Wiki Posts
Search

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by bniu
no real dress code these days in F, though most people who pay for F have enough sense to dress somewhat presentable. As long as you don't go looking like a hippie, most ppl couldn't care less.
Not really, people in F does not dress somewhat presentable. It is all about where were they coming from before they got on the plane. They dress business like clothing maybe they just came from a meeting, or once off the plane they are onto a meeting.

Also, there are really no way to tell if someone dress really causal if they are really paying for F or not. I have seen young college kids dress like a hippie flying in F, did anyone care ? No. If yes you are just discriminating people. FA just served him like any other pax.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by MWRFlyer
I wear whatever I have on already for what I have been doing previous to my flight
Hopefully the thing you have been doing previous to your flight is not swimming...
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:38 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I boarded a Pan Am flight SYD-HNL-LAX many moons ago in a first class seat. After I was seated I began to read my ticket jacket (orange background). On the back of it was printed examples of acceptable dress code. I checked myself over and found that I did not fit any of the examples so I enquired of the Stewardess if it was OK. She looked at my ticket and appologized saying that I had been given the wrong ticket jacket which was only for use by Pan Am non-revs.

When I flew the concordes the dresscode was obviously not enforced.

Some in very short leather skirts with lap dogs, Some in funky hippie clothes while others in pin stripes and a eau de funeral parlor about them. I had one of the latter assigned a seat next to me and when he observed my tacky outdoor work sweater and jeans asked to have his seat moved.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:57 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Some in funky hippie clothes while others in pin stripes and a eau de funeral parlor about them. I had one of the latter assigned a seat next to me and when he observed my tacky outdoor work sweater and jeans asked to have his seat moved.
So the point of this anecdote is that when you make assumptions about people based on how they dress, we laugh at them; when they make assumptions about you based on how you dress, we still laugh at them.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel
I fully support a ban on wearing bright lights, wearing clothes with long pointy objects attached, or carrying sprayers of caustic substances. Other than that, I am not sure how you are supposed to blind someone! :P
I was referring to :
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
This American would like to encourage German businessmen to stop wearing striped pants with plaid sportcoats and orange socks.
Maybe I should be worried about going deaf?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by thebat
I was referring to :
[...]
Maybe I should be worried about going deaf?
No, I got what you were referring to. I also got the but thought it would be funny to riff on literally blinding people.

Humor - you win some, you lose some, and *LOL* I lose more than most, but you gotta keep knocking those rocks together if you want to discover fire. Or something like that
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel

Humor - you win some, you lose some
This is a tough crowd.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by thebat
This is a tough crowd.
Try the fish
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
First Class Attire/Etiquette

New to this site and wanted to throw a topic out there concerning dress/attire/etiquette in first class.

I travel a decent amount for business and pleasure and have been DL Silver for a couple of years and hit GM a couple of months back. I frequently get bumped up to F and was wondering if other first class flyers ever get annoyed by someone who is underdressed? (Not sure if there are any Curb Your Enthusiasm fans out there, but the show touched on this topic a week or two ago)

I'm a younger member of the biz traveler public and work in the snowboard industry, so I'm usually dressed fairly casual, but nice.

Since I'll be traveling a lot this fall and have some F seats confirmed, I would also like to ask if anyone out there has any general etiquette tips for the F cabin?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ridepow
New to this site and wanted to throw a topic out there concerning dress/attire/etiquette in first class.

I travel a decent amount for business and pleasure and have been DL Silver for a couple of years and hit GM a couple of months back. I frequently get bumped up to F and was wondering if other first class flyers ever get annoyed by someone who is underdressed? (Not sure if there are any Curb Your Enthusiasm fans out there, but the show touched on this topic a week or two ago)

I'm a younger member of the biz traveler public and work in the snowboard industry, so I'm usually dressed fairly casual, but nice.

Since I'll be traveling a lot this fall and have some F seats confirmed, I would also like to ask if anyone out there has any general etiquette tips for the F cabin?
Yes, it is the same as coach.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
In the U.S., come as you are.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12682981-post50173.html
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
All I ask is that you don't wear your PJs to board the airplane and do you really need to take your own full size pillow for a 2.5 hr flight?

You don't have to look like you stepped out of the pages of GQ or your fav fashion mag but I have found that if your are dressed half-way descent you tend to get better service. Run of the mill chinos and a polo are fairly comfortable and are usually considered biz casual.

If you feel under-dressed then maybe your are. Spruce it up a bit to make yourself feel a little better. I am not one to get gussied up either and I do prefer comfort of style.

(The gate area isn't a play ground or romper room but that is another subject)
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I am most commonly in jeans (nice jeans) and an oxford cloth shirt.

Having slept on the ATL floor, I come dressed for the context.

Actually, its also appropriate dress for the refreshments served... peanuts and cheap beer... see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...gh-mojito.html

As for etiquette... Rule no. 1, do not ask the FA for both of the only two bottles of the Glenlivet that DL graciously provides for the FC cart.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:41 pm

seen people in Business class

Originally Posted by zman
Yes, it is the same as coach.

dressed like slobs; sad to go in public with dirty PJ's and bedroom slippers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.