Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2023, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Also just got the email. Thought it was spam. Their website does an awful job of explaining why this is necessary. And until you read the FAQ it doesn't tell you that it's required at all. I was going to pass.

Rather than give them my phone number I think I'll just wait until I'm at a Clear enrollment center after 11/30 and do the registration process then. What's the point of verifying my phone number if I have to see somebody anyway?

-RM
SPN Lifer and Majuki like this.

Last edited by RobOnLI; Nov 18, 2023 at 10:02 am
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Also just got the email. Thought it was spam. Their website does an awful job of explaining why this is necessary. And until you read the FAQ it doesn't tell you that it's required at all. I was going to pass.

Rather than give them my phone number I think I'll just wait until I'm at a Clear lane after 11/30 and do the registration process then. What's the point of verifying my phone number if I have to see somebody anyway?

-RM
RobonLi - could not agree more.
I received the email and thought "phishing or worse" for sure!! Clicked on the "learn more" button which does not take you to a page that allows you to learn more. In fact, the only way is to go to FAQs and search them!!! Doing that, I found this:

https://www.clearme.com/support?*=nextgen

Long list of "sub" FAQs under that single header but here's the top 3 of main general interest. Seems we have no choice but to upgrade?

Is this upgrade required?
  • Yes, Members will need to upgrade to CLEAR’s NextGen Identity+. This will power CLEAR’s Lane of the Future rolling out over 2024.
How is this different from the I.D. CLEAR has on file?
  • CLEAR’s NextGen Identity+ will be the highest fidelity digital identity . This enhanced standard builds on our multi-factor enrollment process and now includes data directly from the issuing source.
Why are we doing this?
  • NextGen Identity+ will unlock the CLEAR Lane of the Future. The CLEAR Lane of the Future, which will be rolling out over 2024, will deliver an even faster, more predictable airport experience for our Members. It will allow CLEAR Plus Members to verify their identity with their face (instead of iris or fingerprints) and eliminate the need for Members to stop at a CLEAR pod. Our vision is to keep you moving through the CLEAR Lane where you don’t break your stride.
SPN Lifer, lindros2 and Majuki like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
How to upgrade:
CLEAR Plus Members will receive their free upgrade to NextGen Identity+ in a few easy steps:
  • (1) Click the unique link emailed to you to create a one-time password to verify your phone number. (2) Starting 11/30/2023, if prompted please bring a valid form of I.D. (accepted documents: unexpired driver’s license, state I.D., or passport) to the airport the next time you fly. Pro tip: bring your passport for the fastest upgrade experience! (3) Our friendly Ambassadors will update your photo at a CLEAR Enrollment Pod to finish your free upgrade and keep you moving
I highlighted the passport bit above. Anyone have any thoughts on why the emphasize that?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I highlighted the passport bit above. Anyone have any thoughts on why the emphasize that?
I was wondering that myself. Perhaps the passport photo due to its stricter requirements is a better photo to capture and compare than the average driver's license photo.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Rather than give them my phone number I think I'll just wait until I'm at a Clear lane after 11/30 and do the registration process then.
Per the Clear FAQ:

Where in the airport do I go to complete my upgrade?
Head to an Enrollment Center where our friendly Ambassadors are ready to upgrade you. CLEAR Enrollment Centers are generally located next to the security checkpoint, and are separate from where we verify your identity as part of the screening process.
I don't know, but maybe aimed at those whose driver's license is not a Real ID.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know why the iPhone Clear app doesn't support Face ID/Touch ID?
Old Nov 18, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I just got the NextGen+ email today.
My thinking is that since CLEAR is great/fast in some airports (i.e. Washington-Dulles) but absolutely TERRIBLE in others (Atlanta-CLEAR+precheck), the "Lane of the Future" is the same as Delta's Digital ID, but across all airlines.
It sure can't make the Atlanta CLEAR experience worse.

(The only reason I retained/renewed is that AMEX Platinum paid for it)
Old Nov 19, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I'm basically batting 1.000 on "random" ID checks.

If it wasn't for Amex, I wouldn't be paying for this garbage product at this point.

Between Clear being closed often when I try to use (IAH A, LAX TBIT, MCI), or bad setup/long lines (LAS D, AUS) and now the ID debacle, I've been just avoiding it and going straight to PreCheck. Most of the time it's quicker, there are thankfully very few places I run into long Pre lines.

So the two things that this product promises are not being fulfilled any longer. They have a big problem.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
says Clear members will not have to stop at the podiums for iris/finger scans…
This would be really cool. Earlier in the year around May when I arrived internationally (LAX or SFO I forget) using Global Entry where you have to stop, scan your passport, answer the questions, get the printout etc, it was like I started to do the zombie-style I know what to do, blah blah, but as soon as I started it was different, faster process, no paper print out, it said advance to offices, facial scan while walking, the officer said “Hi Powers” and go ahead through. I mean the process was pretty quick before but could end up with a little line if the officer wanted to check each persons printout and passport, but this was like 30 seconds. So if they start that idea with CLEAR, cool, but also I can see getting stuck at the TSA officer podium. Also, I smell a price increase….since I live in Thailand and have Global Entry, I’ll have to think about it - the advantage seems to be lower rates for family members (up to 4, I think). Cheers!
Old Nov 20, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: Alaska, IHG
I was wondering the same thing

I just got the email today and definitely thought it was spam. Agree with everyone that “random” id checks seem to always select me, but my wife gets through easily every time lol. Hopefully this new approach makes Clear worth keeping :/
Old Nov 20, 2023, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Powers106
So if they start that idea with CLEAR, cool, but also I can see getting stuck at the TSA officer podium.
My guess is the new setup will remove the random ID checks where you get stuck at the Travel Document Checker (TDC) and interface directly with the Credential Authentication Technology (CAT), which is why they need a newer scan of a valid ID. The website alludes to the new setup verifying the ID with the issuing agency, which implies that it's using CAT or something similar.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD

I would think because they probably already have access to the homeland security passport photos, to compare but not necessarily all STATE ID photos, especially since REAL ID has been pushed back to 2025, and also probably because each state won’t agree to let CLEAR access their DOT/DMV database?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star

Originally Posted by Majuki
I was wondering that myself. Perhaps the passport photo due to its stricter requirements is a better photo to capture and compare than the average driver's license photo.
My guesses:
  1. Concurred with Majuki on photo quality (stricter requirements, consistent requirements, glasses not allowed in passport photo unless medical exemption) of the typical passport being higher
  2. If the passport is a biometric passport (which the overwhelming majority of passports now are), if the passport reader is equipped to read the biometric chip, it directly yank a copy of the passport photo in full quality as the Department of State (or other issuing authority, if not a US passport) has on file to keep on CLEAR's server for facial analysis matching, in addition to any data collected by the kiosk and traditional scans of document faces.
  3. As others have speculated, it's possible that CLEAR is agreeing to some sort of linkage to relevant agencies for comparison of travel doc validity. But if #2 is faster, it's probably because the image on biometric passports is taken with parameters designed for it to be used for biometric facial matching.
sxpsxpsxp likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card

Rather than give them my phone number I think I'll just wait until I'm at a Clear enrollment center after 11/30 and do the registration process then. What's the point of verifying my phone number if I have to see somebody anyway?

-RM
The phone number part is odd and not explained well in the FAQ. Looking forward to data points from others after 11/30 on how the phone number verification plays into this new process.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
The phone number part is odd and not explained well in the FAQ. Looking forward to data points from others after 11/30 on how the phone number verification plays into this new process.
I THINK they are going to implement something similar to ID.me, which is a facial recognition protocol and security, authentication protocol that the gov’t uses for various sites.. global entry, trusted traveller, IRS, others.

To authenticate the APP, one gets a text message, to then authenticate the app, which can THEN use app based 2FA after the primary authentication, which is multi factor, ID related, IMAGE related, third party verified, etc.

Ultimately, CLEAR could use their app, once authenticated to do a pre-flight individual authentication with facial image recognition, push that info up to CLEAR, which then is doing whatever their pre-flight CAT/TSA/Manifest etc. authentication and verification - seeing your upcoming flight, etc., and then once you are there at the airport, then their regular biometric SHOULD be enough.
Majuki likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 12:10 am

On Thursday morning, I proceeded to the CLEAR kiosks at SJC Terminal B, and I brought my passport to ask about getting things updated. The CLEAR employee said that they will be setup for the ID updates beginning in December, so I'll probably hold off until my Christmas trip to try to update things again.

The CLEAR employee added, "The expectation is that the ID updates and new CLEAR lane rollout will substantially reduce the number of random ID checks." Just as she said that, I got the random ID screen and replied, "Random ID checks like this?" with a smile.
SPN Lifer and RoAm traveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.