Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I just signed a deal with Pennypacker.
I hear Dunder Muffins is looking ...
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by timfountain
Exactly. Boys who have a shiny MBA and know JS about how the world truly works. Sorry, but I have met a number of them over the years and to a tee, not one of them know the difference between value and price.
I was one for five years and even at the time found people who would universally condemn a group of some of the smartest young professionals in the world a bit lame.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
No business (at least none that I've worked with) is going to pay $2,000/day for someone with a degree and 3 weeks of experience.
Pretty much all the Fortune 500 do. Obviously smaller companies haven't got the budget.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Pretty much all the Fortune 500 do. Obviously smaller companies haven't got the budget.
They pay experienced consultants that much. But I've spend my career either as an employee in one of those big companies or as a consultant to them. I've never seen one paying inexperienced consultants that kind of money.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
I graduate at the end of this year, I just got offered my internship position today. I'd love to do locum work but that's getting more and more scarce where we are now.
A doc I know lives in CO, but he travels all over the country. He flies out, does 2, 12 hour shifts, 1 day off, another 2 12 hour shifts and then flies home for a week. He basically works 8 shifts a month. It's part time, but its always in a diff place, earned his status on everything and its good money!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:20 pm
Suspended

PhD students in Computer Science present their research at conferences. I've been to Europe, Asia, and all over North America because of this. It's seen as a fringe benefit.

In fact, when I asked one of my friends who had his doctorate if he had advice for me when I entered grad school, he made a very serious face and proclaimed: "There are two rules for success in grad school: ONE AIRLINE ALLIANCE. ONE HOTEL CHAIN."
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Doctoral student in the Social Science/Humanities...(which is really not lucrative, but at least it allows me to travel).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:53 pm

Define inexperienced, $2K a day plus expenses is the going rate for any "senior consultant". So basically day one after getting an MBA, any of the big firms will charge that rate for any of their people. It doesn't mean that they have a ton of experience and may still be in their 20's after getting the MBA.

They pay experienced consultants that much. But I've spend my career either as an employee in one of those big companies or as a consultant to them. I've never seen one paying inexperienced consultants that kind of money.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My experience in the tech world, the consultants were more likely to have top tier hotel status, and the sales team was more likely to have top tier with the airlines. The former travel 1 trip a week and stay 3-5 nights. The latter would take multiple trips, but usually stay 1 night or even 0.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jeff191
Define inexperienced, $2K a day plus expenses is the going rate for any "senior consultant". So basically day one after getting an MBA, any of the big firms will charge that rate for any of their people. It doesn't mean that they have a ton of experience and may still be in their 20's after getting the MBA.
Depends on the type of consulting you do and how you define "senior consultant"

In my industry, a senior consultant has about 6-7 years experience and bills out significantly higher than $250/hour (that's analyst or junior consultant territory).

In the IT industry (e.g., Accenture), $250/hour for sr consultant is probably more accurate, maybe even top of the range.

Then again, we typically don't have armies of consultants descend upon a client billing out at $100-150/hour. Rather, we're more specialized and bill out accordingly.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I was one for five years and even at the time found people who would universally condemn a group of some of the smartest young professionals in the world a bit lame.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
20 years in the airline industry has taught me a number of things, one of them the following: Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, consult.

In my opinion, consultants is the biggest waste of time and money you can find. Paying someone to borrow your watch and tell you what the time is? No thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I am in the export-import business for Vandelay Industries. However, I am thinking of quitting the exporting and focusing on the importing, so I imagine my travel will diminish.
Lol
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:41 am

Your new McKinsey Business Analyst will typically go for about $3K (depending on the market) per day. A fresh MBA would be more like $4K. Obviously your Accenture type places will be quite a bit cheaper, depending on what it is they're doing.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
In my opinion, consultants is the biggest waste of time and money you can find. Paying someone to borrow your watch and tell you what the time is? No thanks.
At the company I work for, we are making a major architectural platform change in our outdated database. We need to do it as quickly as possible to minimize disruptions to our customers.

We lack the internal knowledge as to how to do this effectively - We could probably stumble through it, but would probably make mistakes.

Without consultants, how would you suggest we get this done in a timely fashion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.