Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
We had this issue with address when we had our interview, we had it at San Ysidro office which is south of San Diego very close to the Mexican border (we were in San Diego at the time and it was the only place with interview slots!). So they weren't used to processing UK applicants, this was a couple of years ago. Anyway we ended up using our hotel address and it was OK in the end.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Thought I'd share my experience applying for GE as a UK Citizen.

Applied for UK Access Code - Dec 7th
Received UK Access Code - Dec 8th
Applied for GE - Dec 8th
Conditionally Approved - Dec 13th
Interview - Dec 14th (IAH Terminal E after security which requires boarding pass)
Approval for GE - Immediate (Officer told me during the interview)
Email confirming GE approval - 10 minutes after I left the interview
Old Dec 15, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Thought I'd share my experience applying for GE as a UK Citizen.

Applied for UK Access Code - Dec 7th
Received UK Access Code - Dec 8th
Applied for GE - Dec 8th
Conditionally Approved - Dec 13th
Interview - Dec 14th (IAH Terminal E after security which requires boarding pass)
Approval for GE - Immediate (Officer told me during the interview)
Email confirming GE approval - 10 minutes after I left the interview
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Does anyone have updated information regarding whether residency in UK is a requirement? I don't know what kind of 'second personal ID document' I can offer since I don't have a driver license.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Does anyone have updated information regarding whether residency in UK is a requirement? I don't know what kind of 'second personal ID document' I can offer since I don't have a driver license.
There's no UK residency requirement. And on the interview invitation I'm told to bring passport + proof of permanent residence (wherever in the world that may be), no mention of second photo ID (I don't have a licence either). My interview is on Friday so I can update then on whether or not that was actually sufficient.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by televisor
There's no UK residency requirement.
I agree. We are not UK residents but are UK citizens. I was approved a few years ago and my wife now has an interview scheduled for early 2016 here in the US.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Thanks. Hmm...okay, just did not want to be grilled when found out about living in a 3rd place other than US/UK. I do have an address in the States too, so with utility bills and stuff it should hopefully suffice.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:53 pm

Thanks. Hmm...okay, just did not want to be grilled when found out about living in a 3rd place other than US/UK. I do have an address in the States too, so with utility bills and stuff it should hopefully suffice.
My advice would be to keep it simple and tell the truth. When they ask for residency information just tell them where you're actually resident and provide evidence to that effect.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:42 am

First time poster so please be gentle.....

I'm based in London and am a UK citizen. On the 2nd of December I applied to the Home Office website for clearance to apply for Global Entry, which came through on 3rd of Dec.

I applied for Global Entry on the GOES site on the morning of the 3rd of Dec and still have not heard word back - several people I know applied days, even a week after me and got approval within days.

I'm the CEO of a public company, pretty high profile and have had US visas in the past, mainly 01 visas.

Is 15 days (as on 17th) normal? Or should I call them up? I happen to be in the USA at the moment, for another week (SFO).

I'm starting to worry - any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BritishGuy

I'm based in London and am a UK citizen. On the 2nd of December I applied to the Home Office website for clearance to apply for Global Entry, which came through on 3rd of Dec.

I applied for Global Entry on the GOES site on the morning of the 3rd of Dec and still have not heard word back - several people I know applied days, even a week after me and got approval within days.

I'm the CEO of a public company, pretty high profile and have had US visas in the past, mainly 01 visas.

Is 15 days (as on 17th) normal? Or should I call them up? I happen to be in the USA at the moment, for another week (SFO).

I'm starting to worry - any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to FT!

With you being in the US, I can see how it can be agitating, since you would like to take advantage of the opportunity to do your interview there. While it was good to know people's experience in terms of timelines, every case is individual, so those numbers did not set my expectations. I would speculate that there are multiple reasons for why you have not been approved yet:
- The usual increase in CBP workload before the festive travel period, since GE also confers PreCheck privileges.
- Additional workload due to UK coming onboard and many Brits wanting to travel to warmer climates of certain parts of US over Christmas and New Year
- You being a high profile individual: someone who travels a handful of times a year and is a Mr Nobody is more likely to rubber stamped through. CBP would probably want to avoid any heat if they were to deny you by mistake.
- Something you put on the form that may have triggered additional checks.

If you feel that it would put your mind at peace to ask them, you can drop by CPB's office at SFO, but I am not sure whether they would have access to your application if it has not been approved yet. My experience dealing with US government processes and paperwork systems is that it will take however long it will take, so you may as well save yourself the stress and just wait patiently for that email to come through (or check the website every few days).
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:09 am

Hello BritishGuy and may I too add my welcome to FlyerTalk.

Have you tried logging into your GOES account and checking the status there? This will at least allow you to confirm that the application in pending if it's not yet moved to conditional approval.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:16 am

Thanks Techie - Maybe you're right. Just that everyone else I know just seems to sail through - weird thing is, I've never in all my years once been detained or stopped at the border - always super quick, same with Visas. The last O1 visa I was on was fast tracked, had it in less time than GOES is taking!

Originally Posted by techie
Welcome to FT!

With you being in the US, I can see how it can be agitating, since you would like to take advantage of the opportunity to do your interview there. While it was good to know people's experience in terms of timelines, every case is individual, so those numbers did not set my expectations. I would speculate that there are multiple reasons for why you have not been approved yet:
- The usual increase in CBP workload before the festive travel period, since GE also confers PreCheck privileges.
- Additional workload due to UK coming onboard and many Brits wanting to travel to warmer climates of certain parts of US over Christmas and New Year
- You being a high profile individual: someone who travels a handful of times a year and is a Mr Nobody is more likely to rubber stamped through. CBP would probably want to avoid any heat if they were to deny you by mistake.
- Something you put on the form that may have triggered additional checks.

If you feel that it would put your mind at peace to ask them, you can drop by CPB's office at SFO, but I am not sure whether they would have access to your application if it has not been approved yet. My experience dealing with US government processes and paperwork systems is that it will take however long it will take, so you may as well save yourself the stress and just wait patiently for that email to come through (or check the website every few days).
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:24 am

Thanks Golfmad!

Yes, I check it several times a day. Just says "Pending Review"....

Although I went in again to the details of the application itself and noticed a - very stupid - mistake I made on the very first part of the form only:

In the very first section "Personal information" I mistakenly put my surname in twice. So if my name were: John Tony Smith - I did:

Last/Paternal Name: Smith
First Name John
Middle Name Smith (I put Smith instead of Tony)

It's correct in all other sections; drivers licence, passport et al except the very first section!

Originally Posted by golfmad
Hello BritishGuy and may I too add my welcome to FlyerTalk.

Have you tried logging into your GOES account and checking the status there? This will at least allow you to confirm that the application in pending if it's not yet moved to conditional approval.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Thanks Techie - Maybe you're right. Just that everyone else I know just seems to sail through - weird thing is, I've never in all my years once been detained or stopped at the border - always super quick, same with Visas. The last O1 visa I was on was fast tracked, had it in less time than GOES is taking!
I feel that comparing yourself to others can only add to growing disappointment and a feeling of "being hard done by" as days pass without you being approved. If you get an opportunity, there is no harm in dropping by SFO and asking, but do go in prepared that they may not be able to answer all the questions that you have. Without having full knowledge of how the process works internally, it is difficult to speculate where your application may have snagged. However, you sound like a low risk individual who never had any problems, so I am sure that it is just a matter of time. Who knows, you may be approved in the next 48 hours and look back and wonder what all that worry was about?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: 1 thousand
It's worth keeping in mind that, assuming you'd want to interview in SFO, there are no appointments available until April - unless you're willing to refresh the page every 10 minutes in the hope of snagging a cancellation (which could get you an interview within 5 days).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.