Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dat4life
Well that would really depend on who you asked

The problem is given current availibility, I would have to fly PEK-HKG-SFO-DFW or LAX-IAH if I want CX F. If I fly AA F, it's a simple PEK-ORD-IAH. To be honest, after 2.5 weeks touring Asia and Australia the one connection is a little more tempting. Besides, I already locked in CX F on the outbound, as well as TG F and QF F on the A380 in between.

Also, I'll have a plus one to consider as well. Because of this travel companion, my planned LH F award tickets to HKG a couple of weeks ago turned into a UA J ticket, because " I'm the only idiot in the world who would fly to Germany to get to HKG from the US." Clearly she needs to spend more time on FT.

Anyhow, I certainly enjoyed your update on Buenos Aires. Looking forward to the rest.
Tell the travel companion that there is one person FLYING YVR YYZ MIA LAX SFO EWR BOM SIN instead of a one connection itinerary.
(3 different tickets, total cost for this was actually less than the preferred one connection itinerary, using valuation of 1.2 cpm for mileage. )
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Yet another excellent report. Definitely jealous of the warm weather while I'm here in Ohio, at least I have a trip to Pasadena coming up!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Yet again another superb report. You really know how to get these done SFO777. The pics from the tango night are great - I'd love some more. Looks like an amazing night.

Can't wait for the rest!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:11 pm

An outstanding way to start off the new year. Someone mentioned that you should have your own Forum. I think that is an excellent idea.

Have fun in BAires, it is one of our favorite cites. Do not miss the media lunas for bkfst (croissants), the dulce de leche at any time of day and make sure you head out for some empanadas. There is one restaurant, El Sanjuanino, just a couple of blocks from the Alvear, that has some of the best empanadas in the city.

Thanks for posting!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Well that would really depend on who you asked
The problem is given current availibility, I would have to fly PEK-HKG-SFO-DFW or LAX-IAH if I want CX F. If I fly AA F, it's a simple PEK-ORD-IAH. To be honest, after 2.5 weeks touring Asia and Australia the one connection is a little more tempting. Besides, I already locked in CX F on the outbound, as well as TG F and QF F on the A380 in between.
Also, I'll have a plus one to consider as well. Because of this travel companion, my planned LH F award tickets to HKG a couple of weeks ago turned into a UA J ticket, because " I'm the only idiot in the world who would fly to Germany to get to HKG from the US." Clearly she needs to spend more time on FT.
Anyhow, I certainly enjoyed your update on Buenos Aires. Looking forward to the rest.
Ah yes, the old "plus one". They just don't understand sometimes.
Glad you enjoyed the BA update. Day two was even better but I'm having trouble staying current and "live"... especially after arriving in Mendoza this afternoon and scrambling to find replacement for the dirty and depressing Park Hyatt. Probably the worst PH on the face of the earth. Happy to report that we are checking out of here in the morning as we lucked out and got two suites at the previously sold out Cavas Wine Lodge starting tomorrow.

Originally Posted by HangukStyle
Once again I'm so hungry after reading your trip-report... I'm also longing for warm weather, even though that 39 Celsius is a little too much. Thanks for creating this trip report once again.
Thanks HangukStyle. Agree that +39 is way too much!

Originally Posted by Digital01
Yet another excellent report. Definitely jealous of the warm weather while I'm here in Ohio, at least I have a trip to Pasadena coming up!
Thanks Digital01. Funny how it is when you are in this heat and humidity. Mrs. SFO announced tonight that she now only wants to go to cold winter cities for New Years. Yikes, I can't win.

Originally Posted by stu1985
Yet again another superb report. You really know how to get these done SFO777. The pics from the tango night are great - I'd love some more. Looks like an amazing night.
Can't wait for the rest!
Thank you stu1985. The tango show was amazing. Definitely a must for anyone visiting BA.

Originally Posted by flyr16
An outstanding way to start off the new year. Someone mentioned that you should have your own Forum. I think that is an excellent idea.
Have fun in BAires, it is one of our favorite cites. Do not miss the media lunas for bkfst (croissants), the dulce de leche at any time of day and make sure you head out for some empanadas. There is one restaurant, El Sanjuanino, just a couple of blocks from the Alvear, that has some of the best empanadas in the city.
Thanks for posting!
Thanks flyr16. We've left BA so that will have to be next time. But OMG, the empanadas I've sampled have been out of this world.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Loving the TR, thanks for the view into your world for a bit, I have two questions for you (may have been answered in previous reports, but alas, i'm too lazy to go through all of them for the answers!)

1. What kind of camera are you using?

2. What brand of socks do you buy?

You may answer these questions in any order so desired!

V/r, Tim
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks heramato. Unbelievably hot indeed, but what's worse is the high humidity. This was from last night. For those that aren't into C, that's 102 degrees F at 10.43PM. Wow.

Rookie, come to PHX in the summer time, where it's 100+ degree at midnight.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

Would you consider going through NRT perhaps?
Even in AA First, the Kaiseki meal they catered ex-NRT is anything better from PEK.
If you have a +1, JL F would be very hard to grab but understandable you avoided CX F since you're doing it on the way there.
Can you use your *Miles and perhaps grab NH, OZ or even CA F
That will be hard for me to do, give up LH F for UA J, the girl in my book would be asking to be dumped for being that brainless

Originally Posted by SFO777
Ah yes, the old "plus one". They just don't understand sometimes.
I guess I'm not worried by this with the blood-line factor and all, but wouldn't a nice threat of being stuck for Y 12+ hours worry them?
Hell, I would drag the +1 for that to get the point across.
or waking them up at 2am over a Mistake fare lol

That would be you, United 4 Miles and the recent Delta Boxing Day sale
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Rookie, come to PHX in the summer time, where it's 100+ degree at midnight.
Oh, most of us would rather be in PHX at midnight at 100F than EZE at 90+ with humidity so high that you cannot peel your clothes off.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Oh, most of us would rather be in PHX at midnight at 100F than EZE at 90+ with humidity so high that you cannot peel your clothes off.
The biggest misconception is, it's a dry heat....
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The biggest misconception is, it's a dry heat....
I have been in it many times. It does not compare in the slightest to this weather in Buenos Aires, where you compound the heat and humidity with the stench of steaming dog crap and garbarge, and once again, clothes that you cannot peel off without extreme difficulty.

In comparison, it is a very dry heat.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
yes. same with heat in HKG. 33C and 100% humidity as you see the water vapour clouds crash like waves over the mountains on hong kong island.

no way in heck does the heat in Arizona even remotely compare with any destination with humidity that can get 90%....no bloody way.

the area PHX is a bloody subtropical desert...how can that compare????...oh yes, it does not.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

On Day 2, we headed out down the street to check out some interesting buildings, like Ralph Lauren's home until the Argentinian government insisted he manufacture in Argentina. Shocker, he apparently no longer has a home anywhere in Argentina.

Run down place next to the Park Hyatt.

And the swanky Park Hyatt Buenos Aires.

Our tour continued with a short drive.

Teatro Colon.

Across the street to Plaza de Mayo

Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, may be fun but this seems just a tad unsanitary.

And yet another protest. According to our guide, this one a group of Falklands War recruits that were never sent into battle. Apparently they want the same compensation as those that actually saw battle. Seriously?

The Pink House.

And more interesting people watching.

Next, we drove over the old BA ghetto, colorful La Boca where Italian immigrants first settled.

Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And back to near the hotel, another great lunch at Fervor.

And later that night, the gala black tie New Years Eve celebration at the Alvear Palace.

Part of the elaborate pre-dinner spread.

And the ballroom scene with full orchestra playing big band mostly Glenn Miller songs.

And the tango show.

After a slow start to the new year, we struggled down to the lobby for our 12:30P car to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.