Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Amazing report, thoroughly enjoyed it. How much weight did you put on ? you seem to be eating (and drinking) 24/7
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
What is this?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
My bad. Good catch AA_EXP09. That is indeed the blue rate. We are getting 8.5 AR$ per US dollar in stores and restaurants when we pay in USD cash.

Blue rate is currently 10 or slightly over.

I love this city!

You should fly down to Patagonia too, the glacier hiking made my trip!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:19 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
LSED, could you point me to a primer on the easy way to get the blue rate?

Keep up the good work, SFO777. You're making me hungry for 3 steaks a day now.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY

Search 'dolar blue/paralelo' and you should find websites that tell you what it is.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:41 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Yup. I actually got 9.7 pesos per USD in BA on Calle Florida.
Which when I paid for my stay at the IC Mendoza, that came out to under $60/night
Full RA benefits. A nice suite upgrade. And a nice minibar.
BA IC was under $100/night when paid at the blue rate cash.

And a 350gr steak in BA was then about $18 USD if paid cash at the blue rate.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:54 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Cavas Wine Lodge - that's a great find!! Rockstar ^
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
After a short night and an very early 4AM wake-up call, our driver picked us up at 4:45PM for the 40 minute ride to Mendoza International.
Turned out we didn't need to arrive when we did as the LAN 3 hour before departure presentation was a bunch of nonsense. But considering this was our only flight option, I didn't want to chance it.

The LAN check-in counter was pretty much deserted when we arrived.

Since there is basically only one gate beyond security and they don't want to co-mingle pax from two different flights, we sat for a good hour out in the terminal before it was "our turn" to go thru security and passport control. The line for security...

By now, the LAN counter line was packed.

Gate 1 and 2 and a duty free shop.

LA 937
Mendoza MDZ to Santiago SCL
A320
7:40A-8:30A
January 4, 2013
Seats 2CJ

As a One World Emerald, I was able to select cross aisle "Preferred" (E+) seats in the first four rows and get Preferente on my BP allowing us to be the first to board. Our preferred seats had a few extra inches of legroom, and with both of us on the aisle, the 40 minute flight was OK.

Our personable FA. No beverage service on the quick up and down flight. Although like on our MAD-FRA LAN flight last year, the purser personally welcome me (well actually Mrs. SFO since she was sitting in my seat) and one other pax and thanked us for being OW Emeralds.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 9, 2014 at 10:10 am
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With a 10PM departure, we had half a day to kill in Santiago. I booked a room at the San Cristobal Hotel where we could sleep rest prior to heading out to the airport. But in the meantime, I had arranged with Roberto, the San Cristobal concierge, to be met by a driver and a guide for a three hours tour of Santiago prior to check-in. Attractive city that seems a lot cleaner and more prosperous than BA.

Our first stop was the historic Mercado Central.

At the city's center, Plaza des Armas is historic Catedral Metropolitana de Santiago with construction dating back to the 18th century.

Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One of Santiago's most beautiful cathedrals still featuring damage from the recent earthquake.

Palacio de La Moneda, the seat of the President of the Republic of Chile.

And the square facing it.

The National Library.

And then east to the more modern, glitzy and tony parts of the city.

By now at almost 1PM, we were tired, passed on the funicular and headed for the hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

San Cristobal Hotel
A Starwood Luxury Collection Property
Santiago, Chile

As an SPG Platinum, I booked an inexpensive room at the Luxury Collection's San Cristobal Hotel, hoping for a upgrade on a slow weekend. Very attractive hotel that is adjacent to a Sheraton and shares some bar/resto facilities.

Talk about upgrades! Not bad for US$220.

And our view.

A nice feature of the San Cristobal is the top floor restaurant/bar with sweeping views of Santiago.

Unfortunately, by late PM the winds had shifted and smoke from a nearby forest fire had drifted over the city.

Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
San Cristobal Hotel
A Starwood Luxury Collection Property
Santiago, Chile

As an SPG Platinum, I booked an inexpensive room at the Luxury Collection's San Cristobal Hotel, hoping for a upgrade on a slow weekend. Very attractive hotel that is adjacent to a Sheraton and shares some bar/resto facilities.
What day were you there? And yes, that is the "standard suite" upgrade in which I stay more than not. I am hoping that once after all these years I'll get to see a terrace suite, but I don't expect that will ever occur.

Glad you seemed to enjoy Santiago on your brief visit.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
What a phenomenal trip. I've thought about visiting Buenos Aires before, but this really solidified that thought. Beautiful city. Thank you for sharing, as always, SFO777!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jason8612
We did on Jan 2nd:
Alta Vista
Achaval-Ferrer
Melipal
We did a lunch in Melipal and it was excellent. A 5 course tasting with wine pairing.
Did you really manage three wine tastings day? We blew off the 3rd one on Day 1 as we were already essentially "legally drunk".

Originally Posted by DCA1983
What a spectacular report in your series of them lately! I have to say, my favorite part is the quality of your photos!
Thanks very much DCA1983. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by catmndu
Thank you so much for the great commentary and choice pictures. I'm flying J tomorrow on AA from LHR to DFW and I just don't think my chicken will compare .
I was in Argentina a few months ago. You're reminding me why I need to go back.
Thanks for the great report (all of your reports are quite impressive)!
Thanks catmndu and for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Inspiring me to visit, thank you.
Pleased to see that you have been enjoying yourself in BA as opposed to on BA!
LOL. Funny I was thinking the same thing after I heard everyone in Argentina refer to Buenos Aires as BA.

Originally Posted by mike&co
Amazing report, thoroughly enjoyed it. How much weight did you put on ? you seem to be eating (and drinking) 24/7
Thank you mike&co. Yeah, this was a bad trip for weight. Most trips, I usually put on only 2-3 lbs. and can lose it in 48 hours once home. But this time, I added 6 lbs. As Mrs. SFO said "well, duh!". Then I flew the inaugural JFK-LAX AA321 on Tuesday so it's been a struggle. As of today, I've lost 3 and will have to eat light for the next few days.

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
What is this?

That's good question. It was an amuse bouche... I think some type of cream sauce/cheese with tomatoes. Maybe a variation of a gazpacho.

Originally Posted by lsed
Blue rate is currently 10 or slightly over.
I love this city! You should fly down to Patagonia too, the glacier hiking made my trip!
I only wish I understood the "Blue rate" thing better before we left as I would have taken a lot more USD.

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Thanks TravelerMSY. LOL at the 3 steaks a day. I'm sure some do.

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Search 'dolar blue/paralelo' and you should find websites that tell you what it is.
Good suggestion AA_EXP09.

Originally Posted by jason8612
Yup. I actually got 9.7 pesos per USD in BA on Calle Florida.
Which when I paid for my stay at the IC Mendoza, that came out to under $60/night
Full RA benefits. A nice suite upgrade. And a nice minibar.
BA IC was under $100/night when paid at the blue rate cash.
And a 350gr steak in BA was then about $18 USD if paid cash at the blue rate.
Yeah, there are some great deals if you bring cash. Even with a CC, BA is incredibly cheap compared to other big cities.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Cavas Wine Lodge - that's a great find!! Rockstar ^
Thanks worldtraveller73. We were fortunate to find avails at the last minute.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
What day were you there? And yes, that is the "standard suite" upgrade in which I stay more than not. I am hoping that once after all these years I'll get to see a terrace suite, but I don't expect that will ever occur. Glad you seemed to enjoy Santiago on your brief visit.
We were there on Saturday, 04JAN. Nice hotel, good-looking city. We were in 1471 and it looked like 1371 had the terrace.

Originally Posted by TexasTea
What a phenomenal trip. I've thought about visiting Buenos Aires before, but this really solidified that thought. Beautiful city. Thank you for sharing, as always, SFO777!
Thanks so much, TexasTea. Definitely worth the trip but don't leave without going to Mendoza.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 9, 2014 at 10:37 am
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Great photos! Reminds me of my trip to SCL a couple years ago, though I stayed longer than a few hours. Will you actually use the return portion of your ticket? I know how this ends, I don't know if MrsSFO will be joining you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.