Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
What jobs/industries allow you to be a frequent flyer?

Being a photographer I have worked for myself for the last 22 years
As my client list grows around the world I travel to see them
Is it fun. Of course but I usually spend more time in the air then with the client
A few times I have had my wife come to where I am for a quick weekend getaway (usually india.)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by rankourabu
why not just get a good paying job with lots of vacation time, and fly where you wanna go, and enjoy yourself while there, without having to work when you get there
I think that's the question. For myself, I am not sure I want to have to travel for work. That means you don't get to enjoy the travel experience. What I would like to find is a type of job where my work schedule is flexible, or allows me to work while on the road, etc. so that I can do travel in my leisure time. Or even better, allow me to work from wherever I happen to be, and still pay enough to be able to do that.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Probably a similar set of answers as with previous times this question gets posted...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ess-class.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...er-flyers.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...what-jobs.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...re-travel.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19938343-post3.html

The last post link above has even more links within it.

My take is always, do a job you like, are good at, and that will earn you a comfortable living with good vacation/leave policies. For that matter, a job requiring lots of travel doesn't always mean the company travel policies are very employee friendly. Be careful what you wish for.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
why not just get a good paying job with lots of vacation time, and fly where you wanna go, and enjoy yourself while there, without having to work when you get there
I don't see these as mutually exclusive.

It's nice to have your company/client pay for flight, plus car/hotel for the weekend in lieu of flying home. Or have them pay for a flight to a 3rd location in lieu of a trip home (as long as the cost is equal or less). It's a lot cheaper than paying for yourself to fly on your vacation time.

And you can still travel where you want to on vacation time.

Management/Technology consulting. And I transitioned from "get to travel" to "have to travel" when my kids showed up.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Instead of re-hashing the same discussion every few months, we've merged a lot of recent conversations about what jobs and careers involve/require travel. Thanks for your understanding. /Moderator

Edit to add: The pre-2014 archive of this conversation can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...re-2014-a.html

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 15, 2015 at 12:55 pm Reason: edit to add archive thread
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yes but what positions and industries pay to fly to other continents in J (or preferably F)?
Banks, oil, electronics.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:29 pm

Since we have merged this...

What jobs out there allow you to work from home or while on the road, but do not require you to either a)own your own company, b)contract out, or c)have to be the worlds best expert in something?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Since we have merged this...

What jobs out there allow you to work from home or while on the road, but do not require you to either a)own your own company, b)contract out, or c)have to be the worlds best expert in something?
High-level diplomat?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
High-level diplomat?
OK, maybe one that takes at least a little bit of intelligence...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure that there are a lot of jobs in academia where travel is a significant portion of the job. If you are a faculty in some of the higher profile schools, or a high level administrator, you might travel a few times a year for a conference or two, but I rarely see it as a regular part of the job.
I know quite a few faculty in science and engineering who spend a lot of time traveling-- regular conferences, invited conferences, review panels, collaborations with other faculty, field work, and probably various other things.

I'm on the R&D side of aerospace and have had periods where I travel enough to make it up a couple levels in the FF hierarchy and other periods where I don't travel much at all.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Sales engineers and technical trainers frequently spend a lot of time on the road.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
My God - there are SO MANY jobs out there that require 75% or more time travel its amazing that people can't find them. Many of these jobs are in Sames Management, Sourcing, Production, etc. Most of these jobs are middle to management and you would be surprised how hard it is for my companies to find people willing to spend this much time on the road.

We have a number of employees who must spend 50-75% of their time traveling internationally, we offer what I consider and excellent salary, all business class travel and yet, we can't find enough "qualified people"

Its not hard to find a job where you spend a lot of time on the road but bosses are not stupid. Its a JOB!!! There fact the employee does not mind traveling is great but anyone applying who spends more time in the interview talking about "where will I go, who will I fly, etc ,etc will be shown the door. Travel is secondary compared to the reason for the positioning the first place.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Quote:

I think that's the question. For myself, I am not sure I want to have to travel for work. That means you don't get to enjoy the travel experience. What I would like to find is a type of job where my work schedule is flexible, or allows me to work while on the road, etc. so that I can do travel in my leisure time. Or even better, allow me to work from wherever I happen to be, and still pay enough to be able to do that.
I have a career, not a job. I make it a point to provide service to my clientele even when I am on vacation. My wife has pictures of me on my cell, consulting while impressive scenery is in the background. While it sometimes irritates her, one phone call may pay for the entire trip, and then some.

Last edited by 747FC; Jan 16, 2015 at 2:12 am
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
My God - there are SO MANY jobs out there that require 75% or more time travel its amazing that people can't find them. Many of these jobs are in Sames Management, Sourcing, Production, etc. Most of these jobs are middle to management and you would be surprised how hard it is for my companies to find people willing to spend this much time on the road.

We have a number of employees who must spend 50-75% of their time traveling internationally, we offer what I consider and excellent salary, all business class travel and yet, we can't find enough "qualified people"

Its not hard to find a job where you spend a lot of time on the road but bosses are not stupid. Its a JOB!!! There fact the employee does not mind traveling is great but anyone applying who spends more time in the interview talking about "where will I go, who will I fly, etc ,etc will be shown the door. Travel is secondary compared to the reason for the positioning the first place.
It's easy to find young recent grads willing to put in that amount of time. It's harder to find people with the experience you need that have settled down a bit.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:40 am

My husband and I work for city government, which means zero business travel (unless we're talking about a trip to Staten Island or the Bronx) but lots of vacation time and a decent salary. With strategic credit card bonuses, we travel internationally 2-4 times a year for almost nothing. Granted this is nothing compared to people who travel for business every week, but I'm very happy with my arrangement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.