Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
I just threw up in my mouth.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, IHC Plat, HERTZ gold, GF Gold, SAS Silver
I must admit, when on a full fare f or j ticket (where there is no F class available) I tend to dress in jeans and a shirt and "God forbid" flip flops - I am fairly young compared to many other passengers, and if I were smart, folk would wrongly assume I had been upgraded and worked for the airline. I tend to look at other smartly dressed youngsters and assume they are staff! Having spoken to other passengers in this catorgory, this is usually the case! So for me casual every time!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:57 am

I wear what I am wearing to work, so business casual on Monday mornings, and Jeans with golf shirt on Friday afternoons.

When I do get upgraded on a Friday, I see a lot of people wearing what you would expect to see in a typical office on casual Friday.

I also see folks in T-Shirts, dirty jeans, and steal toed boots while carrying a hard hat. I think someone dressed like that belongs in first class just as much as anybody, especially if they travel regularly. They, like myself, probably go strait from work to the airport.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
What is the big objection to flip flops?
Well, for one thing you could have your big toe ripped off in the ORD Admirals Club.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:22 pm

You have an infinitely better chance of dieing or being injured driving your car to work than by wearing flip flops on on air plane. However, I don't think we'll be seeing many advocates for not driving cars.

Although, I understand and accept why you would not want to wear or have people wear flip flops on air planes. That's totally up to you and I won't take a side either way. Just wanted to put that out there.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack
You have an infinitely better chance of dieing or being injured driving your car to work than by wearing flip flops on on air plane. However, I don't think we'll be seeing many advocates for not driving cars.
Yeah we all know the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport. I don't think that anyone here is advocating not doing anthing that has risk. We are just pointing out easy things to do to help your safety.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by AADJ
Yeah we all know the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport. I don't think that anyone here is advocating not doing anthing that has risk. We are just pointing out easy things to do to help your safety.
Yes, but because of the infinitesimally small possibility of that happening, you could apply that to anything.

I could just as easily say flip flops could save you by not allowing your shoe or laces to be caught in some wreckage and you having to take precious second to dislodge it instead of just sliding your foot out of the flip flop. However, there is such a remote possibility of either situation it just seems ludicrous to mention. That's all.

Last edited by TheCrackedJack; Jan 11, 2009 at 12:15 am
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by JenniferNAz
What is the big objection to flip flops?
Some people evidently have a kind of foot-phobia
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:20 am

I always try to look my best

Whenever i fly in First Class I wear a nice shirt pants and shoes. I feel that it represents who you are and it shows respect. If its an overnight flight then I would wear a nice polo shirt and a pressed pair of jeans or chinos. I consider flying in First Class like going to a business conference.

Now let me let you in on a little secret when I was 17 I flew in First Class from SJC-CDG-SJC and I was dressed in a suit and I had wine and beer without any questions asked. No check of the ID nada. Also on a flight from SJC-JFK-SJC when I was 18 no check of ID and I had wine and a Baileys no check of id. And in 2005 before I turned 21 I had another flight where there were no ID checks for alcohol. So my point is dressing up makes you look older. The flight attendant thought I was a 30 year old businessmen going to a conference.

Anyways dressing up does pay off.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
On weekends, Tokyoans dress down a lot - they wear their suits WITHOUT TIES.
Do Japanese schoolchildren feel their uniforms appropriate to wear on weekends?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Whenever i fly in First Class I wear a nice shirt pants and shoes. I feel that it represents who you are and it shows respect. If its an overnight flight then I would wear a nice polo shirt and a pressed pair of jeans or chinos. I consider flying in First Class like going to a business conference.
Respect for what? Unless you're a nonrev, travelling in F isn't a privilege, it's a right paid for with a large sum of money/miles.

Aren't you the famous danielonn who thought you were going to get the VIP red carpet treatment because you were flying on your birthday?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

There's a time and a place for formal dress, and I just don't think that a passenger jet qualifies as one of those places.
Agreed. It is not even semiformal.
You're just there to get from point A to point B,
In Y, yes.
not to engage in a formal event.

This is the part that I find silly, conceptually:

Guy 1: I am sitting in F, I should dress up
Guy 2: What about pax in Y?
Guy 1: Why would they need to dress up? They're in Y.

Sitting in F doesn't mean I'm more respectable/classy/etc than someone sitting in Y, it's just a hilarious perception issue.
Ask it like this: Y gets you from point A to point B - why spend huge sums extra to fly in C or F on the same trip?

A major point to fly C/F is to be seen spending money. Prove that you have the money to spend on unnecessary things, and the willingness to spend it.

Which is pointless if only complete strangers see you spending money. The point of business class/jet set is that the other rich people would recognize you and remember having seen you when you have dealings with them later.

But excess money and willingness to spend it is not the only thing to show off. Thatīs what dresscode is for: publicise your respect for those around. If you dress for comfort rather than for an informal event, what are you publicising? Bad publicity is worse than no publicity.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Down_the_back
I must admit, when on a full fare f or j ticket (where there is no F class available) I tend to dress in jeans and a shirt and "God forbid" flip flops - I am fairly young compared to many other passengers, and if I were smart, folk would wrongly assume I had been upgraded and worked for the airline. I tend to look at other smartly dressed youngsters and assume they are staff! Having spoken to other passengers in this catorgory, this is usually the case! So for me casual every time!
42? Hardly young are we?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack
I'd just like to know whatever happened to the notion that style and grace is about what's inside and not what kind of fabric is covering a person?
no doubt. i have worn flip flops in f. i fly fll-ewr, fll-las alot. i also wear a 15k rolex. does that make up for my shoes?
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Bare Feet are a Personal Irritation to Me

Originally Posted by 4444
no doubt. i have worn flip flops in f. i fly fll-ewr, fll-las alot. i also wear a 15k rolex. does that make up for my shoes?
Well, maybe the Rolex helps a little bit (better than 'golden nugget jewelry'. Your entire ensemble probably fits together quite well and the flip flops look a bit high end.

Bare feet are a problem. Here is a video I did about bare feet on my flights. Thats right, I pulled out my video camera.

Bare Feet In Flight Video from You Tube

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.