Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The dreaded "X" with Global Entry

The dreaded "X" with Global Entry

Old Jan 9, 14, 12:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
The dreaded "X" with Global Entry

I just got approved for global entry and I'd like to know how often you get an X on your slip even if you're not declaring anything. What happens then? Do they send you to secondary inspection? Do they open your bags?
Thanks
mikemoli8 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 14, 9:26 am
  #2  
nrr
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,715
Originally Posted by mikemoli8 View Post
I just got approved for global entry and I'd like to know how often you get an X on your slip even if you're not declaring anything. What happens then? Do they send you to secondary inspection? Do they open your bags?
Thanks
The only time I had an "X", I was escorted to a "special room", after waiting 5 minutes, the agent I spoke with cleared me immediately--he thought the "X" was fingerprint related. A few days later I got an email from GE, asking me to describe the problem I encountered--I got the feeling that my issue was a "glitch", and they want the system to be pleasant for GEer's.

From other posts here on FT, some "X"'s are "random", and most customs related...most pax are cleared rapidly.

PS: Now if they aren't satisfied with the fingerprints they give you another attempt. In the instance where I got "X", it never got as far as asking me to verify my flt. info--it spit out an "X" slip early.
nrr is offline  
Old Jan 11, 14, 1:23 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,263
I had it once due to a bad fingerprint read. The agents were effusively apologetic, and it took them just seconds to fix it. I'm now much more careful to make sure I wipe off the screen and get a good fingerprint read.

The rumor is that NEXUS is more likely to give you a random "selectee" status.
Mats is offline  
Old Jan 11, 14, 4:31 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: At This Point, Only G*d Knows!
Posts: 3,467
Originally Posted by Mats View Post
I had it once due to a bad fingerprint read. The agents were effusively apologetic, and it took them just seconds to fix it. I'm now much more careful to make sure I wipe off the screen and get a good fingerprint read.

The rumor is that NEXUS is more likely to give you a random "selectee" status.
Same here, had a bad fingerprint capture and the Agent could not have been nicer and after a second I was on my way.

Dan
dan1431 is offline  
Old Jan 11, 14, 5:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: NEXUS/GE
Posts: 521
Originally Posted by Mats View Post
The rumor is that NEXUS is more likely to give you a random "selectee" status.
That doesn't make any sense. NEXUS members have to pass background checks and threat assessments conducted by both the US and Canada.
dustman81 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 14, 6:44 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: YYZ
Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Posts: 1,320
Originally Posted by dustman81 View Post
That doesn't make any sense. NEXUS members have to pass background checks and threat assessments conducted by both the US and Canada.
...likely because people with clean records are recruited for that reason and use NEXUS for the wrong reason's. At least that's what random checks seem to have found.
Points Surfer is offline  
Old Jan 15, 14, 8:19 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,785
Never an X, 10+ uses.
drewguy is offline  
Old Jan 16, 14, 5:01 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: IAD
Posts: 38
i've only used GE once, at YYZ, and i got an X. i think the fingerprint scan worked. i was asked to go to a second screening room. there were a few people waiting, but i was seen right away. the officer there looked at the X and asked why i was sent there. i told him i don't know - this was the first time i had used GE.

he asked me a few questions, checked the contents of my bag, complimented how well organized it was (tom bihn brain bag with a brain cell + macbook air, and a hardback book in the one compartment; a packing cube with clothes inside + clear quarter packing cube with toiletries inside in the other compartment), and sent me on my way.
maverickflyer is offline  
Old Jan 16, 14, 5:56 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Posts: 1,287
No "Xs" in 1 re entry from Europe and @ 10-15 re entries from Asia to US.
EZTraveler likes this.
Bear4Asian is offline  
Old Jan 17, 14, 10:19 pm
  #10  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,955
In three years and many entries, even arriving in MIA from HAV, not once.
JDiver is offline  
Old Jan 18, 14, 6:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,532
I don't think that Nexus users are less trustworthy than GE users. I think US/Canadian land border commuters are more likely to have violations because there is more potential for it. Think about the stories we read a few years ago about how a little sliver of a hamburger in someone's car garbage cost them their Nexus card. What about all the maildrops in Blaine and Point Roberts for Vancouver residents? I'll bet that caused problems. I just heard that Canadian Customs has started staking out some cross-border gas stations for people running over to top up their tank.

I'll bet you these situations cause more violations than the folks coming back on international business trips, but these violations are really pretty petty. If you toss those into the pile, you undoubtly have more violators on Nexus. I think you'll also find that more Canadians violate than Americans because prices are higher in Canada. There isn't much incentive to go to Canada, pay 15% HST, in order to avoid paying 6% sales tax.

It would be interesting if Pennsylvania could setup a "customs booth" at the Delaware state line
Dubai Stu is offline  
Old Jan 18, 14, 7:43 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,190
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu View Post
I don't think that Nexus users are less trustworthy than GE users. I think US/Canadian land border commuters are more likely to have violations because there is more potential for it. Think about the stories we read a few years ago about how a little sliver of a hamburger in someone's car garbage cost them their Nexus card. What about all the maildrops in Blaine and Point Roberts for Vancouver residents? I'll bet that caused problems. I just heard that Canadian Customs has started staking out some cross-border gas stations for people running over to top up their tank.

I'll bet you these situations cause more violations than the folks coming back on international business trips, but these violations are really pretty petty. If you toss those into the pile, you undoubtly have more violators on Nexus. I think you'll also find that more Canadians violate than Americans because prices are higher in Canada. There isn't much incentive to go to Canada, pay 15% HST, in order to avoid paying 6% sales tax.

It would be interesting if Pennsylvania could setup a "customs booth" at the Delaware state line
FWIW years ago now, Texas set up "Stake outs" on the line for people coming back from Louisiana with fireworks.

Now, if you cross IH-10 coming from Louisiana the night/morning after Fat Tuesday you see DPS Troopers lined up ready to pull people over.

And of course Cali and some others states have Ag/plant inspections. Nothing like the days of the Grapes of Wrath but still....
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 12:11 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WAS
Programs: UA
Posts: 230
Now, if you cross IH-10 coming from Louisiana the night/morning after Fat Tuesday you see DPS Troopers lined up ready to pull people over.
As a native louisianan, you can tell a real texan by the way you said "IH-10"
DCA1983 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 14, 3:29 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Posts: 3,190
Originally Posted by DCA1983 View Post
As a native louisianan, you can tell a real texan by the way you said "IH-10"
That goes back to old school TX DOT! They gave all highways two letter designators: us highways as US like US-59, FM-1960(Farm to market a type of state road), TX like TX-35 for state highways, CR for county road and thus when interstates came along they made them IH for interstate highway so they could keep the two letter coding. Most people say in day-to-day talk say "I" like I-10 or I-35. I did a short internship with TX DOT many many moons ago and the two letter habbit stuck LOL. Good catch.

Yes the train is off track, back to GE now.
FlyingHoustonian is offline  
Old Jan 25, 14, 1:56 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, LH, MR TIT, IHG GLD
Posts: 7,978
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Never an X, 10+ uses.
+1
NA-Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: