Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Ah, indeed. Good points all around.

I only have experience with the DL terminal there but there DTW is somewhat rare in having a dedicated CLEAR+Precheck line (in most other cases there is a single CLEAR line and they take you to either Pre or non-Pre after the biometrics) -- however in the DL terminal at least, DTW also has a CLEAR/non-Precheck line on the other side of the setup.

So to riff off of BigFlyer's advice, the simplest thing might be just to show up and explain the situation to the CLEAR agent and see what they suggest (and assuming there is a similar CLEAR-without-Pre line in the North terminal they would be able to direct you to it if appropriate)
Atlanta has the two different CLEAR lines and it’s awful. The non pre check clear line is not in a good location and constantly backs up. They evidently are considering moving it to the north security checkpoint sometime this year. I think I was in the line at DTW too and it’s a much better setup than Atlanta. In LaGuardia for example, at least in terminal D having CLEAR can be a massive advantage after 730pm because they close the pre check line but the CLEAR line still works. If you have pre check but no CLEAR the security line can get ugly. Particularly Thursday and Friday nights after 730
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Someone should update the WIKI - Current Promotions section.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cajunguy
Someone should update the WIKI - Current Promotions section.
Done, but for future reference anyone with 90+ days on FT and 90+ posts can do so.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CLEAR Sports (for sports facilities only, no airport access) is free, and regular CLEAR should work at any sports facilities with CLEAR. (You need to know which entrance/door has the CLEAR setup, where you should also be able to sign up at least for the sports version.) Soon you can use CLEAR also to purchase drinks (I presume this means that your age is tied to your fingerprint) at sports facilities.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
CLEAR Sports (for sports facilities only, no airport access) is free, and regular CLEAR should work at any sports facilities with CLEAR. (You need to know which entrance/door has the CLEAR setup, where you should also be able to sign up at least for the sports version.) Soon you can use CLEAR also to purchase drinks (I presume this means that your age is tied to your fingerprint) at sports facilities.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30832400-post737.html
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by Zorak
Done, but for future reference anyone with 90+ days on FT and 90+ posts can do so.
Thanks....but I don't know about any promotions at this time.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
I'd like to sign up for Clear at LAX a couple of weeks before my next flight as I'll be in the area. I have a choice of terminals 1-7 and can have someone drop me off and pick me up. Any thoughts on which terminal would be the easiest at opening (4pm on a Sunday)?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:56 pm

As a quick data point (hopefully an outlier):

While there were two Clear kiosks up and running in the part of MSP I was in, one was flakey - it was both slow and giving out error messages similar to "No subscriber found."

This caused a minor backup; I was directed to use the machine in question and also got a similar error message, but it did ultimately work. The person in front of me had to use the other machine to get passed.

Never run into this before; had the staff simply directed everyone to the normally operating kiosk, there would have been minimal delay (or none at all).
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:16 pm

CLEAR is Hiking Annual Membership Prices for New Delta SkyMiles Members

• All Delta SkyMiles Members: $119 per year – was $99
  • Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Holders: $109 per year – was $79
  • Delta Platinum, Gold, and Silver Medallion Members: $109 per year – was $79
  • Delta Diamond Medallion Members: Free – was free
Critically, these new prices will only hit new CLEAR registrations. If you signed up and paid for your membership prior to April 5, 2019, your membership will renew at the older, cheaper rate.

Let’s say you signed up for CLEAR last year when you held Silver Medallion status with Delta, and paid $79. You’ll continue paying $79 each year so long as you hold status with the airline. If you lose status, your next membership renewal will cost $99 – the fee for all SkyMiles members under the old pricing structure.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
Didn't see this until now. Missing that increase is enough to make me pass.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:05 am

If you live in ATL. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

This is morning I get there and the clear pre-check line has overflowed across the hallway. I tell the nice person “please tell your superiors that this is why I am not renewing”. One man in line laughs at me and says “it’s still the fastest method”. I didn’t respond. (note. I was very nice to Clear employee, it’s not her fault).

I then walk to the regular precheck line and get in. About 5 minutes later I am through. The guy who told me it was faster.. when I was giving my ID to the TSA agent he was just about to the Clear validation kiosks. No telling how long I would have waited just to get to the kiosk but based on what I saw at least 15 minutes

sadly this happens often here.

No I won’t renew. Pay more to wait longer? You fooled me once
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:34 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
CLEAR cutting in front of TSA Pre - why?

Why CLEAR customers are allowed to cut in front of the whole line of TSA Pre?
They are paying for a proprietary technology to ID them. Why they are allowed in front of you and me sheepishly standing in the TSA Pre ID line which is the same line to TSA baggage screening line.
What is the legal basis for their cutting the TSA Pre screening line?
If they want to pay for the salary of a separate TSA screener and separate screening equipment - maybe the airport for which I pay with my federal and local and travel taxes can sell them sparte area for screening - but it must be without decreeing the services I pay for or increasing my wait line.
Soon you can expect all the insurance industry agents today hogging all first class upgrades out of Poenix but tomorrow they all will be cutting in front of you using Clear while you wait in TSA Pre line and you will pay increased insurance rates so they can enjoy the Clear cut.
This is as unamerican as it gets. In other parts of the world they can have their paid for princes and counts - but not here.
What do you think about Clear and similar cut-the-line at my expense offers?
If the Clear person goes to the end of the TSA Pre line - I have no problems - they can be waved through by TSA agent when they reach that gate.
The problems is that the line to the TSA ID screener is the line to TSA baggage screening.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:41 pm

If I understand correctly, you argue CLEAR is meant for ID simplification, not line cutting.

My response is the ID simplification is certainly one benefit, but it is not the primary benefit. The primary benefit is to reduce waiting time. This can only be accomplished by cutting the line.

If the only benefit of CLEAR were that you don't have to take out your boarding pass and ID -- if you were still obligated to wait -- then CLEAR would be 99% pointless.

Disclaimer: I don't have CLEAR. My primary airports are SFO and EWR. SFO lines are short and EWR has no CLEAR lanes.
mendezka likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m44
What is the legal basis for their cutting the TSA Pre screening line?
I will unquote the rest of your "but-that's-not-fair" tirade and answer the question that can be answered:

TSA only legally controls (by space-sharing agreement/pseudo-lease) the screening area which is defined as the area that TSA uses for TSA operations. The lines leading up to the TSA ID checker are not part of the TSA screening area. That means that whoever controls the airport lobby (the airport authority, airport management concession, airline, etc) controls the lines leading up to the TSA ID checker. If that managing body decides to contract with CLEAR, CLEAR machines are installed in the area near the TSA ID checker (but not in TSA's space) such that passenger's can use a CLEAR machine and then walk past the TSA ID checker because the ID is already checked by CLEAR. TSA is not controlling the line or letting anyone skip in line; TSA is just taking the passengers as they come. If CLEAR passengers don't have anyone in front of them, there is no reason for them to wait in line twice, once for CLEAR and once for the TSA ID check which they don't need anyway-- CLEAR passengers just use CLEAR instead of the TSA ID checker and then merge with the line at the x-ray line. It isn't skipping the line. It is using the proper queue.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The answer to "why" is "because"

CLEAR holders have paid (or have had paid by a third party) a fee which lets them jump the line. It's that simple/

The ID verification gimmick was never a big deal, is less of one now, and won't amount to anything in the next generation of TSA license scanners. The fee gets you to the head of the line. The fact that you don't have to pull out your DL is a side show.
Boraxo, kennycrudup and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.