Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by MyXa
I work for one of the MBB companies (management consulting) and the travel policy is that everybody flies couch if under 6 hours, if over 6 hours and you are manager or above then business class. So sorry to tell you but the traveling in business class only if you have the points to upgrade.
Wow - that's much harsher than any of the MBB firms has for Europe or Asia.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I agree. I love flying but would not want to travel weekly for work. It's not a holiday.

I would however, travel for pleasure every fortnight if I could.
Guess it depends on what you do, but I don't mind it. We usually have at least a few hours each day to ourselves after work, so I get to check out the places we visit.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: DL
I can see where a young person would see frequent intl' travel as glam. Although, coming from the loved one back home, it gets old.

My husband works for a large consumer products company and has flown back and forth to south america for years. At first, it sounded exciting but those 11 hour flights with little sleep get old...really old. It takes him a full day to rest up when he returns and there goes the weekend.

His company finally started allowing him to sit in business class but he still can't sleep.

If traveling is what you want to do, enjoy it while you are single and don't have children. Jet lag, time change, lack of sleep add up. It's not fun being the stay at home mom handling every single emergency at home by myself. Dogs dying, cars breaking down, family crisis...all by myself because husband is off in another country.

oh yeah...and he never gets to actually 'see' the other countries because he has to be back at work the following Monday. Sure he has vacation but those 150 emails a day (what you get when you're high up enough in the co.) keep on coming and it takes away from the vacay.)
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hisgirl

oh yeah...and he never gets to actually 'see' the other countries because he has to be back at work the following Monday. Sure he has vacation but those 150 emails a day (what you get when you're high up enough in the co.) keep on coming and it takes away from the vacay.)
I'm a peon and 150 emails/day is about average...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
What types of jobs do you get to fly a few times per month internationally in business class?

My friend is a lawyer for a top NYC law firm and he flew JFK-LHR in business class every week for the duration of one of his client engagements in London. Pretty sweet gig for a bachelor!
I disagree. After a while, he will be completely familiar with London and the subtle aspects of the flight that it will be not much different from taking the train to Boston.

Business class makes it easier to sleep, but that's the main benefit. The lounges are also nice.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Need Advice! Seeking a career that involves travel.

No idea where to post this so if the mods can put it in the right area that would be great (assuming there is a right area).

Like the title says, I need some advice on a career. Currently I'm a bartender at a night club in Vegas, and although the money is great and it allows me to travel, It's not as much as I would like to travel and when I am travelling I'm not making money.

I'm 30 years old. I have 2 degrees from the University of Nevada, Reno. One in Biology, the other in Nutritional Sciences. I also have a minor in Biochemistry. I am conversational in Farsi (95% Fluent but was never taught to read/write).

I'm in search of a job that allows me paid travel (preferably international) while still making enough to pay my bills (mostly student loans).

Being that a good portion of you travel for work, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or have some ideas?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
A list of associated threads can be found i this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23138523-post23.html
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It will take work to find appropriate positions, but try to leverage your Farsi language skills, perhaps in a company that imports or exports food products since your nutrition degree adds credibility.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This is more of a general travel topic than one about programs or using the site, so it will probably do better here in TravelBuzz. Good luck!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Shocker077
No idea where to post this so if the mods can put it in the right area that would be great (assuming there is a right area).

Like the title says, I need some advice on a career. Currently I'm a bartender at a night club in Vegas, and although the money is great and it allows me to travel, It's not as much as I would like to travel and when I am travelling I'm not making money.

I'm 30 years old. I have 2 degrees from the University of Nevada, Reno. One in Biology, the other in Nutritional Sciences. I also have a minor in Biochemistry. I am conversational in Farsi (95% Fluent but was never taught to read/write).

I'm in search of a job that allows me paid travel (preferably international) while still making enough to pay my bills (mostly student loans).

Being that a good portion of you travel for work, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or have some ideas?

Thanks!
I worked in hospitality for years and a couple of good friends were able to transition into sales/ account- management type roles that required travel. They were actually both recruited while working (one was a bartender and the other was a hostess - events planner).

People in hospitality are "good fits" because we often have the people skills to succeed in positions they heavily rely on such. Your two degrees are a bonus.

One thing though, I don't know much about LV job market, you may need to move to a business center where companies who do business internationally have offices.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:39 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

As the readers of the new additions to this thread can see, I've combined those new additions with this on-going thread. Post 23 of this thread will guide readers to other, related threads on this topic. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Thanks!
Farsi? I'm sure that the CIA and FBI might offer travel benefits.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Trying to stay away from the government jobs as I don't think they will pay as much in the beginning.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Trying to stay away from the government jobs as I don't think they will pay as much in the beginning.
But they are a way to build experience and credentials you don't currently have, which will enable you to vault into something more lucrative presently.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by 747FC
And degrees in biology and nutritional science! I'm glad I'm not the only one that immediately thought the CIA could make good use of that skill set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.