Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:22 pm

More info for tracking as other's info helped me

Wife and I:

Applied 1/4/14
Conditionally Approved 2/7/14

Earliest interview at time of conditional approval (Seattle Boeing Field): 8/8/14

Was on Manage my interview and rescheduling a few times of day. Moved up to June then May and finally got us both appointments early this week for next week 3/5-3/7.

Could have gotten in in late Feb slot a few times as last minute openings happened, but have been traveling so that didn't work. Was never able to find two open slots together closer in so we are going on separate days next week.

GOES currently shows earliest available appointment in Seattle as : 9/2/14

Moral of the story as others said is to keep checking early and often to find a better time that works for you.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by shibby
More info for tracking as other's info helped me

Wife and I:

Applied 1/4/14
Conditionally Approved 2/7/14

Earliest interview at time of conditional approval (Seattle Boeing Field): 8/8/14

Was on Manage my interview and rescheduling a few times of day. Moved up to June then May and finally got us both appointments early this week for next week 3/5-3/7.

Could have gotten in in late Feb slot a few times as last minute openings happened, but have been traveling so that didn't work. Was never able to find two open slots together closer in so we are going on separate days next week.

GOES currently shows earliest available appointment in Seattle as : 9/2/14

Moral of the story as others said is to keep checking early and often to find a better time that works for you.
It also helps to check other locations. In the Seattle area you can check out Blaine. I recently got my card and seriously on a Friday I checked and Sunday they had an opening (earlier this month) Was thinking of rescheduling. I had a conflict so couldnt' make that one, but they do open up. Also there is one in Vancouver City Center that (last month) was opening up slots on weekends two weeks out. Will be doing that for hubby when he is approved, as he applied after I did
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:25 pm

It looks quite clear that you can use GE before you receive the card as long as you have been approved.
But what happens if you fly from Canada to the US where there is pre-clearance?

I have been approved on 2/18, and CBP says my card was printed on 2/21, but still I haven't received anything. I am flying in a couple of days from Montreal Airport into the US: it seems clear that I can use Global Entry, but that may be irrelevant if, without the NEXUS Card, I am not allowed to use the preferential lane at the security checks. In fact, in the transborder terminal in Montreal first you go through security and then you go through US Immigration.

How will I be able to prove that I am a Global Entry member without the NEXUS Card? Anybody had this problem before? I called a bunch of numbers at the airport and they kept referring me to someone else, until I eventually ended up calling a number that only delivers a recorded message suggesting to call back some other time or to send an email.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:45 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncomfortable
It looks quite clear that you can use GE before you receive the card as long as you have been approved.
But what happens if you fly from Canada to the US where there is pre-clearance?

I have been approved on 2/18, and CBP says my card was printed on 2/21, but still I haven't received anything. I am flying in a couple of days from Montreal Airport into the US: it seems clear that I can use Global Entry, but that may be irrelevant if, without the NEXUS Card, I am not allowed to use the preferential lane at the security checks. In fact, in the transborder terminal in Montreal first you go through security and then you go through US Immigration.

How will I be able to prove that I am a Global Entry member without the NEXUS Card? Anybody had this problem before? I called a bunch of numbers at the airport and they kept referring me to someone else, until I eventually ended up calling a number that only delivers a recorded message suggesting to call back some other time or to send an email.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
You have to use the regular lanes at security, but you can use the Global Entry kiosks in immigration. You can get to the Global Entry kiosks without being in the NEXUS security lane. You don't need anything to "prove" your GE membership; just walk up and use the kiosk with your passport or green card.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
You have to use the regular lanes at security, but you can use the Global Entry kiosks in immigration. You can get to the Global Entry kiosks without being in the NEXUS security lane. You don't need anything to "prove" your GE membership; just walk up and use the kiosk with your passport or green card.
That's what I thought - which sucks big time!
In that case the benefit of being a Global Entry member is much more limited, since the hold-up is generally at security.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Ari
That's what I thought - which sucks big time!
In that case the benefit of being a Global Entry member is much more limited, since the hold-up is generally at security.
However, I have just checked in for my flight, and given that I have added the KTN to my booking, I have the TSA PreCheck printed on the Boarding Pass.
The only way you can obtain PreCheck if you are not a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident is by being member of a Trusted Traveler Program, allowing you to use Global Entry. Will that be enough?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
However, I have just checked in for my flight, and given that I have added the KTN to my booking, I have the TSA PreCheck printed on the Boarding Pass.
The only way you can obtain PreCheck if you are not a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident is by being member of a Trusted Traveler Program, allowing you to use Global Entry. Will that be enough?
As long as you have Precheck on your boarding pass, head to the Precheck lane.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:29 pm

An update from me too about the timing.

After being told that I had received a conditional approval on Jan 29, I finally received a letter on Feb 14 with the instructions to obtain an interview.

The first available appointment at Montreal airport was on May 7, so I tried for Champlain, NY, which had a few slots available for Feb 18, which was the following working day (since Feb 14 was a Friday and Feb 17 was President's Day).
I have had my interview and I am now waiting for the card.
When I thought I was near the finish line, I had to endure some more drama.
I was told my card was printed on Feb 21, but I hadn't received anything in the mail by Mar 22. So I called (again) CBP in Champlain, and they reprinted the card for me. I have subsequently realized that the system printed my address ignoring the second line, therefore omitting the apartment number, therefore the letter containing the first card was not delivered.

The new card was printed on Mar 27 and delivered by Apr 4.

I still have an open problem with regards to the use of GE kiosks. They do NOT accept my Italian passport (error message says that Canadian citizen member should use a Canadian passport, which I don't have since I am a Canadian LPR), and they do NOT accept the Canadian Permanent Resident Card. I have been suggested by CBP to use my NEXUS Card - I will try next time.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:16 pm

applied in the beginning of march, got conditional on 11 of April, lucked out with an appoint for an interview on the 16th of April. Everything went well, barely any questions, added GE to my passport. Officer said ill be getting the card within 7-10 business days. Just have a question about final approval, everyone says they got theirs from 5 mins to 2 hours after the interview. For me its already the second day and still no final approval? does that mean anything? He forgot to send the confirmation? should i just sit tight for a bit and wait or call them and ask?
Thanks in advance
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by stsniper
applied in the beginning of march, got conditional on 11 of April, lucked out with an appoint for an interview on the 16th of April. Everything went well, barely any questions, added GE to my passport. Officer said ill be getting the card within 7-10 business days. Just have a question about final approval, everyone says they got theirs from 5 mins to 2 hours after the interview. For me its already the second day and still no final approval? does that mean anything? He forgot to send the confirmation? should i just sit tight for a bit and wait or call them and ask?
Thanks in advance
I had mine in DFW yesterday and got final approval 90 minutes after the interview. I remember the officer saying it would take 24-48 hours so I wouldn't call until you get past that mark.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:06 am

Redacted

Last edited by MileageGoblin; Apr 18, 2014 at 11:10 am Reason: Responded to a GE post on Nexus Thread.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:24 am

DFW isn't a nexus outpost, with those approval times I assume you're referring to global entry and not Nexus?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I had mine in DFW yesterday and got final approval 90 minutes after the interview. I remember the officer saying it would take 24-48 hours so I wouldn't call until you get past that mark.
just called them, i was at 50 hrs mark. She said that the interview is a final approval and if they didnt ask for any other paperwork and took the prints etc then ill be good to go and the card will come in within 7-10 days. She promised to take care of it and a minute later i received the final approval. So i guess it does not really matter as long as interview went fine
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:09 pm

my original one took 2 weeks. my 10 yr old son took 2 weeks as well
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Applied for Nexus 3/26/14
Conditionally approved 4/23/14
Interview scheduled 7/23/14 at YEG

Need to interview in YVR, YYC, or YEG as I want the iris scan and can easily get to those locations. So I'll keep looking for earlier dates. YYC and YVR were well into August when I checked....

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.