Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by popoemt
Loving the TR, thanks for the view into your world for a bit, I have two questions for you (may have been answered in previous reports, but alas, i'm too lazy to go through all of them for the answers!)
1. What kind of camera are you using?
2. What brand of socks do you buy?
You may answer these questions in any order so desired!
LOL, thanks popoemt.
1. Canon EOS 60D
2. Marcoliani

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Rookie, come to PHX in the summer time, where it's 100+ degree at midnight.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Oh, most of us would rather be in PHX at midnight at 100F than EZE at 90+ with humidity so high that you cannot peel your clothes off.
The biggest misconception is, it's a dry heat....
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I have been in it many times. It does not compare in the slightest to this weather in Buenos Aires, where you compound the heat and humidity with the stench of steaming dog crap and garbarge, and once again, clothes that you cannot peel off without extreme difficulty. In comparison, it is a very dry heat.
Originally Posted by mkjr
yes. same with heat in HKG. 33C and 100% humidity as you see the water vapour clouds crash like waves over the mountains on hong kong island. No way in heck does the heat in Arizona even remotely compare with any destination with humidity that can get 90%....no bloody way.
the area PHX is a bloody subtropical desert...how can that compare????...oh yes, it does not.
Sorry FlightNurse, have to agree with Eastbay1K and mkjr. 100F in PHX or DEN is a lot more bearable than 100F in BA or HKG or NYC.

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I guess I'm not worried by this with the blood-line factor and all, but wouldn't a nice threat of being stuck for Y 12+ hours worry them?
Hell, I would drag the +1 for that to get the point across.
or waking them up at 2am over a Mistake fare lol
That would be you, United 4 Miles and the recent Delta Boxing Day sale
LOL. Some day you'll have to worry about a +1.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry FlightNurse, have to agree with Eastbay1K and mkjr. 100F in PHX or DEN is a lot more bearable than 100F in BA or HKG or NYC.

It was more of a joke, however, some people take things way to serious...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
At around T-50, we decided to head out for the long walk from the Centurion Lounge at D18 to D33. Although most gate area seats were taken and we had been sitting for a while we decided to be gate lice tonight. Spacious concourse produced few other gate lice as we walked up the front of the Priority AAccess line for a brief wait.

American Airlines AA 997
Dallas/Ft. Worth DFW to Buenos Aires EZE
777-200
7:30P-8:50A (sked)
7:30P-8:45A (actual)
December 28, 2013
Departed 14/15
Seats 4DG
MASSIVE coincidence---what a small world! I was on that exact, same flight, just "behind" you in J. "My" FA was absolutely amazing, but yes, I could tell that others weren't--as you posted later--as "polished."

Was actually intending to try out that Centurion Lounge pre-flight, but inbound from LHR was late arriving, and not enough time to stray over there.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Great report thus far. I think the "Girls of.." has made an appearance with the pics so far
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

LOL. Some day you'll have to worry about a +1.

Guess I better start getting my point across or find another one
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Great report so far SFO777. Been in TYO and haven't checked FT in some time so it was nice to read up to here all at once. DL J JFK-NRT-MSP was really nice, so hoping your's is a good experience! Happy new year to you and your's.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:54 pm

Great report, great pics. Fervor is excellent; you had some good dining advice^
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I recently took AA79 in first class, on the 777-200 and would have to agree with your thoughts. I thought the meal was way above expectations and I was lucky and had a superb FA who I was moved to write in and compliment.
My IFE was glitching, so she got me a Galaxy tab which has a much better picture.
According to AA.com, these are available to first class passengers on the 777-200. The FA told me they only give them out when asked or if the system fails.

Going home on the 77W next week so it will be interesting to compare, but I was shocked how good the flight out actually was. My only previous experience on a US first class flight was with United and that was dire. I prefer to spend my money on Asian airlines or Emirates First Class if im splashing the hard earned cash.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:56 pm

Those steaks look delicious, were you getting them Rare or Medium-Rare?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: FT
It was more of a joke, however, some people take things way to serious...
....now I get it....kind of like the quip by John candy in cool running a when they leave the airport in Calgary,...says, "It's not so much the heat, it's the humidity that'll kill you."...(sometimes text can not communicate tone well...)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
Those steaks look delicious, were you getting them Rare or Medium-Rare?
Looks rare to me....but agree also. hard to tell how marbled but cooked very nicely....
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mkjr
Looks rare to me....but agree also. hard to tell how marbled but cooked very nicely....
A grass-fed piece of meat is not going to be marbled. That is why it has a fat profile similar to skinless chicken breast. (Unfortunately a lot of the Argentina beef has gone feed-lot.) If this meat is cooked anything past barely medium, it is ruined.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Only 15 minutes from our hotel is one of the most convenient big city airports one can imagine. Aeropuerto Jorge Newberry (AEP) is the mostly domestic and private airport located on the water minutes from the tony Palermo district.

AR has a lot of check-in counters with many confusing signs. The main check-in counters including the Sky Priority lane was packed. We wandered away to another set of manned but empty counters marked Internet Check-in. Even though I had not OLCI'd, we walked up to one of the counters and agent cordially checked us in. No Sala VIP at the moment but there will be one once construction is completed on the renovated concourse extension for Gates 1-4.

Up the escalator towards security. Indeed pretty close to the water.

No one at security and we were thru without taking off shoes, or taking out liquids or laptops. Basically, PreCheck for everyone.

Not knowing what "Snack" meant in AR Premium Economy, we decided to have something to eat at the only game in town after security. This turned out to be a wise decision.

With our BPs showing a 1:55P boarding time, we headed over to our assigned Gate 6. The good news was that there was an AR 737 attached to a jet bridge at Gate 6. The bad news was that, after waiting 20 minutes, we found out that this was not our plane, or our gate. Finally at 2:10P, boarding was announced... at Gate 7. So everyone lines up at Gate 7... and waits another 10 minutes.

While naturally at least 9 AR gate agents stand around and chit-chat next door at Gate 8.

Finally really boarding begins with no apparent recognition of Sky Priority and we walked down a jet bridge and down two flights of stairs to the tarmac and our waiting bus for the 5 minute ride to "de plane".

Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Aerolineas Argentinas AR 1422
Buenos Aires AEP to Mendoza MDZ
2:40P-4:30P (sked)
2:50P-4:25P (actual)
January 1, 2014
Seats 2AC

Front "Premium Economy" was two rows of comfortable 2-2 J seating.

Much better than non-Premium Economy.

But the seat was apparently the extent of Premium on this flight. Once in the air, it took forever for our FA to deliver drinks. Turns out she was serving the non-Premium Economy cabin first before making her way up the Premium Economy. And naturally, no alcohol. No coffee either. Just Coke products or water, sin or con.

The old AA mini tray.

Meal-time! LOL.

This looks scary.

Even worse up close. I don't think so.

Other than the peanuts, the only edible part of the "snack"

A separate box for this sucker? I'm thinking this completely dried out muffin had been sitting around in the heat most of this past week, or month.

After delivering our meal and drinks, our FA disappeared back to Y- for 20 minutes. I played FA taking our trash up to the galley. Confused the heck out of the poor girl when she came to collect the trash. Other than admonishing me for taking a photo with my iphone ("no cell phones on Aerolineas Argentinas") this crew could care less about fully reclined seats on take-off or landing or even collecting drink glasses, which I had to hold on landing. All in all, AR seems sort of like Alitalia, in other words, a perfect member of the world's crappiest alliance.

On the other hand, can't complain about our on time arrival at MDZ and a jet bridge.

Naturally our Priority tagged bag came out pretty much at the end of the carousel delivery.

And of course, we need to x-ray our carry-on luggage on arrival on a domestic flight.

Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our excellent Park Hyatt driver Emilio (Emi)was waiting for us and dropped us off at the PH 15 minutes later. Beautiful looking hotel in the heart of Mendoza.

From the Park Hyatt website...

Unfortunately, the best part of this hotel is the exterior. Once inside, a pretty beat up no more than 3 star hotel. I've seen nicer Sheratons than this thing. Then again, the $200 a night price should have been a clue. Our upgraded Executive Room. Cheap furniture, dirty carpets, beat up walls and doors.

Yes, this really looks like a Park Hyatt.

The public areas of the lounge aren't much better. Not sure what is worse here, the guests or the staff that left the place in disarray.

We met our friends in the disappointing PH Wine Lounge and all of us agreed that we were not looking forward to three days in this place, lamenting that the Cavas Wine Lodge was completely booked months ago. I played around on my iphone and found a glimmer of hope. Cavas had availability on Friday with a color-coded calendar that suggested rooms might be available tomorrow. Called Cavas and pleasant front desk staffer said indeed they did have two rooms, quoting me the outrageous rack rate. After he connected me with the owner and some friendly haggling about a "last minute no-TA commission discount", we had two coveted peak season villas at the CWL.

The best part of the PH, and the toughest reason to leave were the concierges, Jessica and Barbara who booked an amazing dinner for us on Wednesday night and perfect wine tasting tour yesterday, Thursday.

Up next: One of the most memorable dining experiences ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.