FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/582808-what-jobs-careers-require-involve-travel-merged-2014-a.html)

mmff Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Hello everyone,

My youngest niece has just asked me what I do for a living and how it allows me to travel all the time*. She is particularly fond of the new stories I have to share every time I manage to meet her and my brother for dinner. I am an IT consultant based in Europe and she did not really like the description of my job after I explained her what I do for a living.

Then, it was just a matter of seconds until her second (and tougher) question: "What jobs allow you to travel all the time on the company's dime?"

I replied: consulting, finance (don't know exactly what positions, though), some academic positions, and of course... pilots and FA!

However, I can't help but feel that my list was embarrassingly short, so I decided to come here for help and have a "powerful" list the next time we meet.

She has a scientific background and a BSc in Applied Mathematics but she is bored and willing to make a radical career shift if this one perk is provided: (long haul) flying and travelling.

I must say that I am very curious myself regarding your answers! ;)

*The use of "all the time" was hers; compared to most of you I am just an occasional traveler.

cynicAAl Jan 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mmff (Post 22248096)
"What jobs allow you to travel all the time on the company's dime?"

I seem to notice flight attendants on a majority of my flights.

t325 Jan 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 22248545)

Every now and then I see a pilot on my flight too ;)

YOWzer Jan 29, 2014 3:58 pm

This questions come over time and time again. If you're truly interested, I suggest searching the forums as the answers are already there.

azeckel Jan 29, 2014 4:00 pm

FTers - What jobs?

Sales. If she has a biomedical background, could get into pharma or med devices. Not everyone is into sales, but it involves travel, particularly at higher levels.

mmff Jan 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 22248545)

Originally Posted by t325 (Post 22248572)
Every now and then I see a pilot on my flight too ;)

I remembered those. ;)

Originally Posted by YOWzer (Post 22248574)
This questions come over time and time again. If you're truly interested, I suggest searching the forums as the answers are already there.

I did search and I thought a new thread was in order, mainly because I did not want to necrobump. Besides, it would be nice to get some new/up-to-date answers. Thanks for the tip, though.

greg0ire Jan 29, 2014 4:06 pm

FTers - What jobs?

I also see ground crew...in case she likes to see other people travel.

ExpatSomchai Jan 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Business Development here

mmff Jan 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire (Post 22248612)
I also see ground crew...in case she likes to see other people travel.

I was under the impression that a ground crew was based at a specific airport all year round. Do they keep rotating and moving to different airports?

mmff Jan 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 22248619)
Business Development here

If I may ask, do you have several companies (in different places) as clients or do you work for a single multinational company?

mbece Jan 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Rockstar/Touring musician, some types of consulting, some positions in sales (I don't thing all the travel will be "long haul" though), PR, reporter/journalist (I have a friend who covers economic forums and another one who covers the F1).

mmff Jan 29, 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mbece (Post 22248673)
Rockstar/Touring musician, some types of consulting, some positions in sales (I don't thing all the travel will be "long haul" though), PR, reporter/journalist (I have a friend who covers economic forums and another one who covers the F1).

How could I forget about reporters and journalists?! Thanks!

ExpatSomchai Jan 29, 2014 4:17 pm

I work for a large multi national company which is Swiss based although I am UK based. We work in the Smart Grid Industry. My role, as a BDM, has me working with Agents and Distributors as well as directly with end users in the "Exotic" territories where we do not have local offices.

roastpuff Jan 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Sky marshals get to fly around too!

bwiadca Jan 29, 2014 4:26 pm

FTers - What jobs?

Engineering. I've been on the road since 2006. Spent about 1000 nights in a hotel since then :)