Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I registered with CLEAR for the first time as well and need to do the in-person verification step. Can I just show up to the airport and complete that step or do I need to be travelling out that day to do it?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by eng3
I have registered with CLEAR for the first time and need to do the in-person verification step.
Is this just done at the CLEAR line or is there an office like GE?
How long does it take? I plan to do it prior to an upcoming flight and want to know how much earlier I need to show up.
Originally Posted by Zorak
You can do it right there. It doesn't take long, budget a couple extra minutes.
Sometimes there are kiosks--located close to the security lines--dedicated for registering new customers. Depends on the airport, I suppose.

Originally Posted by DCP2016
I registered with CLEAR for the first time as well and need to do the in-person verification step. Can I just show up to the airport and complete that step or do I need to be travelling out that day to do it?
Just show up. Boarding pass not necessary.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Sometimes there are kiosks--located close to the security lines--dedicated for registering new customers. Depends on the airport, I suppose.
For those with access, I believe some Sky Clubs also have attended kiosks (separately from the little pad that you can use to gain access if you already have CLEAR)
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I had an interesting experience at SFO international G this morning.

They were registering a family (or trying, it looked like there were issues), so I had a bit of a wait. Probably longer than if I'd just avoided CLEAR altogether.

Finally I get up, and it rejects my right fingers. That happens sometimes, so I tried again. Same thing. No member found.

I tried the iris scan - no member found. I tried it again. I tried my left fingers. I tried my thumbs. I tried a different machine. Nothing.

The attendant asked for my identification, and went to look me up to try to find the problem. She couldn't log in. It wouldn't recognize her fingers either.

I ended up wasting 5 minutes on this when the Precheck line had at most 3 people in it when I arrived.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was able to stop by a clear enrollment area upon arrival at SEA today. Unfortunately, I had just gotten off a very cold flight and just washed my hands so the fingerprints were of poor quality. I tried several times and noticed some fingers showed up "red". The clear person commented that it was because my fingers were cold. She did say something like "you'll be able to use X thumb and your Y hand" but I don't recall which ones she pointed to. I was a little surprised how hard I had to press on the reader (vs global entry)

I guess I'll find out if this becomes an issue when I go use clear for the first time. I assume that if I start having issues every time, they can just rescan my prints
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards
Is it possible to finish the last part of CLEAR a few hours before your flight? Since there is no appointment I'd think yes but felt it was better to ask in case someone here has done this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Ashelia
Is it possible to finish the last part of CLEAR a few hours before your flight? Since there is no appointment I'd think yes but felt it was better to ask in case someone here has done this.
Yes. Scroll up a few posts
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Ashelia
Is it possible to finish the last part of CLEAR a few hours before your flight?
Yes, even a few minutes before (which is how I did it). Just give yourself an extra 20 mins, and you can use it right away.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards
Ah okay thank you both!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
I guess I'll find out if this becomes an issue when I go use clear for the first time. I assume that if I start having issues every time, they can just rescan my prints
My fingerprints aren't the greatest, and when they don't scan for CLEAR, the retinal scan is a quick and effective backup.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by smithrh
My fingerprints aren't the greatest, and when they don't scan for CLEAR, the retinal scan is a quick and effective backup.
Interesting. For me, fingerprints are 100%, retinal scan 0%.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
CLEAR sustainable?

Sorry if the post doesn’t belong here.

Everytime I walked pass airport security this question would inevitably came up in my head. How can CLEAR business model be profitable and sustainable?
Most of their installation I see 3-4 staffers serving maybe 2 passengers at the most at any given time. And I’m talking busy airport like IAH LAX. More than half the time these checker shirts just chit chatting among themselves. Once in a while they might sign up a new customer but that’s only $150/year of revenue.
Is that really enough to keep the company afloat?

as a potential customer, I also don’t see any additional benefit from pre check. On average I go thru airport security twice a week. Every time I’ll time myself against a clear passenger, if there’s one. I admit, most of the time they’ll clear ahead of me, but honestly no more than 1-2 people. That’s translate to roughly 2-3 minutes of saving. It’s really trivial.

Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greasy
Sorry if the post doesn’t belong here.

Everytime I walked pass airport security this question would inevitably came up in my head. How can CLEAR business model be profitable and sustainable?
Most of their installation I see 3-4 staffers serving maybe 2 passengers at the most at any given time. And I’m talking busy airport like IAH LAX. More than half the time these checker shirts just chit chatting among themselves. Once in a while they might sign up a new customer but that’s only $150/year of revenue.
Is that really enough to keep the company afloat?

as a potential customer, I also don’t see any additional benefit from pre check. On average I go thru airport security twice a week. Every time I’ll time myself against a clear passenger, if there’s one. I admit, most of the time they’ll clear ahead of me, but honestly no more than 1-2 people. That’s translate to roughly 2-3 minutes of saving. It’s really trivial.

Well what is the point of having CLEAR if you can have TSA Pre?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Well what is the point of having CLEAR if you can have TSA Pre?
Depends on your airport, perhaps. I have both. Pre lines can go to the escalators at SJC, can get held up by the "dog show" as you have to mix with GP first, and have to wait for the TDC. I cut into the X-Ray line after verification and the CLEAR agent handles taking my phone to the TDC.

I'll continue to use CLEAR as long as I fly out of SJC. It's not uncommon to spend more time walking from curbside to the CLEAR kiosk than it does from the kiosk thru security.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation

CLEAR is discussed in the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers forum:
The Travel Technology forum moderator has been alerted.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.