Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The dreaded "X" with Global Entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dreaded "X" with Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Happened once to me, the CBP officer looked at my passport, hit a few buttons, asked me like 2 questions, stamp and only my way within 60 seconds. lol, no biggie.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Happened once to me, the CBP officer looked at my passport, hit a few buttons, asked me like 2 questions, stamp and only my way within 60 seconds. lol, no biggie.
Once I got the "X", sent to the special room--the agent thought it was fingerprint related. He did NOT stamp my pp.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver/MM, IHG Platinum/RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
On my way back from Canada yesterday, I got the "X" for the first time. I could not figure out what caused it but PP control guy simply told me in a rather rude manner, "don't worry about it". When I tried to asked again what it was about, he simple replied "don't worry about it". I thank him and left. So I ready have no clue what it was about.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Iflynwa
On my way back from Canada yesterday, I got the "X" for the first time. I could not figure out what caused it but PP control guy simply told me in a rather rude manner, "don't worry about it". When I tried to asked again what it was about, he simple replied "don't worry about it". I thank him and left. So I ready have no clue what it was about.
I agree with the officer at passport control. Don't worry about it (as I mentioned a few posts up).
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I was told to expect the X, and secondary due to my fingerprints being unclear.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.4; HTC6525LVW Build/KTU84P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.45 Mobile Safari/537.36)

After getting my third x in a month, I went onto the office this week. Turns out they didn't clear something when processing my renewal. They sorted it out, though despite grilling me whether I was sure I didn't have any duis. All fixed now. So seems worthwhile to go in if you get more than one x in a short time imo.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
You are crossing an international border. The whole point of Customs and Border Patrol is to make ABSOLUTELY SURE you are worried about getting your bags checked in a secondary screening. Global Entry is NOT AT ALL meant to change that, it's merely meant to make the process of getting you into the country more efficient.

The LAST THING GE is intended to do is create a class of traveler that has no chance of having a secondary screening. That's just an invitation to smuggle stuff.

I've been pulled into secondary once.. for being the first to get to the exit control agent when there was no one in secondary. They asked a few questions, went through everything, found nothing, and I was on my way. It wasn't nerve-wracking at all, because I both knew it was just a random check because we have to have them, it was my turn, and I hadn't done anything wrong.

Random screenings are simply part of border control. Sometimes it will be your turn. There's really no reason to have any anxiety about it at all.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by raehl311
You are crossing an international border. The whole point of Customs and Border Patrol is to make ABSOLUTELY SURE you are worried about getting your bags checked in a secondary screening. Global Entry is NOT AT ALL meant to change that, it's merely meant to make the process of getting you into the country more efficient.
Er, I think you mean Global Entry is meant to make the process of getting you into the country less inefficient.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AsiaFlyer2014
Er, I think you mean Global Entry is meant to make the process of getting you into the country less inefficient.
Honestly 95% of the time getting into the country for me with GE is a breeze, with the exception of United taking FOREVER to deliver bags to bag claim.

5% of the time the GE systems are down for whatever reason and that can be a PITA.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:58 am

There were a lot of people getting the X on Jan 2 at LAX-there was a bug in the system displaying the wrong information for some people on at least two flights (OZ and BA) and people were getting the X on their receipt. In the end the officer just wrote down the flight number on the receipt, stamped it, and sent us on our way.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver/MM, IHG Platinum/RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I've had GE since 2011 but cards were not automatically issued then. I went to the site and wanted to request a Global Entry card. In going through the application process the since "year/month" box for my address is already filled in but highlighted. When I click continue, it brings me back to the same page asking to correct it. Should I place the current year and month? If somebody has gone through this process, I would appreciate the help.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I got an X at YYZ yesterday when the machine said my flight was going to BUR (my final destination) and not DFW (destination of my flight). I accidentally hit the wrong button to correct it and got it. There was no one at booth 1 to clear me, so the guy in booth 2 sent me to secondary. The officer there cleared my super fast.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:08 pm

I got the X again, and a CBP officer mentioned that the cause was indeed a bad fingerprint read. (The kiosk had worked flawlessly last week.) The officer said a couple of tips are to keep the fingers toegether - don't separate them - and apply firm pressure with just your fingertips. (I had been doing more of a resting motion, applying light pressure with the whole finger.)

I know it's difficult to get a good read sometimes after a long flight as your fingers are dry. Have others had success in applying a bit of hand lotion? Other times I think the machines get a ton of use and the fingerprint scanners can get dirty. Any other success tips for a better fingerprint read?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Majuki
I got the X again, and a CBP officer mentioned that the cause was indeed a bad fingerprint read. (The kiosk had worked flawlessly last week.) The officer said a couple of tips are to keep the fingers toegether - don't separate them - and apply firm pressure with just your fingertips. (I had been doing more of a resting motion, applying light pressure with the whole finger.)

I know it's difficult to get a good read sometimes after a long flight as your fingers are dry. Have others had success in applying a bit of hand lotion? Other times I think the machines get a ton of use and the fingerprint scanners can get dirty. Any other success tips for a better fingerprint read?
I used to have the same problem with dry fingers until a CBP officer told me to try rubbing my fingers on my forehead before the scan. Haven't had a problem since.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by wilp888
I used to have the same problem with dry fingers until a CBP officer told me to try rubbing my fingers on my forehead before the scan. Haven't had a problem since.
I will try that next week. Thanks for the tip. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.