Originally Posted by RI2KH2SU
The truly TRULY wealthy:

2. Don't post on messageboards.
Now that explains my situation
Old May 28, 2009, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dimramon
Apparently, I don't meet dress code requirements...

I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a baseball cap for a domestic flight in F.
None of my clothes were wrinkly, I just looked casual.
As F began boarding, I merged in with the others. A woman looks at me and sneers: "This is the first class line", to which I responded: "Good, I must be in the right place then". She turned around and didn't say anything anymore.

Maybe I should put on that penguin suit after all, next time.
Me yesterday in F in jeans and a tee shirt (but not looking like a slob.) Quite, read and listened to my Ipod, obeyed all crew instructions, and mind my own business. In back of me, man in dress shirt, tie, and dress slacks spends the entire boarding time screaming in his cellphone. FA advises turn off cell phones and this "nicely dressed" individual still screaming in his cell phone even as the a/c is being pushed back and the FA finally gives him and fourth and final stern warning. Said individual never shuts the h..l up during the flight rambling on about his business to anyone within ear shot. Who would you rather have in F class with you.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:32 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Smile The initial thread: 'appropriate in f'

Looks like the thread--while chatting about clothes--has become about that old familiar theme 'hate the rich' and 'class hatred'.

Clothes and fashion:
Anyone can look good at any price today. So it's no longer about price or 'rich' (meaningless expression these days), or 'snobs' or 'looking rich'.

F and all other classes: How to travel:
Travel as you would go about your life--well-groomed, tidy, appropriate to the place, time, current styles, and season. Wear clothes that are appropriate to the setting. In a multi-star restaurant like the French Laundry, which is in the country, some men wear suits, or they turn up well-groomed and in nice fresh laundered (ha) shirts and slacks, polished shoes; and women wear a variety of outfits from luxurious jackets and major jewelry to country chic linen blouses and simple accessories, but all well-groomed, polished.
In F or anywhere: Wear clothes for travel,whatever your style and taste, that are pressed, clean--and especially clothes that fit and are flattering. The difference, many times, between a Parisian woman's chic outfit and, let's say, a London woman's outfit, is that French women get their tailor or seamstress to fit the coat or jacket perfectly. It may be from H&M, but the fit is perfect and flattering.
It's also in the demeanor: a slob looks antisocial. OK, go ahead and look like a sack of potatoes if looking 'out of it' and grubby gives you pleasure.
A well-dressed person (could be wearing a brilliant clean and pressed outfit from Goodwill!) presents themselves well, no matter the budget. They clean their shoes (could be from a charity shop) and are not 'in your face'.
In F: be considerate of others, espec FAs. Don't make a spectacle of yourself. Be polite and thoughtful, not intrusive on others. Look smart, not slobby.
Clothes: it's not about money!
What to wear in F or any other class: Make an effort. Be discreet.
And don't waste your time or emotions imagining that someone is rich or poor, based on your guess of how much their clothes cost (and the fact that they are in F).
Get over class hatred or loathing. Read a book, study, send a love letter instead.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by EOS
It's also in the demeanor: a slob looks antisocial.
You say that like it's a bad thing! Airplanes, IMO are not a place to be sociable. If my outfit when flying says "leave me alone so that I can sleep/read/watch the movie," well, good! That's exactly what I want out of a flight.

Wear clothes [...] that are pressed
Why? Casual fabrics these days don't need it. They've even got 100% cotton now that doesn't need it as long as they come out of the dryer and get hung/folded promptly, forget about the old poly and cotton-poly blends that were the 1970s version of "permanent press."

I've got a couple of shirts that need ironing, and a couple of dry-clean-only suits. They come out for weddings, funerals, and the occasional particularly formal dinner. All told, they get worn around once a year. I might need them for interviews (or even daily at work) if I changed industries, but on my own time? Forget about it.

Last edited by nkedel; May 28, 2009 at 12:52 pm
Old May 28, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I'm thinking of wearing a short sleeved shirt, short pants, and a nice attitude to bear.. Do you think it's appropriate for International F?
Old May 28, 2009, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by EOS
Looks like the thread--while chatting about clothes--has become about that old familiar theme 'hate the rich' and 'class hatred'.

Clothes and fashion:
Anyone can look good at any price today. So it's no longer about price or 'rich' (meaningless expression these days), or 'snobs' or 'looking rich'.

F and all other classes: How to travel:
Travel as you would go about your life--well-groomed, tidy, appropriate to the place, time, current styles, and season. Wear clothes that are appropriate to the setting. In a multi-star restaurant like the French Laundry, which is in the country, some men wear suits, or they turn up well-groomed and in nice fresh laundered (ha) shirts and slacks, polished shoes; and women wear a variety of outfits from luxurious jackets and major jewelry to country chic linen blouses and simple accessories, but all well-groomed, polished.
In F or anywhere: Wear clothes for travel,whatever your style and taste, that are pressed, clean--and especially clothes that fit and are flattering. The difference, many times, between a Parisian woman's chic outfit and, let's say, a London woman's outfit, is that French women get their tailor or seamstress to fit the coat or jacket perfectly. It may be from H&M, but the fit is perfect and flattering.
It's also in the demeanor: a slob looks antisocial. OK, go ahead and look like a sack of potatoes if looking 'out of it' and grubby gives you pleasure.
A well-dressed person (could be wearing a brilliant clean and pressed outfit from Goodwill!) presents themselves well, no matter the budget. They clean their shoes (could be from a charity shop) and are not 'in your face'.
In F: be considerate of others, espec FAs. Don't make a spectacle of yourself. Be polite and thoughtful, not intrusive on others. Look smart, not slobby.
Clothes: it's not about money!
What to wear in F or any other class: Make an effort. Be discreet.
And don't waste your time or emotions imagining that someone is rich or poor, based on your guess of how much their clothes cost (and the fact that they are in F).
Get over class hatred or loathing. Read a book, study, send a love letter instead.
I don't think that this is a thread about the now popular hate the rich and love the poor (and I am not passing or giving judgement on this). It is more about that an individual in 'dress" or expensive clothing does not in itself mean better manners or behavior that one would want to associate with a F pax. And what has been pointed out in this thread, one can be dressed casually (but not too casually such as a tank or tube top) and still look good and well presented.

And I have to say, I was in the LAX AA AC last night and there was a group of rockers in tank tops, typical rocker jeans, and long hair (they without a doubt stood out). But I will say that they were very quite, not drunk like shunks, and the one band member that was asking questions of a front desk person was doing so in a very polite manner.
Old May 28, 2009, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
I'm thinking of wearing a short sleeved shirt, short pants, and a nice attitude to bear.. Do you think it's appropriate for International F?
AFAIC, if your feet and armpits are covered, you can wear whatever else you like. And everyone around you will appreciate the nice attitude. You should wear what makes you happy.

Sheesh, when did we all become so hung up on this?

Okay, question: Let's say I'm booked in coach but hoping to get a battlefield upgrade. Should I bring a suit and tie to change into if I get upgraded? Can I jump into a bathroom stall and come out instantly in my new clothes, just like Superman?

Mike
Old May 28, 2009, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by mikeef
AFAIC, if your feet and armpits are covered, you can wear whatever else you like. And everyone around you will appreciate the nice attitude.
^^^
Old May 28, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by mikeef
AFAIC, if your feet and armpits are covered, you can wear whatever else you like. And everyone around you will appreciate the nice attitude. You should wear what makes you happy.
Very well covered, don't worry..

It's either that or changing the pants into a longer one and carry a sports coat.. It's casual and not too overkill

Sheesh, when did we all become so hung up on this?
Ever since someone posted this thread..

Okay, question: Let's say I'm booked in coach but hoping to get a battlefield upgrade. Should I bring a suit and tie to change into if I get upgraded? Can I jump into a bathroom stall and come out instantly in my new clothes, just like Superman?
I'd say that wear something like me.. i.e short sleeved buttoned shirt, long pants, and sports coat.. As I said before, not overkill

Originally Posted by nkedel
^^^
Old May 28, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
Originally Posted by dimramon
Now that explains my situation
Same here!
Old May 30, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Some years ago, a number of corporations required employees traveling on company business to dress in business attire as they were "representing the company in public". I don't know if any companies follow that practice these days.
You're probably going to laugh but WWE does.
Old May 30, 2009, 3:48 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by roadkit
Damn Hippies.
We need a little 'Cartman' icon.
Old May 31, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
I usually wear a collared shirt (usually my football club's travelling polo shirt), jeans and a pair of sneakers, and I'll wear that whatever class I'm travelling in, never had anyone complain (well apart from people that don't like my Football Club).
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:51 am
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Smile Footie fan

Originally Posted by Omnivore
I usually wear a collared shirt (usually my football club's travelling polo shirt), jeans and a pair of sneakers, and I'll wear that whatever class I'm travelling in, never had anyone complain (well apart from people that don't like my Football Club).

OK.... Football fans often identify with the team and want to draw attention to pride in the team.
The 'football club's traveling polo shirt' ? What colors?
There is something about the statement 'I'll wear that whatever class I'm traveling in' that reminds me of a young boy wanting to wear his Superman outfit everywhere.It's a bit like a 6-year-old saying "you are not the boss of me, I'll wear what I like' to parents.

Question: are you well-groomed and discreet or so you look like a dog's dinner or like you have had a three-dog night?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by nkedel
<SNIP> Airplanes, IMO are not a place to be sociable. If my outfit when flying says "leave me alone so that I can sleep/read/watch the movie," well, good! That's exactly what I want out of a flight.
Betcha’ a golf shirt with an embroidered Amway logo would do the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.