Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:09 am

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
This thread caused me to remember Caddyshack's slobs vs. snobs humor. Ty Webb (Chevy Chase) vs. the stuffed shirt Judge Smails, that scene where Danny dresses up in the sailing suit with cap and ascot to "fit in" and impress, etc.

Bushwood.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
Fly in Japan... almost everyone is in suits and ties...

And, while I'm not advicating a dress code per se, I do think there are some things that shouldn't be worn on an airplane, Flip Flops are my biggest pet peave, as are t-shirts. I know, it sounds ridiculous but if i'm in coach, i don't want your skin touching me...ever.
Unless she's stunning of course!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by number_6
You're flying the wrong routes. Try flying F on AF LAX-CDG. Stunning.
On the whole, the French do manage to dress better than almost any other group except for the Italians.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by joejones
At least in my company (investment bank), this game is all about insecurity among middle management. The executive-level people are so inherently powerful that they don't really care how they look. The uber-peons, on the other hand, try to outdo each other so they look less like peons.

Anyway, I think there's a big difference between this particular game and the notion of a "dress code" in an office, club, restaurant, airplane or wherever. The dress code is not there to show success or status. The dress code is there to show respect for yourself and for the people around you. Sure, you can say it doesn't matter, but it does matter to a lot of people, including the people who are giving you service.

Perhaps I say this because my mother was at one point an assistant manager in the MIA Admirals Club, and constantly sharing stories of the famous or powerful people who came through there--invariably accompanied by some line like "Sean Connery looked just as dignified and majestic in real life" or "KISS were dressed like a bunch of construction workers and the girls out front didn't even want to let them in."
great post. i call those middle management types the "near rich". they are the only ones who care about such trivial things. location is a big factor as well. when in nj i find the rat race to be in full swing. folks that earn maybe 150k but live in million dollar homes, with cl500's in the driveway, all talking about how they're gonna make the mortgage payment. in south florida it is a little more serene. no one cares who has what nor do i. when i travel, or go anywhere for that matter, i only expect people to be neat. i could care less if someone has a 4k suit on or they bought their dockers at wallmart. if you must dress for work then that is different. when i traveled for work we had to wear ties. i was a hockey player. not exactly surrounded by the tie wearing types. always found it funny watching grown men scramble to get someone to tie it for them so they would not be fined.

Last edited by 4444; Jan 14, 2009 at 8:42 am
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by macoz
My dress code is green for air travel and restaurants.
I pay for the service, I don't dress to impress the vendor.

If I am footing the bill, I dress as I please. If the vendor has an issue with it, I find another vendor.
^ Bingo! That's exactly how I feel.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by joejones
The dress code is not there to show success or status. The dress code is there to show respect for yourself and for the people around you. Sure, you can say it doesn't matter, but it does matter to a lot of people, including the people who are giving you service.
I'll often dress up for a nice dinner out or similar date-like-event because it's fun to do on occasion and my wife likes to see me dressed up.

Otherwise, dress the same pretty much any time I leave the house: khakis, and either a short-sleeve buttonup shirt or a polo. For longer flights, I tend to wear one of my more casual short-sleeve buttonups, because the more dress-shirt-ish ones tend to wrinkle too much and the polos tend not to wear well in other ways.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by N965VJ
It all started downhill when the airlines offered discounts to college students ~40 years ago. Next thing you know, there’s a bunch of hippies in jeans and tie-dye t-shirts onboard.
Damn Hippies.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UCBeau
My reasoning is that wearing a suit onboard (and I've done this plenty of times) is uncomfortable, so I choose comfort over looks.
And precisely what for are the airlines handing out free pajamas?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:09 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive, US, LH, DL
For long flights I wear what is comfortable as no matter what I start with, it doesn't look so good after a 10hr flight.
Old May 27, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Apparently, I don't meet dress code requirements...

I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a baseball cap for a domestic flight in F.
None of my clothes were wrinkly, I just looked casual.
As F began boarding, I merged in with the others. A woman looks at me and sneers: "This is the first class line", to which I responded: "Good, I must be in the right place then". She turned around and didn't say anything anymore.

Maybe I should put on that penguin suit after all, next time.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:36 pm

What I have found is that the truly wealthy will wear whatever the heck they want. I know I do. I usually wear a t shirt and jeans in FC because I CAN. The people wearing clown suits are usually those TRYING to look wealthy but aren't!
Old May 28, 2009, 2:34 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by namecheap
What I have found is that the truly wealthy will wear whatever the heck they want.
I know I do. I usually wear a t shirt and jeans in FC because I CAN. The people
wearing clown suits are usually those TRYING to look wealthy but aren't!
I reckon those who CAN don't talk about it.
Old May 28, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by violist
I reckon those who CAN don't talk about it.
Except for the older guy that was on my flight three weeks ago who was bragging to the flight attendant about his Ferraris and his wife's Maseratis.
Old May 28, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
Originally Posted by namecheap
What I have found is that the truly wealthy will wear whatever the heck they want. I know I do. I usually wear a t shirt and jeans in FC because I CAN. The people wearing clown suits are usually those TRYING to look wealthy but aren't!
The truly TRULY wealthy:

1. Don't fly commericial.

2. Don't post on messageboards.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:19 am
pb3

Programs: BAEC - Blue - How the once mighty have fallen
Originally Posted by RI2KH2SU
The truly TRULY wealthy:

1. Don't fly commericial.

2. Don't post on messageboards.
I agree with you point 1) but I'm not sure on point 2)

Your first point brings to mind an article I read in a British paper - maybe the Telegraph.

It was written by a reporter who visited a top club in Barbados several years ago. It was apparently a favourite haunt of the very wealthy.

At one of the tables a businessman was showboating and let everyone at his table know that "he'd flown into the island earlier that day on Concorde!"

According to the reporter, a stately middle aged lady seated next to the businessman turned and gazed at him briefly and somewhat disdainfully. "Oh did you?" she said "My husband and I used our private jet".

According to the reporter the businessman stayed mostly silent for the rest of the evening.

Last edited by pb3; May 28, 2009 at 11:21 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.