Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Once we landed, it was a quick taxi to what appeared to be a decrepit old terminal, leaks and all.

A modest 15 minute line at customs/passport.

And one of the worst and most chaotic arrivals lobby I've ever encountered.

Fortunately, our Alvear Palace driver was waiting in the midst of the chaos and we were loaded and on our way a few minutes later.

Twenty minutes later we were in the city.

And another 10 minutes later, we arrived at the beautiful Alvear Palace Hotel.

Where our wonderful butler Osvaldo arrived to turn down our bed before I could take all my pics.

Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Osvaldo returned a few minutes later with a gift to help us with our "nap"

After a couple hour nap and shower, down to the beautiful hotel bar.

And then to the Sunday Alvear Palace brunch.

After lunch, we took a taxi to the Evita museum which was only open Sunday during our stay. Even today, Eva Duarte Peron still evokes passion amongst Argentines. There is apparently no middle ground here.

Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Back to the hotel and then out to dinner later that night, to the beautiful Puerto Madero, a trendy renovated port area, with restaurants and bars.

To El Mirasol for a fabulous dinner. Tempting but we passed on the testicles. BTW, these prices are in Argentinean pesos, about 6.5 to the dollar on a CC or 8.5 to the dollar when paying in USD cash.

One of the best rib-eyes anywhere!

Back to the hotel for a nightcap.

And breakfast the next morning before our driver and guide met us for our first full day in BA.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 30, 2013 at 8:18 pm Reason: correct cash exchange rate per AA_EXP09 query
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I'm surprised that the restaurant itself offered to take USD at the blue rate-I had suspected that for most places, you would have to get the AR$ yourself (though I have made successful transactions of this sort in cabs, to be fair.)
The food pictures look good!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A few random comments:
(1) Nice report. I'm surprised that BA F is worse than this. On the other hand, I haven't been on a BA plane since 1981.
(2) I'm quite familiar with the "room service" breakfast cards, and they make a lot of sense, given that the FA can have the meal ready and let you sleep longer. However, the offerings are paltry. In LAN's J cabina, it is a quite extensive menu re: what sort of beverages, breads, spreads, sweeteners for your beverages, etc.
(3) The wine list. Oh the poor wine list. This is not an F wine list. That said, I've had NV Moutarde and it is delicious - I'd expect the vintage one to be better, and it is probably a great value for the airline and a very good product to serve. The rest of the list is weak. Price doesn't necessarily = quality, but I drink a lot better in LAN's J cabin (and some of their wines are at a similar price point).
(4) "Ask about our premium turndown service" is tacky, on a menu, in an F cabin. Not only should turndown service be standard in an F cabin (and not premium), it should just be offered. Why should you have to ask?
All in all, this looks substantially better than my last (2 years ago, before things even slid further) UA F flight. As far as "battle ax" crews, I find the senior crews to either be the best or the worst. I don't fear them
Thanks very much Eastbay1K for your comments. I'm not big on elaborate breakfast especially on a short flight like this, but the wine list is indeed pretty pathetic. As bad as BA is in food and hard product, at least they select some good wines... even thought they don't how how to chill them.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
2- My thoughts exactly. It looked like the choice was 'chicken' or 'chicken' so to speak. Somebody saw this being done on another carrier and thought it would be a great addition to AA F 'amenities' but then blew it by making the choices so limited.
3.- Not a wine expert, but I was surprised/shocked that the 'retail' prices for the inflight F wine list was so low -- and then to offer a 'tasting.'
Both of the above show me that the past regime that created all this 'marketing/communications' bluster was more focused on PR than product. It's shocking that AA can't make a run at offering a World Class F product on some key routes. I can't imagine it would be high on the Parker/Kirby list - however they do seem pretty attuned to throwing out stuff that engages the work force -- i.e. - choose the tail paint; get rid of executive parking. Having a 'real' world class F product would certainly be a halo if they do want a premium carrier. And with 5-star Service at their key gateways they certainly could significantly UP the ground experience without much incremental cost. In fact they could probably show ROI if offering 5 Star service to F pax increases paid ticket sales. That said, until they ax F on the 777s there are probably too many upgraders floating around the system to make it work effectively.
I don't have a problem with chicken since AA does chicken pretty well. With all the practice they get, they should be able to. But come on with the wines. Up your price point from $18 a bottle to $25-$30 and you can get some respectable 90+ point selections.

Originally Posted by stevie
Wow, that truly does not look like F class, the IFE, plastic cups, food. SFO - I supported you fully on the BA issues previously, but I would take BA every day of the week over that offering.
Simply put, F class Asia is excellent, Mid-East very close, certain Euro carriers very good, then the US carriers.
Originally Posted by gohima
I agree! Though the food certainly looks like it is improving, ice cream sundaes for dessert and $25 bottles of bubbly is not first class
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Especially considering CX has Haagen Dazs in Y (this was true as of September HKG-SFO)
Plastic cups and wine I fully agree with, but the IFE is not different than old BA First. And the food was way better than any recent BA F flight. IMO, it's a toss up between BA and AA excluding the game changing AA 77W, but stevie, you are delusion if you think BA First is remotely close to a quality Asian or Gulf airline or even LH/LX.

For the record, three recent disgusting BA First meals...

Originally Posted by fieldeng
The spa items are in fact free. The massage lasts 15 minutes. And yes we are blessed to have yet another SFO777 trip report. Should be another good one.
Thanks fieldeng!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I'm surprised that the restaurant itself offered to take USD at the blue rate-I had suspected that for most places, you would have to get the AR$ yourself (though I have made successful transactions of this sort in cabs, to be fair.)
The food pictures look good!
My bad. Good catch AA_EXP09. That is indeed the blue rate. We are getting 8.5 AR$ per US dollar in stores and restaurants when we pay in USD cash.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Originally Posted by SFO777
Hey, she looks just like Madonna!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Was that canned tuna inside your sushi roll in that brunch pic?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great report!

Great report, SFO!! I'm glad to see that you are continuing to live well. I hope you and the Mrs. have a happy new year. One question for you: How do your pick your hotels for your travels? Do you use tripadvisor or another guide to identify which is the nicest hotel?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, AF, BA, KE, SQ, CX, DL, TG
I am a bit disappointed to see that you flew on AA instead of KE.... I have been checking this forum everyday lately looking to see your report flying KE LAX-GRU and QR GRU-EZE....

Glad you enjoy AA.... I like the water glass!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by SFO777

OMG. That photo does remind me of Dubai during July+August where the temperature hits 40c during night time.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tegwj
Hey, she looks just like Madonna!
LOL

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Was that canned tuna inside your sushi roll in that brunch pic?
Hmmm... good question.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Great report, SFO!! I'm glad to see that you are continuing to live well. I hope you and the Mrs. have a happy new year. One question for you: How do your pick your hotels for your travels? Do you use tripadvisor or another guide to identify which is the nicest hotel?
Thanks SFflyer123 and for your kind wishes. Happy new year to you. We use an LA-based Virtuoso TA and generally rely on his suggestions since he knows us pretty well by now.

Originally Posted by concorde02
I am a bit disappointed to see that you flew on AA instead of KE.... I have been checking this forum everyday lately looking to see your report flying KE LAX-GRU and QR GRU-EZE....
Me too. If it were just me, I would have taken the KE/QR combo. But I know my limits with the Princess, and after our marathon three day trip home from Maldives, figured that it just wasn't worth it... this time.

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
OMG. That photo does remind me of Dubai during July+August where the temperature hits 40c during night time.
Good news, a cold front has passed through and it was down to 100 degrees F at 7PM last night.

Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: Meh
[QUOTE=SFO777;22053769]

but stevie, you are delusion if you think BA First is remotely close to a quality Asian or Gulf airline or even LH/LX.

QUOTE]

Just to clarify BA is nowhere near LH/LX and is more a J+ than F. So delusion has not set in despite the excesses of the festive period. My main point is that AA F class looks inferior to BA NF.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Bienvenidos a Buenos Aires, exchange rates are all over the place...

Under no circumstance should you use your card because you get the official rate, but even in the blue market the peso is all over the place 8.50, 8.80 on Xoom.com ( a great site to transfer pesos) or yesterday 9.5 at on of the bigger arbolitos/ illegal exchange spots on Corrientes...

temperature went down a bit, but this December is the hottest december in 43+ years...

ahh and Evita, it's either or here, no middle ground... and I'm a big hehe
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by concorde02

I've been tempted to take this, especially now that AS gives EQMs on KE - but that makes for an SFO/LAX/GRU/EZE trip (and I really don't like connecting @ GRU).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.