Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sunrise089
I will quibble about a few things though. The POTENTIAL privacy issue is pretty clear (no pun intended) to me. My boarding pass has my name as well as my destination printed on it. That combo can suggest certain things about me, and at a minimum it tells strangers (and while I’m no great fan of the TSA I trust their agents slightly more than Clear’s) that I’m not home. Color me old fashioned but I don’t share that info with strangers without at least some sort of reason being provided. I take your point about lounge access, but I don’t use airport lounges. So for me the Clear agent is often the only person looking at my boarding pass. Everyone other touchpoint (Clear kiosk, PreCheck lane, and boarding gate) simply has me scan my pass electronically.
A lot of the time when flying DL or UA, you don't even have to scan your boarding pass; when you scan your fingerprints or your eyes, your trip info pops up on the screen for anyone within visual range to see anyway. (I forget if this happens in the case where you have to manually scan your BP.)

In some cases based on airport layout (e.g. I have witnessed this at JFK T4 CLEAR+Pre line) if the agents aren't diligent about clearing it right away (and they aren't) the pax details remain on the screen for everyone waiting in line to see for several minutes or more.
SPN Lifer, Majuki and TWA884 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 4:06 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Zorak
A lot of the time when flying DL or UA, you don't even have to scan your boarding pass; when you scan your fingerprints or your eyes, your trip info pops up on the screen for anyone within visual range to see anyway. (I forget if this happens in the case where you have to manually scan your BP.)
Can now confirm that in the bolded case, your face, full name, and flight info pops up on the kiosk screen, so if this is a concern for you, you'll probably want to stop using CLEAR altogether, at least until they roll out the "lane of the future" and see if that's any different.
Majuki likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Today was my first time using CLEAR since I did the enhanced process last week when I flew to FCO. As I entered the line at MCI, an employee scanned my BP and the directed me to the kiosk. I then had to scan my BP again, though no “random” ID check this time. First time I can recall a CLEAR employee scanning the BP with a handheld prior to entering the line.
Majuki likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I’ve had Clear for years and used them weekly pre-pandemic, and are now using them more frequently again. In addition to much larger lines than they had in the past, I’m continuously butting up against agents who insist on seeing my boarding pass before they let me scan (or even access the lane).
I'm always in awe just how many people reach the front of the regular Pre-Check line (and CLEAR Pre-Check line) who do not have Pre-Check on their boarding passes. This is even after they have passed multiple people shouting that this line is for Pre-Check only.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'm always in awe just how many people reach the front of the regular Pre-Check line (and CLEAR Pre-Check line) who do not have Pre-Check on their boarding passes. This is even after they have passed multiple people shouting that this line is for Pre-Check only.
And then after passing the TSA document checker, I'm often in awe at how many people have precheck, but don't know how it works and aren't good at following directions either.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I have a family member (my SO) on my Clear account. Does the family member need to have their own account to sign up for the NextGen Identity+? What's the phone number about?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:43 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by naumank
I have a family member (my SO) on my Clear account. Does the family member need to have their own account to sign up for the NextGen Identity+? What's the phone number about?
From the ​​​CLEAR NextGen Identity+ FAQ:

I have family members on my account. Do we all need to upgrade?
  • Yes, each family member will receive a separate email to begin their upgrade.

I share a mobile phone with another CLEAR Member. What do I do?
  • In order to upgrade to NextGen Identity+, all Members must enter a personal mobile number associated with their name.

Why do I have to give my phone number? What will CLEAR use it for?
  • CLEAR will send you a one time password an extra layer of verification that enhances security.

What if I don't have a mobile phone number?
  • In order to upgrade to NextGen Identity+, all Members must enter a personal mobile number associated with their name. In the future, Members without a mobile number will be able to enroll and/or upgrade with a U.S. Passport.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I appreciate your reply, and as I tried to note I’m certainly not ruling out just getting over my principle here. I’m not trying to present this as a black and white issue where I’m clearly in the right and Clear is being inherently unreasonable.

I will quibble about a few things though. The POTENTIAL privacy issue is pretty clear (no pun intended) to me. My boarding pass has my name as well as my destination printed on it. That combo can suggest certain things about me, and at a minimum it tells strangers (and while I’m no great fan of the TSA I trust their agents slightly more than Clear’s) that I’m not home. Color me old fashioned but I don’t share that info with strangers without at least some sort of reason being provided. I take your point about lounge access, but I don’t use airport lounges. So for me the Clear agent is often the only person looking at my boarding pass. Everyone other touchpoint (Clear kiosk, PreCheck lane, and boarding gate) simply has me scan my pass electronically.

Again, I’m not claiming there’s some enormous degree of risk here since I’m just a regular guy. But the risk is still directionally increased, and so that makes me wonder if in fact the Clear agents ARE doing their job asking for the pass, or if they’re just trying to economize on time by going off script. FWIW I flew home today and used the empty PreCheck line, but the Clear staffer in the adjacent lane did NOT ask the flyer behind me for a boarding pass, she just led them to the kiosk. So I have some data points that boarding passes have to be shown and other data that suggests they don’t. Ideally I was hoping to find someone who had experience enough to make a definitive statement one way or the other since the agents I’ve asked haven’t offered any explanation.
At least on paper boarding passes, TSA seems to make Clear put those little checkmarks or highlights next to the data to "prove" that they checked it (name, date, etc.) [even though the kiosk is doing that]. It seems they have had the person at the beginning of the line doing that to save time while the next guest is waiting for a kiosk to become available.

That said, it's all up to your comfort level whether to keep or cancel Clear, but given that those boarding pass checkers are looking at hundreds of boarding passes a day, it's hard to imagine that they care about your name and destination. Certainly they don't know whether you're on a day trip or when you're returning.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I did the upgrade today at SJC Terminal A, but, surprisingly, I didn't get any ID scanned. I just got a picture taken. The CLEAR rep asked if I wanted to upgrade today and said that the NextGen+ lane would roll out in February.

I had to wait for a CLEAR rep even though there was no line whatsoever for the TDC in either the Precheck or regular lanes.

Of course, I got the random ID check. I did notice that the screen on the kiosks has changed.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 10:56 am
jmw

I read an article talking this morning about a trial of TSA Pre self screening gates at Harry Reid in March. If this is widespread, I don't need Clear/Pre combo anymore.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:06 am

Do we know when the gradual rollout is supposed to finish? I still haven't gotten my pre-registration email (neither has my wife)
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jmw
I read an article talking this morning about a trial of TSA Pre self screening gates at Harry Reid in March. If this is widespread, I don't need Clear/Pre combo anymore.
Please continue the discussion of self screening gates in the following thread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Rejoin promo

I let my Clear lapse.
​​​​​I pay for it using Amex Plat so I get the 189 reimbursement but just didn't feel the need to renew a few months ago.
Now I log in and it says rejoin and get 3 months free.

For those Clear experts does this mean:
A. The 189 gets charged now and I get a 15month term? Or
B. I get 3 months free and they charge the 189 three months from now?

Im thinking it's prob "A" and that would be ideal for me the get the calendar year 2023 reimbursement from Amex but definitely less useful if it is "B".

I have emailed member services but as folks can understand I kind of trust this FT community to give me the most accurate answer since they will most likely confuse this rejoin offer with the free trials.

Thanks in advance for experiences.
​​​​​

​​​​​
​​

​​​​​
Old Dec 21, 2023, 8:52 pm

What does the fine print on your offer page say? From Googling around, all the other similar trials I saw are for a free trial period, auto-renews at $189/year at the end of the trial, i.e. what you called option B.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by mrkymark
I let my Clear lapse.
​​​​​I pay for it using Amex Plat so I get the 189 reimbursement but just didn't feel the need to renew a few months ago.
Now I log in and it says rejoin and get 3 months free.

For those Clear experts does this mean:
A. The 189 gets charged now and I get a 15month term? Or
B. I get 3 months free and they charge the 189 three months from now?

Im thinking it's prob "A" and that would be ideal for me the get the calendar year 2023 reimbursement from Amex but definitely less useful if it is "B".

I have emailed member services but as folks can understand I kind of trust this FT community to give me the most accurate answer since they will most likely confuse this rejoin offer with the free trials.

Thanks in advance for experiences.
​​​
​​​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Zorak
What does the fine print on your offer page say? From Googling around, all the other similar trials I saw are for a free trial period, auto-renews at $189/year at the end of the trial, i.e. what you called option B.
I recently reactivated and got a free trial, which just ended. I was charged at the end of the free trial, not when I reactivated. So for me, it was "B".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.