Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Search function can be tricky. Here are just a few threads on jobs/careers with travel:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...el-advice.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...re-travel.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ess-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ns-travel.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...bs-travel.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...academics.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...al-travel.html
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I don't think anyone would suggest you pick a job based solely on travel, it has to be a mix of things. Pay/enjoyment/future etc etc.

I think the biggest thing for these travel vets is the time spent away from people. For some people (I think the majority) this can be totally toxic for your personal life. It's nice and easy to catch up with friends over a beer "hey boys whatchu been up to? That's awesome! Man the ______ really sucked last night didn't they? I caught the game when I got home." But you can't do that with your kids or your wife. There's a connection there that can't be that casual.

For some people it's better, I don't have a family but as it stands I can't imagine being around the same person every day for years. I want that eventually, I'm just not sure how I'll deal with it. I find things to hate about EVERYONE, it's just my horrible cynicism . Even my best friends I have nitpicks about, one of my friends says "ehther" instead of "other", why I don't know but it bothers the crap outta me every time. I can only imagine people think the same things about me which is why I'm ok with being like that. For people like me I think the distance helps as long as there's a consistency to home life, like every month you're home for a guaranteed 7 days in a row or something.

I feel like you have to start as someone low maintenance too, you have to be able to roll with the punches and accept certain things because eventually when you grow a bit tired of travelling you have to have that in the back of your mind "well the airline doesn't control the weather" whereas some people just can't do that.

Do it while you're young and full-ish of energy and free time so that maybe later you don't need to.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:49 am

[Curiosity] The jobs behind the high-tier flyers

Whenever I come across status flyers of the highest tier, e.g. HON circle members, I'm always really curious to which kind of jobs enable them to fly so frequently.

I personally know a HON member who works for a stiftung, and travels all over the world to make donations. Of course, this is one of the few possibilities, but which other jobs do you guys know of that can offer such frequent and far travels?

I honestly would love a job which offers a lot of travelling and have almost finished my Business Administration degree, but to me it seems that such jobs are quite limited, but then again, I don't really know exactly which kind of jobs enable you to such things.

This kind of post might be unpopular on this board, but I sincerely hope I will be able to get some constructive answers. As a side note, I am not asking for your own specific job, but jobs in general that enable this kind of frequent travel.

Kind regards
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond

I don't fly at all for work but still maintain Gold with British Airways - I guess it's my hobby!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: QF
I suppose any job that grants you enough income and vacation time to travel frequently would be the obvious and easy one.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strategy consultants seem to travel a lot as they dish out their special brand of "value".
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Nominal
Whenever I come across status flyers of the highest tier, e.g. HON circle members, I'm always really curious to which kind of jobs enable them to fly so frequently.

I personally know a HON member who works for a stiftung, and travels all over the world to make donations. Of course, this is one of the few possibilities, but which other jobs do you guys know of that can offer such frequent and far travels?

I honestly would love a job which offers a lot of travelling and have almost finished my Business Administration degree, but to me it seems that such jobs are quite limited, but then again, I don't really know exactly which kind of jobs enable you to such things.

This kind of post might be unpopular on this board, but I sincerely hope I will be able to get some constructive answers. As a side note, I am not asking for your own specific job, but jobs in general that enable this kind of frequent travel.

Kind regards
I'm a consultant in the international oil business. I only fly 4 or 5 times a year, but it's always international and TPAC so I maintain high status with total miles.

I know a lot of people (I used to be one of them) who work rotational assignments (4 weeks on, 4 weeks off) and thus are flying internationally 6 or more times per year. They are often "normal" jobs like accountants, engineers, etc.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

Sales and consulting. If you want to travel internationally look for a job with international sales or consulting. Sales can be in almost any field - automotive - technology etc. The big consulting firms are also worldwide - PWC - EY - BCG etc. Or get a job in aviation - airlines - airframes or suppliers.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:49 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Easy job would be an exporting company
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum

I am in the export-import business for Vandelay Industries. However, I am thinking of quitting the exporting and focusing on the importing, so I imagine my travel will diminish.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond

do you guys still only do latex at Vandelay or have you expanded to other products? We are looking to minimize our imports and just focus on exporting. Perhaps we can be in business together?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I am in the export-import business for Vandelay Industries. However, I am thinking of quitting the exporting and focusing on the importing, so I imagine my travel will diminish.
Originally Posted by Duffman
do you guys still only do latex at Vandelay or have you expanded to other products? We are looking to minimize our imports and just focus on exporting. Perhaps we can be in business together?
Just don't let the guys at Kruger Industrial Smoothing find out about this new JV.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:42 am

For my master program I'm currently looking at both accountancy-fiscality (so aimed towards accounting jobs at E&Y, PWC) and logistics management. I'd love to work in the airline industry so I will probably take that one.

Consulting does seem to be the best choise travel wise tho.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I think status is determined as much by the corporate travel policy as the nature of the job - Although I suppose to some degree the nature of the job determines the policy.

I travel a lot for business, but always on economy, and always in the lowest 'reasonable' fare. As a result, I have status, just not great status.

If I worked for a company that allowed for business-class travel, or even economy tickets with additional benefits, I'd likely have a much higher status, even with my current job and current travel patterns.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Regional directors/VPs often have to travel to various markets that their company operates in. M&A teams often have to fly to the same places repeatedly to do deals and analyse potential markets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.