Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

For the past few years, we've been spending New Years traveling with our good SoCal friends. Last year was Sevilla, the year before Salzburg. This year we decided on South America and Buenos Aires. Despite warnings of heat and humidity and the reality of mostly crappy flight options to South America, we decided to roll the dice. Oops... believe it or not, this is an improvement over last night's forecast.

And memo to self: no matter how hot it gets, stick to the pools.
Pirhana attack in Argentina leaves at least 70 injured

And then there are our flights. No 5* or even 4* airlines on this trip, although I had flirted with and booked KE's LAX-GRU 77W. But leaving a day early and spending 8 hours in transit just didn't seem like it was worth the effort. That plus I waited until it was too late to safely send passports off for a Brazilian visa. What sealed the deal was we are now on the same DFW-EZE flight as our SoCal friends who are connecting from LAX.

American Airlines Admirals Club at DEN
American Airlines First Class DEN-DFW
American Express Centurion Lounge at DFW
American Airlines First Class DFW-EZE
Alvear Palace Hotel Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Aerolineas Argentinas Premium Economy AEP-MDZ
Park Hyatt Mendoza
Mendoza and Wine Country
LAN Chile Economy MDZ-SCL
Santiago de Chile
San Cristobal Hotel Santiago
Delta Business Elite SCL-ATL
Delta SkyClub at ATL
Delta Business Elite ATL-DEN

Easy drive to DIA this morning and we were at check-in at T-90, where the agent told told us that the fight was running about a half hour late. That's AA speak for at least an hour. "Thanks for getting us here so early" was the first of many witty comments from the Princess today.

One look at the 50 pax deep line at the South Pre-Check line, we headed to North Pre-Check where it was much better with only a few kettles in the line. A quick train ride to the first stop, Concourse A where the Princess came up with another good one, "Are we going to another club or the crappy one?" Sorry dear, we are going to "the crappy one" aka The Admirals Club, which IMO is better than the only other option here, the United Club, north or south.

More mostly recycles pics of the DEN Admirals Club.

And today's arrivals and departures, now with a more realistic but still optimistic 65 minute delay.

With the delay and no "lunch" on our DEN-DFW, we or rather I decided to have something at the AC and took a chance on the Cuban Pork Panini. Either I was really hungry or this was one very tasty panini. Mrs. SFO took one bite, exclaimed "wow" and proceeded to share my panini.

At T-20, we headed out to Gate A51 where boarding was just beginning.

AA 109
DEN-DFW
MD-80
11:55A-2:55P (sked)
1:20P-3:50P (actual and ETA)
December 28, 2013
Seats 5AB
Refreshments

Not much warmth to this crew today. No PDB and self-serve hang your coat.
Drinks and the furthest from the truth "Gourmet" Snack Mix.

First time in ages I've been on the AB side. I'll miss the Mad Dogs when they are retired.

Coming up: Our first look at the DFW Centurion Lounge

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 28, 2013 at 4:29 pm
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Do you never stop flying
Looking forward to this one as always. ^
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
1,000 calories and 51g of fat in a pannini? Wow indeed.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I noticed that too! I don't want to know what it would be for the UA chicken hot pocket they serve as the pre-landing snack on long BF flights.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Son.....Of.....A.......... Here i am having a great day.....and then i refresh the trip reports thread....and what pops up?????? ANOTHER.....SFO......TR..... I think the most depressing thing is.....you're not even in retirement......if you're doing this many TR's now......how many are you going to make when you enter retirement... (

You won man....i dunno what....but you won....lol.

Is it about time to have your own forum?..... you do realize you're creating addicts.....and if you so happen to slow down with TR's.....Phizer will have to make a drug to treat our accute SFO-TR-Itis....with the commercial that asks if we're suffering from it....and then the creepy guy in the middle describing all the nasty side effects while showing people having fun.....

Bravo sir......BRA-VO

Last edited by Tony3021990; Dec 28, 2013 at 4:09 pm
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
It's incredible... When your day gets boring, just open FlyerTalk and you'll find another SFO777's trip report.
I love Argentina, hope you can have a beautiful stay there!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Just as shocking IMO is the sodium in it!
Then again, keep in mind it is America...
For SFO777- I hope that you paid for the flight to Santiago in pesos before the restrictions came into effect...
(at the blue/black market rate.)
(then again, I don't have much experience with those flights as I have only used those flights as part of an international itinerary. If I were going by myself, I would use the bus.)
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777

First time in ages I've been on the AB side. I'll miss the Mad Dogs when they are retired.

Was super curious what you were doing in 5A/5B, knowing you, it's always 3E/3F or 6E/6F
And I'm guessing MDZ-SCL is an Avios ticket?
Glad to see you are doing Santiago de Chile as well ^

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
Son.....Of.....A.......... Here i am having a great day.....and then i refresh the trip reports thread....and what pops up?????? ANOTHER.....SFO......TR..... I think the most depressing thing is.....you're not even in retirement......if you're doing this many TR's now......how many are you going to make when you enter retirement... (

Is it about time to have your own forum?..... you do realize you're creating addicts.....and if you so happen to slow down with TR's.....Phizer will have to make a drug to treat our accute SFO-TR-Itis....with the commercial that asks if we're suffering from it....and then the creepy guy in the middle describing all the nasty side effects while showing people having fun.....

Bravo sir......BRA-VO
Bahaha, can you imagine SFO777 fully retired?
I think most of us want to still see his and the Mrs. adventures

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
(then again, I don't have much experience with those flights as I have only used those flights as part of an international itinerary. If I were going by myself, I would use the bus.)
Having met Mrs. SFO777 prior, I legit can't see her taking a bus nowadays, that is a divorce waiting to happen if so
Maybe the bus when there were still in college
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
If she lived in HK, then maybe she would rethink that as the costs of maintaining a car + fees for driving (petrol duty and tolls) would likely mean there is no money left to go on holiday (not to mention how much more difficult it is to collect mileage there compared to America.)
Then again, with BIS miles, it could be doable-though not 6-7x/year.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
If she lived in HK, then maybe she would rethink that as the costs of maintaining a car + fees for driving (petrol duty and tolls) would likely mean there is no money left to go on holiday (not to mention how much more difficult it is to collect mileage there compared to America.)
Then again, with BIS miles, it could be doable-though not 6-7x/year.
Not necessarily, I can think of a couple HKG people on top of my heart that I personally know that are equally like that.
Might see them taking the subway in traffic jam but definitely no bus.
They hired drivers to drive them in their luxury vans, have a couple Ferraris sitting in the garage, have multiple maids for housekeeping and still do 6x vacations (mix of short/long haul) in F/J a year.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Not necessarily, I can think of a couple HKG people on top of my heart that I personally know that are equally like that.
Might see them taking the subway in traffic jam but definitely no bus.
They hired drivers to drive them in their luxury vans, have a couple Ferraris sitting in the garage, have multiple maids for housekeeping and still do 6x vacations (mix of short/long haul) in F/J a year.
I went to hong kong on our way to SGN...... We took a tour with Bigfoot Tours (highly highly highly recommend them)....i would love to move there if i was loaded...they told us how expensive it is to get a drivers license.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Wow another SFO777 report! I just barely finished the other and got some more leisure reading to do as I'm on my own mileage award.

Wait - SFO777 in Business on Delta again? I'm surprised you (or more correctly so Mrs SFO777) would be willing to fly in J and not F.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For those that haven't been here, DFW is huge. I'm here 2, 4, sometimes 8 times a month and it grows on you. AA occupies 4 of the 5 terminals and the Skylink is clean, fast and efficient way of navigating your way around. We arrived at C17 and a few minutes later were on the Skylink for the long winding way around to the D terminal. One would think C and D would be next to each other but alas the progression here is A, C, E, D, B and a blank space presumably for a future F.

The D terminal is the newest and most attractive terminal. It also serves as the main international terminal.

AA has an Admirals Club in all four terminals. Been there, done that. So i was eager to visit the new Centurion Lounge. Amex is opening these lounges at a few airports (LAS and DFW so far). All one needs to gain entrance is an Amex Platinum or Centurion card.

Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Other than a few primo seats in the far end of the lounge, the non dining seating areas are actually fairly limited and not that comfortable. The U-shape design has most seating right near and beside foot traffic. All four of DFW Admirals Clubs are much larger with bigger and more functional business centers.

But no Admirals Club has a spa. Very nice.

The best feature and biggest draw is the open bar and the delicious food offerings.

All in all, a good addition to the DFW lounge scene. Despite its small size and tendency to get very crowded at times, I'd rank it high on the domestic lounge scene but only for the free food and drink. Without that, there is no reason to come here if you can access the Admirals Club.

Up Next: Pleasantly surprised by AA's International Flagship Service. They are really trying, but it's tough to teach refined Asian/Gulf service subtleties to a NA cabin crew. But all in all, even with old First, food, service and crew were worlds better than BA First.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 30, 2013 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenzo
Do you never stop flying
Looking forward to this one as always. ^
Thanks Jenzo.

But, but... look at the protein. And at least I only ate half of it.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I noticed that too! I don't want to know what it would be for the UA chicken hot pocket they serve as the pre-landing snack on long BF flights.
OMG, probably off the charts.

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
Bravo sir......BRA-VO
LOL. Thanks very much Tony for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
It's incredible... When your day gets boring, just open FlyerTalk and you'll find another SFO777's trip report. I love Argentina, hope you can have a beautiful stay there!
Thank you themapelligroup.

Just as shocking IMO is the sodium in it!
Then again, keep in mind it is America...
For SFO777- I hope that you paid for the flight to Santiago in pesos before the restrictions came into effect...
Ha! Yeah SHF nailed that one right. No way for the bus with the Princess.

Was super curious what you were doing in 5A/5B, knowing you, it's always 3E/3F or 6E/6F
And I'm guessing MDZ-SCL is an Avios ticket?
Glad to see you are doing Santiago de Chile as well ^
All the double EF seats were preselected so 5AB it was. No Avios, but I did get a semi "reasonable" fare for the 121 mile trip.

Having met Mrs. SFO777 prior, I legit can't see her taking a bus nowadays, that is a divorce waiting to happen if so
For sure.

Originally Posted by shogunate03
Wow another SFO777 report! I just barely finished the other and got some more leisure reading to do as I'm on my own mileage award.
Wait - SFO777 in Business on Delta again? I'm surprised you (or more correctly so Mrs SFO777) would be willing to fly in J and not F.
Thanks shounate03. Yeah, yeah I know. But there are just not a lot of great options to/from SA. Plus I get to burn some otherwise useless SkyPesos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.