Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Nominal
For my master program I'm currently looking at both accountancy-fiscality (so aimed towards accounting jobs at E&Y, PWC) and logistics management. I'd love to work in the airline industry so I will probably take that one.

Consulting does seem to be the best choise travel wise tho.
"For your master program"? OK. You're still in school. Consultants usually have a couple of decades in their industry before anyone will pay them a decent amount of money as a consultant. Find a career you enjoy then work toward converting that to travel opportunities.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
I am in the medical field, I hope that I can become a traveling doc once I am done with med school. ad locum work sounds good when you're still young!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
"For your master program"? OK. You're still in school. Consultants usually have a couple of decades in their industry before anyone will pay them a decent amount of money as a consultant. Find a career you enjoy then work toward converting that to travel opportunities.
It depends what type of consultant - the management consulting industry is mainly populated by people in their 20s.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Management/technology consulting.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Duffman
do you guys still only do latex at Vandelay or have you expanded to other products? We are looking to minimize our imports and just focus on exporting. Perhaps we can be in business together?
We expanded from latex to include pencils, although a rumor went around that we were importing potato chips.

You might be a bit late on the business offer - I just signed a deal with Pennypacker.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Management consulting (and in my mid-20s to answer the post above about having to be older to be a consultant).

I just left but M-Th travel was a constant pretty much every week over the year (in 3 years I earned top-tier status 1x on segments and the other 2x on miles)
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Duffman
do you guys still only do latex at Vandelay or have you expanded to other products? We are looking to minimize our imports and just focus on exporting. Perhaps we can be in business together?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It depends what type of consultant - the management consulting industry is mainly populated by people in their 20s.
Exactly. Boys who have a shiny MBA and know JS about how the world truly works. Sorry, but I have met a number of them over the years and to a tee, not one of them know the difference between value and price.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Finance

I fly 2x - 3x a week. Wish I flew less.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Get a job as a flight attendant or airline pilot.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Which goes a long way to explain their reputation ....
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by djmagnum
I am in the medical field, I hope that I can become a traveling doc once I am done with med school. ad locum work sounds good when you're still young!
I graduate at the end of this year, I just got offered my internship position today. I'd love to do locum work but that's getting more and more scarce where we are now.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:01 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Become a professional blogger lol
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
[Curiosity] The jobs behind the high-tier flyers

I'm CEO of Acme Enterprises, I've come across the Vandelay boys a few times, and I'm not really convinced they have the import export game figured out.

Seriously, running a fund helps travel. Travel to raise money, travel to spend it!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by timfountain
Exactly. Boys who have a shiny MBA and know JS about how the world truly works. Sorry, but I have met a number of them over the years and to a tee, not one of them know the difference between value and price.
Agreed. While other posters are correct that there are a lot of 20 somethings in the management consulting business, the big money and big travel opportunities are going to those with experience. No business (at least none that I've worked with) is going to pay $2,000/day for someone with a degree and 3 weeks of experience.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:55 am

I've only known once person personally with top tier status (Delta), and he did sales with a tech firm. He said he flew every 3-4 weeks, almost always in First class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.