Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Ugh - I'm in "pending review" status and my expiration is June. I have several unused credit card precheck reimbursements available. I guess it's probably not possible to go ahead and ALSO apply for precheck in the meantime?
Has anyone actually attempted this? Also curious if this will require another interview for PreCheck.
Old May 6, 2021, 12:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Has anyone actually attempted this? Also curious if this will require another interview for PreCheck.
I did it. Enrolled in PreCheck and went to the enrollment office at DCA to finalize and pay - that took about 4 minutes.
mcdullhk88 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
Standalone PreCheck applications are processed by the TSA, yes, an interview is required; please refer to the following thread: The TSA PreCheck Information Thread. NEXUS (in the US) and Global Entry are managed by the CBP. Both NEXUS and Global Entry include PreCheck.

If you applied for NEXUS renewal before the expiration date, you will continue to receive all NEXUS benefits pending the final approval of the renewal application. Please refer to post number 865 in this thread.
Old May 7, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884

If you applied for NEXUS renewal before the expiration date, you will continue to receive all NEXUS benefits pending the final approval of the renewal application. Please refer to post number 865 in this thread.
So says the Nexus site, but it’s sounding like that the CBP may not care. Here’s anecdotal evidence of two incidences of no Pre-Check for travelers who had received conditional approval for renewals and were awaiting appointments for interviews.
Any reports from folks in the same situation who are getting Pre-Check with each flight?

Originally Posted by leland
Two in a row no pre check; I'm taking that to mean the conditional approval isn't granting benefits.
Originally Posted by leland
Partner filed for Nexus renewal in September, conditionally approved in November; interview required. Now that we have flight #1 booked it seems like no TSA Pre-Check for her either. So that err sucks. Especially since I have that lovely checkmark on my boarding pass but won't be able to use it. Royal PITA.

Are there options for her to be able to get PreCheck or GE in the interim while stuck in Nexus limbo? Or is this just a Catch-22.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
I did it. Enrolled in PreCheck and went to the enrollment office at DCA to finalize and pay - that took about 4 minutes.
Did that have any impact on your Nexus application? My Nexus expires next April, I applied for renewal a few weeks ago, got conditionally approved quickly pending an interview, but of course no appointments exist. I am flying next week, will see whether I get PreCheck. If I don't, and it is possible to get without affecting my Nexus enrollment, I would be willing to go that route.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:05 pm

Also - I assume that the only benefit anecdotally affected seems to be PreCheck. Global Entry continues to work, correct?
Old May 9, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by md125
Also - I assume that the only benefit anecdotally affected seems to be PreCheck. Global Entry continues to work, correct?
Check the TTP website for the status of your membership. Either your membership is valid (due to the various validity extensions) or it is not valid. There should be no middle ground - either valid or not valid.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by md125
Did that have any impact on your Nexus application? My Nexus expires next April, I applied for renewal a few weeks ago, got conditionally approved quickly pending an interview, but of course no appointments exist. I am flying next week, will see whether I get PreCheck. If I don't, and it is possible to get without affecting my Nexus enrollment, I would be willing to go that route.
My Nexus application status still says "Pending Review".
Old May 9, 2021, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Check the TTP website for the status of your membership. Either your membership is valid (due to the various validity extensions) or it is not valid. There should be no middle ground - either valid or not valid.
I spoke with a Canadian officer on the Nexus help line Friday afternoon and he said it appears that while Canada is extending benefits, the US may not be as people are only “conditionally approved” (or whatever the phrase is) until the renewal interviews take place.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by joanek
I spoke with a Canadian officer on the Nexus help line Friday afternoon and he said it appears that while Canada is extending benefits, the US may not be as people are only “conditionally approved” (or whatever the phrase is) until the renewal interviews take place.
That is incorrect!

From the US CBP National Media Release:
CBP reminds the public that the agency took measures earlier this year to minimize the impact of the temporary enrollment centers closure on Trusted Traveler Program applicants. Each applicant now has 545 days from the date that CBP conditionally approves his or her application to complete the enrollment process. In addition, CBP will extend for up to 18 months the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who apply for renewal before their current membership expires.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Data point for benefits after expiry - so far 100%.

8/19: Nexus renewal application
3/20: conditional approval
5/20 appointment cancelled.
7/20 Nexus expired
7/20 appointment cancelled
12/20 appointment cancelled
7'21 appointment cancelled
4/21 got precheck 3x, 3 separate airlines
4/21 entered US via GE line
5/21 got precheck 4th airline
seawolf, Rare, chrisny2 and 3 others like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Avis First, National Emerald Exec.
Renewal request: September 23, 2020
Approved: May 13, 2021
Days to renew: 232

US Citizen / Canadian PR

No interview needed. Seems in line with others in this scenario.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by bimmerm3m5
Renewal request: September 23, 2020
Approved: May 13, 2021
Days to renew: 232

US Citizen / Canadian PR

No interview needed. Seems in line with others in this scenario.
Is your previous expiration date June 2021?
Old May 18, 2021, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
That is incorrect!

From the US CBP National Media Release:
Yes, that's what the website says- but we're seeing anecdotal evidence (as quoted earlier) that some people are not receiving all their benefits. According to both the US and Canadian agents I spoke with today, it could be that ID in their trusted traveler record expired between the time the application was filled out and the year(s) it is taking to get an interview. I asked about this as I just got an updated license and wanted to update the expiry date in my record.

If your license or passport expires during the wait time for an interview, your record can't be updated until after your interview. Both agents said that WILL cause a problem when it comes time for PreCheck. The Canadian agent wouldn't say whether it would affect Nexus, but the US agent indicated Global Entry could be affected by an expired passport date in your record.

Applying for standalone PreCheck was offered up as a way of getting through US airport lines quickly this summer, as no one knows when Canadian borders will open for interviews. The clock is ticking - you're given a two year extension from your original expiry date (not the date of your renewal), so people with Feb 2020 expiry dates are extended only through Feb 2022 - 8.5 months from now.
chrisny2 and mcdullhk88 like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:50 pm

applied for renewal in Oct 2020, just got notice of approval today without interview.
7 month wait

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.