking
I wonder if that might change with Canada's partial reopening on August 9th?
To add to the fun, CBSA union members have voted for strike action.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:02 am

I hope to have the same luck as you. Mine expires in June 2022 as well and I applied for renewal yesterday.

How many countries did you travel to since your last application? I traveled to 5 so on the lower end of the count spectrum.

Was this your first renewal? And are you a Canadian, American or both?

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
My Nexus is expiring in June 2022, so I applied for renewal on July 9 (last Friday).

Today, July 13, it's showing approved and no interview needed.

I'm shocked. I was expecting it to take many, many months, not over-the-weekend plus 1 business day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.