Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skye1
MASSIVE coincidence---what a small world! I was on that exact, same flight, just "behind" you in J. "My" FA was absolutely amazing, but yes, I could tell that others weren't--as you posted later--as "polished."
Was actually intending to try out that Centurion Lounge pre-flight, but inbound from LHR was late arriving, and not enough time to stray over there.
Wow, small world indeed. FAs can make or break. Your J FA probably had lower seniority, hence the better service.

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Great report thus far. I think the "Girls of.." has made an appearance with the pics so far
LOL. Shh.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Guess I better start getting my point across or find another one
Nah, you're still too young for a permanent +1.

Originally Posted by sky303
Great report so far SFO777. Been in TYO and haven't checked FT in some time so it was nice to read up to here all at once. DL J JFK-NRT-MSP was really nice, so hoping your's is a good experience! Happy new year to you and your's.
Thanks very much sky303. Yeah, hoping it's not too disappointing. Broke the news to the Princess tonight that we were flying back J. The look was priceless. But the best part was telling her about the 4:00A wake up call. OK, I may be in some serious do-do here.

Originally Posted by flyr16
Great report, great pics. Fervor is excellent; you had some good dining advice^
Thanks flyr16. Fervor was great and we lucked out as walk-ins.

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I recently took AA79 in first class, on the 777-200 and would have to agree with your thoughts. I thought the meal was way above expectations and I was lucky and had a superb FA who I was moved to write in and compliment. My IFE was glitching, so she got me a Galaxy tab which has a much better picture.
According to AA.com, these are available to first class passengers on the 777-200. The FA told me they only give them out when asked or if the system fails.
Going home on the 77W next week so it will be interesting to compare, but I was shocked how good the flight out actually was. My only previous experience on a US first class flight was with United and that was dire. I prefer to spend my money on Asian airlines or Emirates First Class if im splashing the hard earned cash.
Thanks Gatwick Alan. I'm looking forward to trying the 77W in May.

Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
Those steaks look delicious, were you getting them Rare or Medium-Rare?
Medium rare.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Looks rare to me....but agree also. hard to tell how marbled but cooked very nicely....
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A grass-fed piece of meat is not going to be marbled. That is why it has a fat profile similar to skinless chicken breast. (Unfortunately a lot of the Argentina beef has gone feed-lot.) If this meat is cooked anything past barely medium, it is ruined.
Agree that anything past medium, even medium rare is a crime. We had mostly rib-eyes, all grass fed. They were excellent.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SFO777

Agree that anything past medium, even medium rare is a crime. We had mostly rib-eyes, all grass fed. They were excellent.
Sounds delicious. I'm having a "private chef" dinner tonight down here, and I trust his parrilla skills will be excellent. By the way, you did a great job at knocking the temp down for a couple of days. Some porteños even had jackets on the night before last.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm looking at the pictures of that suite at the Park Hyatt and shaking my head.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Great Report so far!! Loving it, like all your reports. Keep up the good work
I have a few questions regarding the Tango night at the Faena in Puerto Madero, hope you don't mind them..(I'd love to go in February)
Do you have to pay for the dinner with a menu like any other restaurant, while you watch the "free" show? Do you have to pay for the show + dinner, as in dinner's included in the fee (I didn't see prices on the menu's picture)? how much was it? (estimated, at least, if you don't mind).

Thanks! and keep enjoying the lovely Argentina
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Great TR!! I did expect a bit more from the girls of Argentina portion of the show...but still on cloud 9 that we have another TR to enjoy!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kcmd
Great TR!! I did expect a bit more from the girls of Argentina portion of the show...but still on cloud 9 that we have another TR to enjoy!
Deleted

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Jan 4, 2014 at 10:44 pm Reason: See below
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Maybe we'll get more eye candy on the girls of Chile?
Shhh...a certain angry mod will hear you...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Maybe we'll get more eye candy on the girls of Chile?
Ixnay on the girls a........don't wake the angry mod
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
SFO777,
Quite surprised you bailed on the Park Hyatt. That's not something I would have expected on a FT TR thread.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With most Mendoza restaurants closed on New Years Day, we only had a few options. But PH concierge Barbara came up with a gem. "How about dinner at a chef's home?" Really? Si, sign us up. On a quiet residential street a short 10 minutes from the PH is Ituzaingo Resto, one of the most unique dining experiences we have ever had. Gonzalo is an amiable host and creates a thoroughly enjoyable evening of wine, food and conversation. Gonzalo's friendly boxer Titi, welcomed us at the front door.

Gonzalo and his GF/SO.

Outside, the courtyard is beautiful with multiple seating areas in different settings under the trees. Only four other guests tonight made it a small and convivial group.

The tiny kitchen where the staff creates amazing meals.

We all enjoyed a variety of wonderful taste sensations, staring with gazpacho.

Great ceviche.

And the best empanadas of the trip.

For starters, we had a choice of fresh salad with trout or beef carpaccio.

For the main, I had the filet.

Perfectly medium rare.

Our buddy.

A quick three hours later, we bid adieu after a most enjoyable evening. Iuzaingo Resto, Gonzalo and Titi are musts for anyone visiting Mendoza.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 5, 2014 at 5:09 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PH concierge Jessica arranged a great day of wine tasting starting with Cobos and Ruca Malen. After checking out, we left the PH with our bags around 10:30A. Our personable driver Nicholas dropped us off at Vina Cobos. This great winery is part owned by Napa winemaker Paul Hobbs.

Excellent introduction to Cobos from our host Pablo.

And a tour of the facilities.

Followed by wine tasting in an intimate setting with only two others, a lovely Dutch couple who live in Barcelona.

Sad to leave, but more wine and food await a few kilometers down the road.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 6, 2014 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Next up was Bodega Ruca Malen where we had lunch reservations.

Spectacular setting on a perfect day.

Our front row table.

And great views of the Andes.

And a great lunch with six different wine pairings.

What an amazing lunch in an idyllic setting!

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 5, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since it was now almost 3:30P, we decided to pass on a third winery today and head right for the Cavas Wine Lodge.

OK, now we're talking!

And the walk to our villa.

And our room, just a little better than the PH.

Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The view from our rooftop deck.

And a selfie in the bathroom.

Dinner was outside under the stars.

With amazing views

And the main lodge at night.

Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sounds delicious. I'm having a "private chef" dinner tonight down here, and I trust his parrilla skills will be excellent. By the way, you did a great job at knocking the temp down for a couple of days. Some porteños even had jackets on the night before last.
Eastbay1K, you are most welcome for the bearable temps. Hope you're having a great time.

Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm looking at the pictures of that suite at the Park Hyatt and shaking my head.
Sure didn't look like any Park Hyatt I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by tuchop
Great Report so far!! Loving it, like all your reports. Keep up the good work
I have a few questions regarding the Tango night at the Faena in Puerto Madero, hope you don't mind them..(I'd love to go in February)
Do you have to pay for the dinner with a menu like any other restaurant, while you watch the "free" show? Do you have to pay for the show + dinner, as in dinner's included in the fee (I didn't see prices on the menu's picture)? how much was it? (estimated, at least, if you don't mind).
Thanks! and keep enjoying the lovely Argentina
Thanks very much tuchop. I believe the two options are dinner & show or drinks & show. Most tables went for dinner but at least one table was drinks and dinner. The dinner and show was not cheap, about USD 325 per person.

Originally Posted by kcmd
Thanks very much kcmd.

Originally Posted by fieldeng
SFO777,
Quite surprised you bailed on the Park Hyatt. That's not something I would have expected on a FT TR thread.
Surprised me too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.