Reload this Page >

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dresscode on Commercial flights in First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by nkedel
Whereas on long hauls, I tend to be asleep, pretty close to straight through. Which also drops my body temperature (most people's as well, I'd imagine.)
I always have problems sleeping on a plane, but always managed at least 4-6 hours of sleep on a 14-16 hours flight.. The heat's always unbearable though..

*lol* No idea. My only long-haul trip on an Airbus was an on A300 from JFK to LHR. The main thing I've found is that on Boeing widebodies, being near a widow exit makes things a little colder and being near a door makes it a good bit colder.
Well my experience was on the A345 and A300, and they are warm if not hot.. I guess it also depends on the person..

Well, dress to please yourself first; I'll also be in the "comfort" column, but if other people actually like dressing up (and assuming it's still less comfortable for them - I'm told not everyone finds suits as uncomfortable as I do) then they've got every right to do so. They just shouldn't expect the rest of us to do the same.
That's true.. I particularly like dressing up, but on a plane I tried to have some common sense particularly when I'm flying long haul..
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:00 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by tfar
ESo by inappropriate I mean [...] clothes that one should simply not wear outside of the confines of one's own home because they are strictly leisure wear.
What if one is doing leisure time activity outside the home, or flying to a leisure destination?

Because temperature inside the plane or at the destination may not be very predictable, dressing to be able to handle various temperature conditions (e.g. layerable clothes) makes the most sense.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
I always have problems sleeping on a plane, but always managed at least 4-6 hours of sleep on a 14-16 hours flight.. The heat's always unbearable though..
I've managed to sleep 12+ hours nearly straight through (minus some barely remembered lav runs) on a couple of longer flights; the combination of a 1AM-ish departure and a 14 hour flight on the CX SFO-HKG flight are particularly conducive to it.

Well my experience was on the A345 and A300, and they are warm if not hot.. I guess it also depends on the person..
Yes; I generally run "warm" most of the time though, so it's a bit surprising. It definitely does vary person to person, and also temperatures vary between flights and even between seats (window, which I tend to favor for long flights where I might sleep, trend cooler.)
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:51 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Smile ANORAK

Originally Posted by tfar
Excellent post by EOS!

That said, I don't see why a big difference should apply between what one would/should wear in coach or in F. However, in most cases there is an obvious difference in elegance, taste and quality of clothing displayed in Coach or F. The only times when people are seriously inappropriately dressed in F, they are usually Americans. I've seen US Americans in F with shorts and sandals or in jogging suits. So by inappropriate I mean first of all things that either show too much flesh or don't cover up unsightly feet enough (not to mention the stinky part), and, second, I mean clothes that one should simply not wear outside of the confines of one's own home because they are strictly leisure wear.

This goes along with the perceived notions of lesser class distinctions in the US (compared to Europe and possibly Asian countries), the almost cemented notion of Americans having bad taste and a certain rebel feeling by the inappropriately dressed. This rebel feeling is like an inverse, reactionary snobism. Where the European mocks the American, saying that they might have tons of money but that sure doesn't make them more cultivated or tasteful, the American seemingly strikes back by wearing horrendous outfits and not caring for social norms, saying that he/she doesn't need to conform to those norms because they have money and define their position mostly by money. This in turn just confirms what the European was thinking anyway. In other words, this thing goes full circle and is almost inevitable.

The reason this is more striking in F than in coach is that those Europeans that do fly F will mostly dress better than those that don't, at least if I can generalize a bit. Lower class Europeans often have quite bad taste, too, not unlike Americans. So the differences are not as readily visible. When you dress badly in F, you set yourself apart from the others. The pure fact that the question even comes up and is discussed for nine pages, shows that there are standards and that this is an issue.

Till
HI TILL-
You are right that the Cole Haan anoraks are stylish and practical--though they are pretty sporty looking, not dressy. But they are light for travel. The black ones and the fold-up raincoat, are practical.

'REBEL'--yes, that 'I'll wear what I like' and 'You can't tell me what to wear' and 'dressing well is so 19th century' is a rather trite refrain in this thread. All the faux rebels!

Fine, OK, who cares if they are turned away from a bar or wedding or restaurant or club because they aren't dressed appropriately. Someone wearing inappropriate clothes in any cabin of a plane (the list of inappropriate clothes seen lately is very long)--looks clueless, out-of-it, slobby, and antisocial. Nothing will change the stance--faux rebel--and the impression that they never grew up.

Social comportment: being well-groomed, discreet, well put-together, respectful of others, etc, are all part of a civilized society. Some people don't want to do that, they reject the concept, or simply don't have a clue how to dress or any sense of style.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I am always very warm-natured.

In the winter, I often travel in [nice] jeans, polo shirt, and sweater. In the summer, I am mostly in khaki shorts and polo shirt. As soon as I board, I take off my shoes, but always leave on socks (or airline footies). On long-haul (intercontinental flights) I am in my PJs before boarding is even completed.

Unless the time is very short between end of meeting and check-in, I will get out of suit before I get to the airport and dress comfortably for the flight.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I've managed to sleep 12+ hours nearly straight through (minus some barely remembered lav runs) on a couple of longer flights; the combination of a 1AM-ish departure and a 14 hour flight on the CX SFO-HKG flight are particularly conducive to it.
SQ 37/38 leaves at 8.00PM, quite nice too since I usually arriving in the morning.. Never quite get nice sleeps on a plane..

The thing is, it grew quite cold at first.. Slowly, it goes warmer and warmer..

Yes; I generally run "warm" most of the time though, so it's a bit surprising. It definitely does vary person to person, and also temperatures vary between flights and even between seats (window, which I tend to favor for long flights where I might sleep, trend cooler.)
The config is 1-2-1, and I never noticed any differences.. Maybe just me though..
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
I am always very warm-natured.

In the winter, I often travel in [nice] jeans, polo shirt, and sweater. In the summer, I am mostly in khaki shorts and polo shirt. As soon as I board, I take off my shoes, but always leave on socks (or airline footies). On long-haul (intercontinental flights) I am in my PJs before boarding is even completed.
I don't know how you do it.. Everytime I took a summer flight back to Asia and took a fall flight, I ended up always having a thick outer coat, a sports coat, and sweater.. Guess living so long in 110F + 95% humidity brings something..

I also always took off my shoes and change to socks.. Quite comfortable, but my feet kinda smells, so I tend to do it as little as possible..

Unless the time is very short between end of meeting and check-in, I will get out of suit before I get to the airport and dress comfortably for the flight.
Always good to do that... I always look at my dad when he's scurrying off flying somewhere after a meeting not an hour before.. The plane literally waited for us to come aboard.. That was cool..
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
The config is 1-2-1, and I never noticed any differences.. Maybe just me though..
Maybe Airbus planes are better insulated? While I've rarely noticed it in international J (not that I fly up front all that often), I've definitely noticed it in domestic F/J on transcons.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EOS
'REBEL'--yes, that 'I'll wear what I like' and 'You can't tell me what to wear' and 'dressing well is so 19th century' is a rather trite refrain in this thread. All the faux rebels!
Oddly enough, though, none of the "I'll wear what I like" folks are telling you NOT to "dress better," if you prefer to dress more formally.

Fine, OK, who cares if they are turned away from a bar or wedding or restaurant or club because they aren't dressed appropriately.
Never been turned away from any of the above. Nor do I think I'm likely to.

I know enough to dress up for the rare trip to a formal restaurant; the vast majority of restaurants these days are casual dining where, frankly, nobody cares what you wear beyond "no shoes, no shirt, no service."

I've never heard of someone being turned away from a bar; there are some that get very formal crowds, and you might get an odd look going into them in very casual clothing, but so what? You're equally likely to get an odd look for showing up in formal clothes in a divey, casual place.

Clubs, well, not my scene. My guess is, though, that for the handful I've gone to if you show up in a business suit and tie you're going to stand out negatively more than merely unfashionable or ill-fitting casual clothing.

Weddings are, by definition, special occasions. Even there, while many are formal, not all are.

Meanwhile, work is the thing many people will most often dress up for, and AFAICT, in my industry places that require formal dress are the dinosaurs.

Someone wearing inappropriate clothes in any cabin of a plane (the list of inappropriate clothes seen lately is very long)
Inappropriate clothing on what is in essence mass transit is very limited.

looks clueless, out-of-it, slobby, and antisocial.
To the contrary, judging strangers on their clothing when you've got no business with them is the sign of a snob. Indeed, to a large extent unless "dressing well" is part of their professional capacity, judging people on it in a professional setting is largely the sign of a simple, superficial mind or a snob as well. Socially, well, there's no accounting for taste.

I'm rather reminded of the notion that you should judge a person on their watch. It seems rather odd, since it's jewelry with an original purpose that is now largely obsolete (who doesn't carry a phone?.)

Social comportment: being well-groomed, discreet, well put-together, respectful of others, etc, are all part of a civilized society. Some people don't want to do that, they reject the concept, or simply don't have a clue how to dress or any sense of style.
Conflating things that are purely a matter of appearance with things that actually impact other people has nothing to do with a civilized society.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:47 pm

Maybe Airbus planes are better insulated? While I've rarely noticed it in international J (not that I fly up front all that often), I've definitely noticed it in domestic F/J on transcons.
I think there's always something wrong with their temperature control, dunno for real though.. Maybe like you said, they are better insulated.. Who knows?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:39 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by EOS
HI TILL-
I could buy your arguments except that you keep harping on 'style'. It sounds like a fashion magazine writer or a clothing marketer rather than a real person - as trite as the 'faux rebels' you criticize, and has little to do with a civilized society.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Eirerogue
I too agree it would be nice to have folks a little more upscale in First. I'm appalled at folks in flip flops putting their feet up on bulk head walls and generally looking like a hobo. Yeah, I get the "rights" thing, but what ever happened to style and grace?

I'm still in the "wear a blazer" up front. YOU set the standards.
I typically wear khakis/ jeans/ dress pants with collared shirt -- for footwear especially for long transoceanic flights I prefer sandals (if weather at both end allows) or very light sneakers and loose socks [and then take sneakers off during ascent]. The comfort/ health of my feet has direct correlation how well I feel at my destination and following day(s).
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
Yup, that's my reason. I don't want your bare feet anywhere near me. I don't want to walk through security even in my socks on a floor that your bare feet touched. I especially don't want your bare feet within inches of me if I am in Y. It's a hygien thing for me.
No it's not. I wash myself once, sometimes twice or multiple times a day. On the other hand when was the last time you washed your shoes?

Certainly at any given time it's much more harmful for me to come in contact with your shoes than for you to come in contact with my feet.

I grant that wounded or diseased foot, should be appropriately covered/ bandaged just like any other body part that is healing. Also dirty feet are washed just like dirty hands [and much better than shoes after stepping in dog excrement.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I haven't read through the thread, but back in the 80's and early 90's when our family would take trips overseas on TWA in F, we would wear slacks and a button down shirt at the very least.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:16 pm

I would be happy if people traveling in FC would just wear long pants and shoes. Nothing like a grown man in shorts, sandals, and a T shirt in FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.