Wiki Posts
Search

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:58 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Smile First class misconceptions

F--as we all know--is not the 'holy ground' it once was (with rare exceptions). Flying is not luxurious in any manner.

This question of what to wear in F is a much broader one (and I see thousands of lurkers to this thread who are no doubt intrigued by this question) which is really about comporting oneself in public.

Do you insist on wearing the team footie shirt in F or whereever (maybe to a restaurant, to work, where does it stop?)...or do you consider the wider implications of how you appear, your manner, your dress, your comportment and even your style in general.

Lack of civility: yes, we are all battered and humiliated by security checkpoint Yahoos, and we stand there almost naked and barefoot--so in a way who cares what we wear after that...as long as we get on the plane and get where we want to go. But...still there is a social framework here, a human requirement and social requirement for civility and good manners and thoughtfulness and respect to others.
You could arrive at a plane with uncombed hair, unbrushed teeth, dirty feet, and filthy nails and messy clothes and rumpled appearance and behave raucously--and social contracts start to break down, and you would be shunned and even loathed in the close companionship of a plane.
So just as one goes about the social convention of combing hair and brushing teeth--there is a greater consideration among adults, among grownups, to dress well and appropriately, to be well-groomed and clean, and to be kind and thoughtful to others, to respect the FAs on a flight, and to be courteous to others as they embark and disembark...being a good human.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by EOS
This question of what to wear in F is a much broader one (and I see thousands of lurkers to this thread who are no doubt intrigued by this question) which is really about comporting oneself in public.

Do you insist on wearing the team footie shirt in F or whereever (maybe to a restaurant, to work, where does it stop?)...or do you consider the wider implications of how you appear, your manner, your dress, your comportment and even your style in general.
Sure, why not? To paraphrase someone else up-thread, as long as they've got tops that cover their armpits, bottoms that cover their bottoms, and some kind of shoes (or at least socks on), and they don't smell bad, then why should it matter what the heck some stranger wears?

I don't own any "team footie shirts" nor even a baseball jersey which would be the closest equivalent I might own, but I've been known to go in public in conference or web-site-logo T-shirts which is not likely any more formal... to work, to restaurants (absent specific dress codes), really wherever I feel like. That's not my normal day to day wear, but that's a matter of my preference, not any particular belief that other people prefer me in one or the other.

I mean, if I were wearing the handful of my old heavy metal T-shirts with R-rated scenes of carnage and debauchery on them, you might have a point. It's a non-issue in my case, since none of those fit my girth any longer, but I can't imagine that anything like a team or conference or web-site logo or is going to risk giving offense of that sort.

I will sometimes dress up for a celebratory occasion, either because I feel like it, or because my wife likes it. Her opinion, unlike random strangers', does matter.

You could arrive at a plane with uncombed hair, unbrushed teeth, dirty feet, and filthy nails and messy clothes and rumpled appearance and behave raucously--and social contracts start to break down, and you would be shunned and even loathed in the close companionship of a plane.
Hey, as long as the appearance-related "hygiene" issues don't lead to a bad odor (something, frankly, I hit more often with the overuse of perfume etc than poor hygiene) or health risks for the rest of us, I don't care ... any random member of the public looks like.

Now, behaving raucously, that's generally obnoxious except in its time and place. If I'm out at a bar, and other folks are behaving raucously, well, if I wanted peace and quiet I'd have stayed home. But an airplane is not the time and place; if you want to talk with your seatmate, do it at a normal conversational tone and volume, and as for me, as long as other people mind theyr own business, I'll do the same and everyone gets along

So just as one goes about the social convention of combing hair and brushing teeth--there is a greater consideration among adults, among grownups, to dress well and appropriately, to be well-groomed and clean, and to be kind and thoughtful to others, to respect the FAs on a flight, and to be courteous to others as they embark and disembark...being a good human.
"Dressing well" to some external standard is so 19th Century. This is the 21st. An it harm none, wear what ye like.

Conflating silly matters of appearance with things that actually matter (being kind, treating others with respect and courtesy, etc) does everyone a disservice.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Betcha’ a golf shirt with an embroidered Amway logo would do the same thing.
*LOL* If people ever start buggin' me while I'm flying, I may have to get me one of those

Meanwhile, whether it's what I usually wear while traveling(*) or just my attitude, it works well enough.

(* with the exception of footwear, the exact same thing I wear most days: some kind of short sleeve shirt, whether polo or button-up, khakis or khaki-like pants in another color, and if I'm flying, usually sneakers. When not flying, I'll usually be in sport sandals instead.)
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by EOS
Looks like the thread--while chatting about clothes--has become about that old familiar theme 'hate the rich' and 'class hatred'.

Clothes and fashion:
Anyone can look good at any price today. So it's no longer about price or 'rich' (meaningless expression these days), or 'snobs' or 'looking rich'.

F and all other classes: How to travel:
Travel as you would go about your life--well-groomed, tidy, appropriate to the place, time, current styles, and season. Wear clothes that are appropriate to the setting. In a multi-star restaurant like the French Laundry, which is in the country, some men wear suits, or they turn up well-groomed and in nice fresh laundered (ha) shirts and slacks, polished shoes; and women wear a variety of outfits from luxurious jackets and major jewelry to country chic linen blouses and simple accessories, but all well-groomed, polished.
In F or anywhere: Wear clothes for travel,whatever your style and taste, that are pressed, clean--and especially clothes that fit and are flattering. The difference, many times, between a Parisian woman's chic outfit and, let's say, a London woman's outfit, is that French women get their tailor or seamstress to fit the coat or jacket perfectly. It may be from H&M, but the fit is perfect and flattering.
It's also in the demeanor: a slob looks antisocial. OK, go ahead and look like a sack of potatoes if looking 'out of it' and grubby gives you pleasure.
A well-dressed person (could be wearing a brilliant clean and pressed outfit from Goodwill!) presents themselves well, no matter the budget. They clean their shoes (could be from a charity shop) and are not 'in your face'.
In F: be considerate of others, espec FAs. Don't make a spectacle of yourself. Be polite and thoughtful, not intrusive on others. Look smart, not slobby.
Clothes: it's not about money!
What to wear in F or any other class: Make an effort. Be discreet.
And don't waste your time or emotions imagining that someone is rich or poor, based on your guess of how much their clothes cost (and the fact that they are in F).
Get over class hatred or loathing. Read a book, study, send a love letter instead.
Excellent post by EOS!

That said, I don't see why a big difference should apply between what one would/should wear in coach or in F. However, in most cases there is an obvious difference in elegance, taste and quality of clothing displayed in Coach or F. The only times when people are seriously inappropriately dressed in F, they are usually Americans. I've seen US Americans in F with shorts and sandals or in jogging suits. So by inappropriate I mean first of all things that either show too much flesh or don't cover up unsightly feet enough (not to mention the stinky part), and, second, I mean clothes that one should simply not wear outside of the confines of one's own home because they are strictly leisure wear.

This goes along with the perceived notions of lesser class distinctions in the US (compared to Europe and possibly Asian countries), the almost cemented notion of Americans having bad taste and a certain rebel feeling by the inappropriately dressed. This rebel feeling is like an inverse, reactionary snobism. Where the European mocks the American, saying that they might have tons of money but that sure doesn't make them more cultivated or tasteful, the American seemingly strikes back by wearing horrendous outfits and not caring for social norms, saying that he/she doesn't need to conform to those norms because they have money and define their position mostly by money. This in turn just confirms what the European was thinking anyway. In other words, this thing goes full circle and is almost inevitable.

The reason this is more striking in F than in coach is that those Europeans that do fly F will mostly dress better than those that don't, at least if I can generalize a bit. Lower class Europeans often have quite bad taste, too, not unlike Americans. So the differences are not as readily visible. When you dress badly in F, you set yourself apart from the others. The pure fact that the question even comes up and is discussed for nine pages, shows that there are standards and that this is an issue.

Till
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
Very well covered, don't worry..

It's either that or changing the pants into a longer one and carry a sports coat.. It's casual and not too overkill

I'd say that wear something like me.. i.e short sleeved buttoned shirt, long pants, and sports coat.. As I said before, not overkill

I'd say that's a much better idea than the short pants (Are pants ever short? I thought pants are by definition long trousers.) and short sleeve shirt for international F. See my post above. In addition, you'll most likely be more comfortable, too. Personally, even I can get cold on an international flight. My GF calls me her thermal power station because I am always radiating a lot of heat but shorts plus short sleeve shirts would have me chilled.

I often wear a sport coat and long sleeve shirt. However, I take the coat off to sit down. When I wear a polo shirt, I bring a fleece or cashmere cardigan for added comfort and warmth, especially for overnight flights.

I do take my shoes off regularly, even though I know that safety wise that is not recommended. Fortunately, my feet don't smell at all so I can afford to do that without bothering my fellow passengers. I know it violates etiquette (don't take shoes off in public) but for once I don't care.

Till
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfar
I'd say that's a much better idea than the short pants (Are pants ever short? I thought pants are by definition long trousers.)
"Shorts" or "short pants" are normal American-English.

In addition, you'll most likely be more comfortable, too. Personally, even I can get cold on an international flight.
Ditto, and I'm also generally very warm. On the other hand, rather than a long sleeve shirt for my primary shirt, I'll generally bring a light jacket or long sleeve outer shirt so that I can layer that on when cold and won't have to be sitting in a plain white undershirt when too warm.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Excellent post by EOS!

That said, I don't see why a big difference should apply between what one would/should wear in coach or in F. However, in most cases there is an obvious difference in elegance, taste and quality of clothing displayed in Coach or F. The only times when people are seriously inappropriately dressed in F, they are usually Americans. I've seen US Americans in F with shorts and sandals or in jogging suits. So by inappropriate I mean first of all things that either show too much flesh or don't cover up unsightly feet enough (not to mention the stinky part), and, second, I mean clothes that one should simply not wear outside of the confines of one's own home because they are strictly leisure wear.

This goes along with the perceived notions of lesser class distinctions in the US (compared to Europe and possibly Asian countries), the almost cemented notion of Americans having bad taste and a certain rebel feeling by the inappropriately dressed. This rebel feeling is like an inverse, reactionary snobism. Where the European mocks the American, saying that they might have tons of money but that sure doesn't make them more cultivated or tasteful, the American seemingly strikes back by wearing horrendous outfits and not caring for social norms, saying that he/she doesn't need to conform to those norms because they have money and define their position mostly by money. This in turn just confirms what the European was thinking anyway. In other words, this thing goes full circle and is almost inevitable.

The reason this is more striking in F than in coach is that those Europeans that do fly F will mostly dress better than those that don't, at least if I can generalize a bit. Lower class Europeans often have quite bad taste, too, not unlike Americans. So the differences are not as readily visible. When you dress badly in F, you set yourself apart from the others. The pure fact that the question even comes up and is discussed for nine pages, shows that there are standards and that this is an issue.

Till
Well, what you said is true..

Every part of the world has its own 'taste' of what is appropriate and inappropriate.. I guess it's a matter of perspective and where you come from..

I'd say that's a much better idea than the short pants (Are pants ever short? I thought pants are by definition long trousers.) and short sleeve shirt for international F. See my post above. In addition, you'll most likely be more comfortable, too. Personally, even I can get cold on an international flight. My GF calls me her thermal power station because I am always radiating a lot of heat but shorts plus short sleeve shirts would have me chilled.

I often wear a sport coat and long sleeve shirt. However, I take the coat off to sit down. When I wear a polo shirt, I bring a fleece or cashmere cardigan for added comfort and warmth, especially for overnight flights.

I do take my shoes off regularly, even though I know that safety wise that is not recommended. Fortunately, my feet don't smell at all so I can afford to do that without bothering my fellow passengers. I know it violates etiquette (don't take shoes off in public) but for once I don't care.

Till
From what I've experienced, usually on Long-Haul flights, I find the plane can get a bit hot and usually am sweating. The FA told me that the aircraft cabin is in standard operational temperature of 23 Degrees Celcius... All I wore all that time is a short sleeved buttoned shirt, and long pants..

But I am always prepared for hot and cold weather since usually my destinations are both (USA and Asia).. But always, with proper sets of 'long' wears and 'short' wears.

Originally Posted by nkedel
"Shorts" or "short pants" are normal American-English.

Ditto, and I'm also generally very warm. On the other hand, rather than a long sleeve shirt for my primary shirt, I'll generally bring a light jacket or long sleeve outer shirt so that I can layer that on when cold and won't have to be sitting in a plain white undershirt when too warm.
I always have auxiliary long sleeved thick shirt and short pants.. At one point I'd even carry a sweater to use in flight..
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:06 am

First of all, thanks for the explanation of "short pants". I am still learning something new every day.

Wow, if you get too hot at 23 degrees you must be one "high burning" individual. I think it was Balzac who said the ideal husband always has the complementary temperature to his wife, so he can warm her when she is cold and vice-versa.

I like polo shirts because they are more formal than a plain white T-shirt and they protect the neck at least a little bit from those cruel drafts you can get in planes and that can lead to terrible muscle pain.

Actually, in this context I have already thought about using a hoodie sweatshirt even if that is so not my style otherwise.

Till
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I've experienced, usually on Long-Haul flights, I find the plane can get a bit hot and usually am sweating. The FA told me that the aircraft cabin is in standard operational temperature of 23 Degrees Celcius... All I wore all that time is a short sleeved buttoned shirt, and long pants..
23C = 73.5F, which is moderately warm for my taste - definitely short sleeves temperature, would be short pants weather if I was active, but for long periods sitting on a plane, not so much.

Then again, it definitely draftier in my preferred Y seats (31A/J on a AA 777s), and it can often get downright cold there.

I always have auxiliary long sleeved thick shirt and short pants.. At one point I'd even carry a sweater to use in flight..
I don't think I've ever kept a pair of short pants on hand for a flight, although it's not a bad idea - on longer trips, I do always keep an extra casual shirt (T or lighter polo) and underwear on my carry-on, just in case things get misrouted or I get to overnight when I'm supposed to just change planes
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:25 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by EOS
OK.... Football fans often identify with the team and want to draw attention to pride in the team.
The 'football club's traveling polo shirt' ? What colors?
There is something about the statement 'I'll wear that whatever class I'm traveling in' that reminds me of a young boy wanting to wear his Superman outfit everywhere.It's a bit like a 6-year-old saying "you are not the boss of me, I'll wear what I like' to parents.

Question: are you well-groomed and discreet or so you look like a dog's dinner or like you have had a three-dog night?
I would happily wear a business shirt and trousers with black leather shoes if that was a mandate I don't find that sort of thing uncomfortable, I just prefer this. The shirt in question isn't an on-field shirt, it's the shirt the team wears on travelling, it's yellow, and is collared with 3 buttons from the neck down, I just find it much more comfortable, this is what that shirt was intended for so I wear it.

As for am I well groomed, yes, I am aware of my appearance when I'm in public, I'm not the most fashionable guy in the world nor the best looking but I will run a brush through my hair, and I will usually shave the day of a flight. Ontop of that I don't drink, so I don't come onto a flight smelling like booze like a number of the supposed "well dressed" flyers do.

As an aside, I've never ever felt underdressed on a flight, in any class of travel and that's what I usually wear.

I must say I am intregued that I seem to be copping the brunt of "underdressed scum" stuff, just because my choice has a football team's logo on it.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Omnivore
I must say I am intregued that I seem to be copping the brunt of "underdressed scum" stuff, just because my choice has a football team's logo on it.
Can't understand why it's a big deal to anyone. Feet and armpits covered? Hey, go for it. Come to Boston sometime, where they'll kick you off the plane if you're not wearing Red Sox gear.

Mike
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I dress for me, no one else

So in my case it means dress pants, shirt and shoes as well as sport jacket. I almost never wear a suit on a plane just my choice. This is what I wear every week to and from Singapore. I fine these clothes comfortable because they have been tailored to fit me properly. From time to time I will loose the jacket. Also, I try not to judge others by what they are wearing.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Anyone who thinks they have to dress up to fly in a premium cabin is sadly lacking in common sense and is obviously not an experienced flyer as anyone who flies more than 250 000 miles a year will tell you
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC

<snip>

Wow, if you get too hot at 23 degrees you must be one "high burning" individual. I think it was Balzac who said the ideal husband always has the complementary temperature to his wife, so he can warm her when she is cold and vice-versa.
Well, I've lived so long in SE Asia with Air Conditioner almost every day.. 23 for me is warm especially on airplanes and after a glass of champagne pre-flight..

I like polo shirts because they are more formal than a plain white T-shirt and they protect the neck at least a little bit from those cruel drafts you can get in planes and that can lead to terrible muscle pain.

Actually, in this context I have already thought about using a hoodie sweatshirt even if that is so not my style otherwise.

Till
Wear what you feel is comfortable.. That's what matters

Originally Posted by nkedel
23C = 73.5F, which is moderately warm for my taste - definitely short sleeves temperature, would be short pants weather if I was active, but for long periods sitting on a plane, not so much.
Yes indeed.. I find domestic flights tend to have colder temperature settings but on long hauls, they tend to be hot.. And I prefer not just to sit, but to walk around, which my preferred choice gave me room to do so.

Then again, it definitely draftier in my preferred Y seats (31A/J on a AA 777s), and it can often get downright cold there.
I guess it's safe to say that on Boeing aircrafts the temperature tends to be colder but on Airbus planes, it tends to get a bit hotter..

I don't think I've ever kept a pair of short pants on hand for a flight, although it's not a bad idea - on longer trips, I do always keep an extra casual shirt (T or lighter polo) and underwear on my carry-on, just in case things get misrouted or I get to overnight when I'm supposed to just change planes
All depends on where your destination is.. And what 'troubles' you might expect..

Originally Posted by bizclassboy
Anyone who thinks they have to dress up to fly in a premium cabin is sadly lacking in common sense and is obviously not an experienced flyer as anyone who flies more than 250 000 miles a year will tell you
Not dress up I suppose, but dress comfortably.. That's what matters..
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes indeed.. I find domestic flights tend to have colder temperature settings but on long hauls, they tend to be hot.. And I prefer not just to sit, but to walk around, which my preferred choice gave me room to do so.
Whereas on long hauls, I tend to be asleep, pretty close to straight through. Which also drops my body temperature (most people's as well, I'd imagine.)

I guess it's safe to say that on Boeing aircrafts the temperature tends to be colder but on Airbus planes, it tends to get a bit hotter..
*lol* No idea. My only long-haul trip on an Airbus was an on A300 from JFK to LHR. The main thing I've found is that on Boeing widebodies, being near a widow exit makes things a little colder and being near a door makes it a good bit colder.

All depends on where your destination is.. And what 'troubles' you might expect..
True, that.

Not dress up I suppose, but dress comfortably.. That's what matters..
Well, dress to please yourself first; I'll also be in the "comfort" column, but if other people actually like dressing up (and assuming it's still less comfortable for them - I'm told not everyone finds suits as uncomfortable as I do) then they've got every right to do so. They just shouldn't expect the rest of us to do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.