Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by elusive1
I would be happy if people traveling in FC would just wear long pants and shoes. Nothing like a grown man in shorts, sandals, and a T shirt in FC.
If you are that easily distracted by what other people wear, bring a book or something.

Also, why would it matter if it was first or coach? It would seem to me that clothes matter more in coach, where you're all pressed up against each other - I'd rather avoid bare-skin contact, at least unless it's with an attractive woman of legal age (although I might want to avoid that too, if my wife is around )
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Thread Lazarus!

Anyway, here’s my hypothesis.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
no real dress code these days in F, though most people who pay for F have enough sense to dress somewhat presentable. I like to go with stone white or off white slacks, a nice looking t-shirt or jacket and nice pair of comfy sneakers. seems to be fine for me. some people wear collared shirts, I don't. As long as you don't go looking like a hippie, most ppl couldn't care less.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:33 pm

why would anyone care what any other passenger thinks of them? i wear whatever i feel like when i travel - be it in international f or on an rj in y. sometimes that means a jacket and tie; sometimes that means a t-shirt and jeans. if someone doesn't like it, that's just too damn bad.

it goes without saying though, that regardless of what i wear, i look better than most
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:09 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, IHC Plat, HERTZ gold, GF Gold, SAS Silver
I have no specific "outift" nor a style, it all depends on where I am going, what I do when I land and the length ot flight time.

If on an overnight flight, I usually have Jarmies in my carry on as I am usually bigger than XL's passed out by the airline (usually Emirates). I also find if I am on the suite service, (where you have your own door) I tend to be scruffier than usual as no one can see you anyway!

Last week on a DXB-LHR on the A380 in F I wore Shorts and Flip Flops, as I had a connecting flight to MIA on BA, so felt at home on both flights, although I was the scrufiest on the BA sector.

I never dress for other people nor on what they would possibly think of me on a day to day basis, so why think about it when I fly??
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
The point is that there is no dress code in aeroplanes, however much some of our American friends wish there were. People can and will dress as they please.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Mr H
The point is that there is no dress code in aeroplanes, however much some of our American friends wish there were. People can and will dress as they please.
Not this American. Hey, if you want to control the dress code on the plane, fly a private jet. Otherwise, you're stuck with the rest of us.

Mike
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Not this American.
No, not all Americans. But whenever people come on who do advocate a dress code, you can be pretty sure where they're coming from and it's not Europe.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
No, not all Americans. But whenever people come on who do advocate a dress code, you can be pretty sure where they're coming from and it's not Europe.
This American would like to encourage German businessmen to stop wearing striped pants with plaid sportcoats and orange socks.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
This American would like to encourage German businessmen to stop wearing striped pants with plaid sportcoats and orange socks.
That's exactly my point. Why do you think you should be able to impose your taste in clothes on other people?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
That's exactly my point. Why do you think you should be able to impose your taste in clothes on other people?
Well, you shouldn't blind people.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 2:29 pm

I dress for comfort not for others fashion sense. I have good hygiene so I don't bother them with stink...I am quiet so I don't bother them with noise...and I keep my hands and stuff to myself.

To fashion snobs: Mind your own damn business
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harper99
I dress for comfort not for others fashion sense. I have good hygiene so I don't bother them with stink...I am quiet so I don't bother them with noise...and I keep my hands and stuff to myself.

To fashion snobs: Mind your own damn business
^^^
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebat
Well, you shouldn't blind people.
I fully support a ban on wearing bright lights, wearing clothes with long pointy objects attached, or carrying sprayers of caustic substances. Other than that, I am not sure how you are supposed to blind someone! :P
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I can't believe there is an entire thread on this. I wear whatever I have on already for what I have been doing previous to my flight or what I have planned when I arrive. Long haul international is slightly different but then I just dress in normal, comfortable, casual clothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.