Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Clear at DFW

I'm fed up with the long TSA pre lines and am looking for another source to enter the airport(s) I travel through. DFW is my origination airport and looking at Clear. I see they are only at E terminal. You'd think they would put it at A and D but whatever. Is Clear a good deal?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:54 am

I got clear through my United 1k status, so it was free, but it's clunky, the kiosks don't work very well although the lines are very short.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm fed up with the long TSA pre lines and am looking for another source to enter the airport(s) I travel through. DFW is my origination airport and looking at Clear. I see they are only at E terminal. You'd think they would put it at A and D but whatever. Is Clear a good deal?
I got it free for a few months through Hertz, and used it for the first time yesterday at CVG. Painless and efficient.

I don't see the issue of using E. There are a handful of AA flights there to begin with, and going between terminals is pretty painless unless the trains are only going one way.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
I got it free for a few months through Hertz, and used it for the first time yesterday at CVG. Painless and efficient.

I don't see the issue of using E. There are a handful of AA flights there to begin with, and going between terminals is pretty painless unless the trains are only going one way.
I will check my EXP benefits to see if there is any promotion otherwise it's $179/year (just checked). The TSA Pre line at D last week Friday was probably 1000+ plus people long and went all the way down the terminal. Countless of people in the tsa pre line told me they got it for free and don't know why they have it.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
I will check my EXP benefits to see if there is any promotion otherwise it's $179/year (just checked). The TSA Pre line at D last week Friday was probably 1000+ plus people long and went all the way down the terminal. Countless of people in the tsa pre line told me they got it for free and don't know why they have it.
If you just become a Delta SkyMiles member (don't need to take any flights, you can get a discount: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...miles-members/
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Not sure what the beef is, but AA will not allow CLEAR at any terminal they control. I had CLEAR and they were at my home airport of ALB before they shut down operations in the post-mortgage-crisis travel drought. I was able to reactivate my unused subscription (21 months) on the revamped CLEAR organization a few months ago. If you had CLEAR before, log in to CLEAR using your email associated with it to see if you have any membership left. They are still not at ALB, but I did get to use it at MCO in November. I have family near PHL and would like to use it there, but AA dominance there is likely to keep CLEAR away. Anyone know to what the AA/CLEAR contention relates?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Clear has a strong partnership with Delta so AA is not interested. To avoid the TSA Pre lines, download the DFW app. It gives you real time info on the lines (both pre and regular) in all the terminals so you can just park at a different terminal and take the skylink after security.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
the [CLEAR] kiosks don't work very well
Eh? How are you authenticating, eyes or fingers? I use the ones @SJC about 50 times/year via fingerprint and have never had a problem with any of their machines (nor at the 3-4 other airports in a year that may have CLEAR).
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
How will CLEAR flyers be affected by Real ID?

Unless randomly selected, CLEAR pax do NOT show ID (nor directly interact with TSA PC agents).[When I signed up for CLEAR I used my "normal" NYS DL.]
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:40 am

Is it just me, or..,

Are TSA officers actively shunning Clear members when doing flow control at the checkpoint?

JFK this morning and the officer basically gave the Clear reps the cold shoulder and despite a shorter Clear line than Pre, it took almost twice as long (had a few people pinned in normal line who opted for that vs. Clear).

<redacted by moderator>.

Between this, the “one bag per bin” lane that slows everything down, and JFK’s policy of separating laptops and iPads (it’s 2020...), flying through JFK is a mess using Clear, PreCheck or anything frankly.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 24, 2020 at 9:10 am Reason: Commentary better left for the Policy Debate forum
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Unless randomly selected, CLEAR pax do NOT show ID (nor directly interact with TSA PC agents).[When I signed up for CLEAR I used my "normal" NYS DL.]
Clear sent out an email on the topic last month.

"Before the October 1, 2020 deadline, CLEAR will also need your REAL ID-compliant license or passport on your CLEAR profile. Stay tuned for more updates and instructions!"
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:08 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Clear sent out an email on the topic last month.

"Before the October 1, 2020 deadline, CLEAR will also need your REAL ID-compliant license or passport on your CLEAR profile. Stay tuned for more updates and instructions!"
I missed seeing their email which was dated 1/31/20.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: DL
I messaged with them a week or so ago. Will need to show them REAL ID compliant identification and once account is updated, back to business as usual.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:31 am

What is the value in Clear

I'm having trouble seeing the value in clear. Actually, I'm thinking it is a waste of money. Here is my experience. You have PC already. Now you pay for clear. Clear only seems to add more time. Wait turn at kiosk, Clear attendant verifies your boarding pass, you go through process and wait for bio scan, you then scan your boarding pass, next you wait in line for the TSA agent (same one you would have gone to for PC), TSA verifies your boarding pass, you then go to the very same xray process. Oh, and about 25% of the time you get selected for additional screening and you go to the normal TSA agent for the normal PC process. All of this while the non-clear people in PC pass you buy. So what is the value? Is this a scam? Finally, I have noticed lately that the TSA agents are call up the PC people and making the clear people wait. A little snarky competition maybe??? Don't waste your money. PC is faster. Adding clear is just adding time. Unless you like to waste your money.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by 18steve11
I'm having trouble seeing the value in clear.
This has been discussed a lot previously in this 59-page thread

CLEAR has value if the airports you originate from, tend to have long Precheck lines at the time you travel. Otherwise it really doesn't help much, as you observed.

Although not everyone has Precheck, so...
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.