Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
That's not my experience at all.

Main or South security lines will be 30+ minutes during busy travel periods, and the CLEAR with Pre-Check line at Main security is literally 30 seconds or less every time. It's a massive benefit if you fly more than once a year. Can take you from being so late that you'll just make it to the gate in time to having enough time to spare that you can grab food or pop in to a SkyClub for a drink.
My experience with CLEAR (not just at ATL, but including ATL) is that once in a blue moon, the CLEAR line is longer than the non-CLEAR, somewhat frequently the CLEAR line is approximately equivalent, and sometimes the CLEAR line is substantially shorter. Obviously this depends on the days, times, and airports you find yourself in, but for me I'd say I save significant time with CLEAR maybe 25% of the time. However, that's totally worth it to me. CLEAR is incredibly inexpensive in the context of my overall travel budget, and frankly if it saves me time only 2 or 3 times a year, I'd still do it. The fact that sometimes it doesn't isn't really an indictment. On the rare occasion I find CLEAR more backed up than the normal Pre Check line, I just go through the normal line. No one is forcing us to go through CLEAR every time.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:15 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
JFK T4 was a zoo, CLEAR saved me a lot of time.

This is worth paying $79/year for (which is the rate for Delta cardholders). I wish it could be a bit more automated though, I've never understood why I have to speak to a staff member *before* I scan my fingerprints at the kiosk.

Last edited by Xlr; Jul 24, 2019 at 6:20 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:29 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
CLEAR is a waste of time and money. I once had a free membership through Starwood (pre-bankruptcy, pre-pre-check) and I used the queue at SFO. I ended up getting a more rigorous search than if I had just waited in the regular queue. CLEAR doesn’t seem to have learned any of the lessons from its last bankruptcy, so I expect it to belly up soon.
Nexpoman likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SamOF
Especially at airports with lots of international carriers, you can have pre-check in general but not for a specific flight if your airline doesn't participate. The CLEAR non precheck line at IAD, for example, is decently well-used.
This.

I’ve flown KQ JFK-NBO several times this year. KQ does not participate in pre-check, and JFK T4 security always seem to be a zoo, even if allowed to use the priority line for premium and status passengers. Every time I end up buying a refundable DL ticket for the sole purpose of using the pre-check line (or, last time, arranged my schedule so o could fly BOS-JFK on DL in order to connect to my KQ flight). I wouldn’t need to do this if I had Clear.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
My experience with CLEAR (not just at ATL, but including ATL) is that once in a blue moon, the CLEAR line is longer than the non-CLEAR, somewhat frequently the CLEAR line is approximately equivalent, and sometimes the CLEAR line is substantially shorter. Obviously this depends on the days, times, and airports you find yourself in, but for me I'd say I save significant time with CLEAR maybe 25% of the time. However, that's totally worth it to me. CLEAR is incredibly inexpensive in the context of my overall travel budget, and frankly if it saves me time only 2 or 3 times a year, I'd still do it. The fact that sometimes it doesn't isn't really an indictment. On the rare occasion I find CLEAR more backed up than the normal Pre Check line, I just go through the normal line. No one is forcing us to go through CLEAR every time.
Do you mean the standard CLEAR line (for example, the one at South security)? If so, I agree, that line is often no faster (and occasionally slower) than the Sky Priority/Premium line adjacent to it, and it's probably slower than the Pre-Check line at the Main checkpoint. But the CLEAR + Pre-Check line at the Main security checkpoint is always significantly faster/shorter than the Pre-Check line adjacent to it. This is all at ATL, which is my home airport.

I fly out of ATL maybe 12-15 times a year, so just on the outbound leg alone, it is totally worth the cost. My expectation of CLEAR+ Pre-Check being a benefit at non-ATL stations is zero, so when it actually works outside of ATL, it's a pleasant surprise.

Originally Posted by uxb
CLEAR is a waste of time and money. I once had a free membership through Starwood (pre-bankruptcy, pre-pre-check) and I used the queue at SFO. I ended up getting a more rigorous search than if I had just waited in the regular queue. CLEAR doesn’t seem to have learned any of the lessons from its last bankruptcy, so I expect it to belly up soon.
Let me get this straight, you had a single negative experience many years ago, so the service is a waste and is likely to go out of business? Talk about anecdotal evidence.

For $79/yr, it consistently saves me 20-30 minutes at ATL (flying 12-15 times per year) and occasionally a bit of time at other airports. Dunno how you value your time, but $79 to save 4-7.5 hours is 100% worth it to me.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
CLEAR is well worthwhile if you frequent MCO (my alternate home airport). I’ve also had it save me a significant amount of time in ATL, AUS, DEN, DTW, SLC and SFO to name a few.
Boraxo and cmx like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Hilton Diamond
Clear has been exceptionally good at SEA, SFO, SJC, LAS, and LAX from my last 50+ trips through these airports. I'm looking forward to seeing this at more places, especially EWR and JFK. I'm getting a discount rate, but it would be worth the $150+ normal rate from my experiences.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by dangerclose
Clear has been exceptionally good at SEA, SFO, SJC, LAS, and LAX from my last 50+ trips through these airports. I'm looking forward to seeing this at more places, especially EWR and JFK. I'm getting a discount rate, but it would be worth the $150+ normal rate from my experiences.
It seems CLEAR (sorry, couldn't resist) that some of us love it and some of us think it's not worth the money. Nothing wrong with that -- doesn't make either of us right or wrong. I use SFO, SJC, and BWI constantly, and it has saved me hours and hours, not to mention lowered my blood pressure. I hope the posters who have had one or two poor experiences with CLEAR drop their membership, making the process even slightly faster for the rest of us who love it!
Boraxo, kennycrudup, Zorak and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
United Airlines buys stake in biometric screening firm Clear

United Airlines and the security identity firm Clear have struck a deal that will expand the number of biometric screening kiosks in airports around the U.S. The partnership, which includes United buying a stake in Clear, is the latest example of an airline using biometric screening to move travelers through airports more quickly and with less hassle.

The agreement calls for Clear biometric screening kiosks to be added at the airline’s hub airports Chicago O’Hare, Houston International and Newark Liberty. Clear is already available at United’s other U.S. hub airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington and Denver.

For United’s MileagePlus frequent-flyer members, Clear memberships will be offered for free or at discounted prices. Those MileagePlus members at the highest award levels will receive a complimentary Clear service every year. For other MileagePlus members, the $179 annual cost of Clear will be reduced to as low as $109 per year.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have modified the Wiki to reflect the new discounted pricing for United Mileage Plus members. Supposedly any United members who bought Clear in the past 60 days can get a credit for the difference with the new pricing.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have modified the Wiki to reflect the new discounted pricing for United Mileage Plus members. Supposedly any United members who bought Clear in the past 60 days can get a credit for the difference with the new pricing.
Thank you and you are correct:
I’m an existing CLEAR member with an annual subscription, can I take advantage of the United preferred pricing for CLEAR?

If your CLEAR account was created or renewed less than 60 days ago, you’ll receive a refund for the difference of what you paid. Refunds normally take 3-5 business days after you add your United MileagePlus number to your CLEAR account.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
I bought CLEAR based on one positive review from a friend. So far, only the guy who signed me up showed any kind of customer service. The girl who was standing by the machine could barely be bothered to stop talking to her friends to assist me with my first time using the machine. The next time I tried to use it, at an early LAX flight, neither of the two machines worked (the guy next to me couldn't get his to work either and no one was in sight). My next flight is a vacation and It's not worth paying for my spouse as I do most of the flying for business. Based on my personal experience, I would say if anyone asked me if its worth it, with LAX as a base, I'd say not at this time.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I didn’t go with CLEAR the first time around as it was only in a couple of the flughaffens that I went through. This time around it’s in a few more flughaffens, still only a few of the ones I frequent. But with United picking up the entry fee I’ll give it a go. My +1 also enrolled (free as 1K).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I have registered with CLEAR for the first time and need to do the in-person verification step.
Is this just done at the CLEAR line or is there an office like GE?
How long does it take? I plan to do it prior to an upcoming flight and want to know how much earlier I need to show up.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by eng3
I have registered with CLEAR for the first time and need to do the in-person verification step.
Is this just done at the CLEAR line or is there an office like GE?
How long does it take? I plan to do it prior to an upcoming flight and want to know how much earlier I need to show up.
You can do it right there. It doesn't take long, budget a couple extra minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.