Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The dreaded "X" with Global Entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dreaded "X" with Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:02 pm

I used my GE card for the first time at YYZ this week and received the 'X'. The officer asked me if I had ever been fingerprinted, and I told him that I had, having had two misdemeanors some 40 years ago. Since I already was cleared for GOES, and not deemed a dangerous person, I wondered why this would even be an issue. The fellow at the kiosk was nice enough and told me that I'd have to go to a Global Entry office and get what is called a 'demotion' or else I'd keep getting X'd. I'm really confused!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:48 pm
RCJ

Programs: DL Platinum
Is Global Entry worth it if I already get an X from the kiosk every time?

About once every month I make the trek down to Brazil on DL via ATL. Every time, without exception, when going through automated passport control in customs the kiosk spits out an X on my receipt (I'd love to know why, but that's not the purpose of this, my very first post).

Now that I have Platinum Medallion status with DL, one of the Choice Benefits I can choose is a voucher for the GE application. If I got GE, would it really be advantageous at all as I would still get the dreaded X receipt every time?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by RCJ
About once every month I make the trek down to Brazil on DL via ATL. Every time, without exception, when going through automated passport control in customs the kiosk spits out an X on my receipt (I'd love to know why, but that's not the purpose of this, my very first post).

Now that I have Platinum Medallion status with DL, one of the Choice Benefits I can choose is a voucher for the GE application. If I got GE, would it really be advantageous at all as I would still get the dreaded X receipt every time?
Just curious - have you ever asked a CBP agent why you are getting the Xs?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by RCJ

If you're getting an X every time you might not be approved for GE.. but I'd definitely inquire about the X first. Anything in your past customs related? Get caught with a banana in your bag that you forgot about?

GE is worth it...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:42 pm
RCJ

Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
Yes. The first time I asked I was met by a cold, angry stare as if I shouldn't be asking. The second time I asked I was told "Not sure" with a shrug of the shoulders.

One time I was in the X line with a gentleman who was a member of a flight crew, he said he gets the X every single time as well and that no one could tell him why but one CBP agent suggested that he might share a name with someone on a naughty list. I do share a name (first and last, not middle) with a famous actor with a somewhat sketchy past...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:48 pm
RCJ

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
If you're getting an X every time you might not be approved for GE.. but I'd definitely inquire about the X first. Anything in your past customs related? Get caught with a banana in your bag that you forgot about?

GE is worth it...
Absolutely nothing in my past customs related, although if it would it would probably be a forgotten banana!

There is a section in the official GE site's FAQ which talks about what to do when you get an X, so the possibility of getting X'd won't go away apparently.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:49 pm
RCJ

Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
Yes. The first time I asked I was met by a cold, angry stare as if I shouldn't be asking. The second time I asked I was told "Not sure" with a shrug of the shoulders.

One time I was in the X line with a gentleman who was a member of a flight crew, he said he gets the X every single time as well and that no one could tell him why but one CBP agent suggested that he might share a name with someone on a naughty list. I do share a name (first and last, not middle) with a famous actor with a somewhat sketchy past...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by RCJ

Hmmm...well perhaps you need a redress number then.. might be worth digging deeper. On every itinerary there's a field for known traveler number (which you get if you join GE..used for TSA PreCheck)..and also for a redress number.. to prove you're not someone with a similar name. Not sure if that would help at the regular passport kiosks...but it might for GE, and for TSA Pre.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RCJ

If you're getting flagged every time you go through customs, getting GE won't change that. You need to address the underlying issue. Request a redress number.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:37 am

OP, I am in a very similar situation, you can search for a post of mine from about a week ago.

I am a green card holder and every time (no exception), I get an X on my receipt and I am sent to secondary, now, in secondary, nobody ask's me anything and we just play the wait game (20mins-3hrs on avg) and they let me in, I too got a cold and angry responses from CBP officers while questioned about why am I being sent here every time.

I did a bit of a research and I filed a complaint\inquiry to DHS, you can do the same by following this link - https://trip.dhs.gov/

I still haven't received any response (2 months have been passed) but I did receive a redress number which I am using on my reservations from now and on.

I also applied for GE and got approved, I asked the CBP officer in the GE interview about my situation and he said something like "well, even with GE is not guaranteed to skip secondary" I mentioned that I am OK with being sent every now and then, randomly, but this is getting ridiculous, he added a few notes on his computer and told me I am approved.
to be honest, even if I will skip the customs line in IAD and still get sent to secondary, it will still worth the $100 in my opinion.

I haven't left the states ever since obtaining my GE, but I will soon and keep you updated if you are interested. but my advice 1) file a compliant to dhs using trip 2) apply for a GE - you can do both simultaneously. 3) use the redress number that you will get from DHS on your reservations.

Good luck
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:07 am
RCJ

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I am a green card holder and every time (no exception), I get an X on my receipt and I am sent to secondary, now, in secondary, nobody ask's me anything and we just play the wait game (20mins-3hrs on avg) and they let me in, I too got a cold and angry responses from CBP officers while questioned about why am I being sent here every time.
Thanks everyone, I went ahead and applied for a redress number this morning via DHS TRIP. I hope that helps. I will probably end up applying for the GE as well.

justsawaufo, I hope things work out for you and will be interested to hear how things go on your next trip and return. 20 mins - 3 hrs on average!? I feel like I almost have nothing to complain about. At ATL, and usually on an early morning flight in and with the advantage of being on the front of the plane, I don't think I've ever been set back more than 20 minutes. It's usually about 10 minutes.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:19 am

I usually enter at Dulles, I got "lucky" sometimes where there was not a single soul in secondary and it took me 5-6 minutes, but the majority of the time it is well above 1.5hrs until you get called. It is still a hassle don't get me wrong, even if it takes 10 minutes, but at this point, if it's not going to workout, I'll keep the GE until I'll become a citizen, and hopefully then it will be easier, although I have seen citizens at secondary as well, but they get processed much much faster. I'll keep you posted on my process with DHS.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:05 am

Can I ask a stupid question. What's the point of having the system flag someone for secondary if the CBP officers conducting the secondary screen don't even know why someone's been flagged? Shouldn't it tell them so they know what to be on the lookout for? Seems pointless...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by danib62
Can I ask a stupid question. What's the point of having the system flag someone for secondary if the CBP officers conducting the secondary screen don't even know why someone's been flagged? Shouldn't it tell them so they know what to be on the lookout for? Seems pointless...
The CBP officers in secondary know exactly why you were sent there, don't be naive, they only act stupid\don't want to disclose it.

To be honest, its not their job to "fix" a person who's been flag automatically, its more like a catch and release system-

justsawaufo fly to the US (get flagged)
justsawaufo get X on his receipt
justsawaufo get sent to secondary
CBP officers "fix" the issue (1 time)
and it's a loop, over and over again, unless you contact DHS and get an actual response from them, its not going to go away.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I get an X every single time as well, but I know exactly why I get it (and it has been disclosed to me many times by the CBP officers).

However, I still think it is worth it, because there is a dedicated officer for the GE kiosk section to which no other passengers except GE with an X and crew members are sent. It is still always faster for me to go that way, than the much longer queue of the general populace.

Also, once you clear immigration, you are still entitled to use the GE line for customs clearance which is much faster than the long lines for general customs clearance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.