Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:44 am

I know this has been said multiple times upthread, but the random additional ID checks are getting old fast. A large part of the value for this service is the ability to put away everything before reaching the checkpoints so that one can just walk right through.
Starman and dval44 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
I know this has been said multiple times upthread, but the random additional ID checks are getting old fast. A large part of the value for this service is the ability to put away everything before reaching the checkpoints so that one can just walk right through.
I wonder if after one of these checks, a notation is made somewhere that inhibits future requests, so it's a one-time annoyance only? My wife and I have each been hit once (separately) but never again. Are there FT'ers that have already been hit multiple times?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Starman
Are there FT'ers that have already been hit multiple times?
Yes, this has happened to be multiple times at SJC with a full ID check plus mobile boarding pass scan. At a bare minimum, the CLEAR representative absconds with my phone to flash the screen to the TDC while I'm standing at a far enough distance to make the cursory mobile boarding pass check useless.

Other FTers criticized me earlier on this thread, questioning whether or not it really takes much time to get out my ID and show the phone. While it doesn't, I also prefer to have everything packed away before reaching the security checkpoint. CLEAR still has the advantage at airports where the TDC backs up - Denver comes to mind, but I've never waited more than a minute for the TDC in the Precheck line at SJC.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki

Other FTers criticized me earlier on this thread, questioning whether or not it really takes much time to get out my ID and show the phone. While it doesn't, I also prefer to have everything packed away before reaching the security checkpoint.
I'm in complete agreement with you on this one. Although perhaps it seems maniacal, when I'm on the road every week I need to have a strict routine, and I also want everything packed away before approaching the kiosk.

SJC is my home field so it looks like I've just been lucky with only one such experience thus far.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:22 am

Yes, I've had to show ID multiple times as well. I also agree with Majuki and Starman- having a routine and keeping things organized and stored away in "their places" is important to some of us.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:51 pm

Is Clear expanding/adding new locations?

I've put off enrolling because the number of locations didn't provide enough value, but (for the folks using it) is the number of locations trending up?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:40 am

CLEAR arrives at JFK Terminal 4
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Three free months. Use code TG183CFA142

Must redeem by 11/30. I think it is valid for five new accounts.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:36 am

What is CLEAR?

I have been reading about "CLEAR" in regards to Global Security/TSA--please explain what CLEAR is--thank you!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by alpenrose
I have been reading about "CLEAR" in regards to Global Security/TSA--please explain what CLEAR is--thank you!
Hello @alpenrose,

I merged your question into the encyclopaedic CLEAR thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:51 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
What has been people's experience with CLEAR at JFK?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Data point: I signed up for Clear for the first time a few weeks ago at LAX with a 30 day free trial. As I already have Pre-Check (and haven't experienced issues with it here @ SFO), I decided to cancel the membership before being billed next week. There were a few options to click for reasons of cancellation, I clicked already a Pre-Check member and a pop-up offer of $99 instead of the $179 appeared, which I decided to accept. Confirmation email was received a couple of minutes later and it confirms that this will be my new annual renewal rate as well.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Data point: I signed up for Clear for the first time a few weeks ago at LAX with a 30 day free trial. As I already have Pre-Check (and haven't experienced issues with it here @ SFO), I decided to cancel the membership before being billed next week. There were a few options to click for reasons of cancellation, I clicked already a Pre-Check member and a pop-up offer of $99 instead of the $179 appeared, which I decided to accept. Confirmation email was received a couple of minutes later and it confirms that this will be my new annual renewal rate as well.
Reminder to everyone that FT thread wikis occasionally contain useful info The discounted $99 rate is available to anyone who joins Delta Skymiles (no status required, even general members)

https://www.clearme.com/partner/delta
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Zorak
Reminder to everyone that FT thread wikis occasionally contain useful info The discounted $99 rate is available to anyone who joins Delta Skymiles (no status required, even general members)

https://www.clearme.com/partner/delta
Absolutely, well aware. Just wanted to add a data point that you don't even need to be a DL Skymiles member (regardless of status), which I'm not, to avail yourself of the $99 rate.
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Xlr
What has been people's experience with CLEAR at JFK?
Used it at T4 last week. And even though we were traveling in SQ suites to FRA and we're going to be jammed through security by SQ check-in agent, he was doubly glad we were Clear and Precheck members as-- in some way I still don't fully get-- enabled him to jam us through even more violently . (He opened a closed security point for us, etc., etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.